coyote hunting

If you have a Savage short action, you can buy a .223 bolt/bolt face and install a .17 barrel.

The cheapest way is to find a used one or a barrel for a Contender or an upper for an AR.

It is a handloader's game if you plan on shooting it much. A 22 hornet is another option or a basic 223 - all of those can be had for under $400. Some under $200.

I do have a Savage short action in .243, but it's a nice gun. So, I'd rather try to find a used .17 Rem, and buy the whole gun. I saw a Stevens .223 for sale today. Who makes a rifle chambered for the .223, and barreled for the .17 Rem?

I am fascinated by the idea of the .17 Rem for shooting yotes. I hope some others that use it will chime in with their stories about their experience in using it in coyote hunting. Does Walley World or Dick's sell the ammo? I don't have any rifle ammo loading equipment right now, so I'd have to depend on factory loads.

From the response on this thread, it looks like a lot of people are interested in hunting coyotes. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen Fred Thompson

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't look like savage makes one. Checked on gun broker for one there was one remington for under 500.

Thanks Jcochran88. It doesn't sound like many gun manufacturers makes a gun in the .17 Rem caliber. I'd like to find a used one in the $250 - $350 range, in good shape... probably me and a lot of other people too, huh?

Do you have one, and if so what make is it? Is Remington the only one to make one? If they're selling barrels for them, some manufacturer has to be making them in some quantity at least.

I'm looking for one, if anyone has one for sale...at a "reasonable" price.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

That AR would be bad news for coyotes In Tn you can't use buckshot except in areas by referendum. In other places (Michigan for one) buckshot has been used on deer for generations. My papaw told me if I was going to use buckshot, shoot twice automatically.

why is it bad news to hunt coyote in TN with an AR?

Guest Jcochran88
Thanks Jcochran88. It doesn't sound like many gun manufacturers makes a gun in the .17 Rem caliber. I'd like to find a used one in the $250 - $350 range, in good shape... probably me and a lot of other people too, huh?

Do you have one, and if so what make is it? Is Remington the only one to make one? If they're selling barrels for them, some manufacturer has to be making them in some quantity at least.

I'm looking for one, if anyone has one for sale...at a "reasonable" price.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

I don't have one but would like to get one soon.

why not just use a 223 with the hornady Amax fragment type bullet?

We reload and shoot coyotes and bobcats with 60gr Vmaxs, and they do a great job of dispatching them. As for the pelts, Tennessee pelts are useless 95% of the time anyway. And while the VMaxs will make quite a hole in a bobcat ... so will most any other centerfire round.

Bobcats can be called with the same sounds that attract coyotes. But they "usually" are more cautious to come to a call. I have seen them come charging in, but it is a rarity.

As for the pelts, coyote pelts are not worth the trouble to skin the animal, IMO. Bobcat pelts are worth a reasonable amount of money if you want to go to the trouble of skinning, prepping, and transporting to a buyer.

The hunters in the western US have a little different situation. They usually have better hides and buyers are more available.

If you can get Sportsman Channel, they have a show called Predator Quest (shot in the west).

I heard the host say on one show that he gets $100+ for coyotes and $300 to $400 for good bobcats. That might be worth a little effort, if you can find the market for them.

He shoots a 22-250 and really turns them for a flip out to a couple of hundred yards.

Good luck on which ever way you decide to go.

I heard the host say on one show that he gets $100+ for coyotes and $300 to $400 for good bobcats.

Now THAT'S hilarious! :screwy:

Coyotes that are PRIME pelts will max out at $40. Bobcat pelts fluctuate depending on the demand. I look at the pelt prices fairly often, and I've NEVER seen a coyote pelt over $50.

As for the .22/250 suggestion ... they will definitely drop a coyote out to 400 yards and beyond. Extremely dependable caliber that is also easy to load for.

I do have a Savage short action in .243, but it's a nice gun. So, I'd rather try to find a used .17 Rem, and buy the whole gun. I saw a Stevens .223 for sale today. Who makes a rifle chambered for the .223, and barreled for the .17 Rem?

You can swap a Savage back and forth. Takes about 20 minutes if you have 2 bolts. :D

I am fascinated by the idea of the .17 Rem for shooting yotes. I hope some others that use it will chime in with their stories about their experience in using it in coyote hunting. Does Walley World or Dick's sell the ammo? I don't have any rifle ammo loading equipment right now, so I'd have to depend on factory loads.

Then you probably want to stay with a .223. You can find the ammo at Cabelas and Gander Mt or mail order. It ain't cheap. The .204 Ruger works pretty good too.

Until you get hooked, stick with your 243 or a 223. You do want it cammoed or at least a camo sleeve.

Oh, Sako, CZ, and a few others make them. Not likely to find a used 17 Rem for under $350. The best chance for that is to buy a Contender frame and locate a $200-250 barrel. Not a bad option is a used .223 Contender and get a /17 barrel later.

why is it bad news to hunt coyote in TN with an AR?

Because it can have a 30rd mag, 2 pin swap of uppers - 1 for close range and 1 for long range. Given a little time, you could have a .223 for coyotes and a 17-223 for areas with coyotes, foxes, & bobcats.

Now THAT'S hilarious! :D

Coyotes that are PRIME pelts will max out at $40. Bobcat pelts fluctuate depending on the demand. I look at the pelt prices fairly often, and I've NEVER seen a coyote pelt over $50.

Not since maybe the early '80's. When ever the last fur rush was.

As for the .22/250 suggestion ... they will definitely drop a coyote out to 400 yards and beyond. Extremely dependable caliber that is also easy to load for.

And it will tear up the hide of a bobcat or fox at close range. Here it doesn't matter. I want a bobcat and fox to mount. Otherwise, Tn coyotes usually get $5-15. You'd need a boat load to make it worth the gas to find a buyer.

Somewhere back up this thread, I believe someone said they couldn't find "Weasel Balls" anymore. I just bought one tonight at Cracker Barrel, here in Murfreesboro, for $8 plus tax. They had seven or so of them in stock. Not sure if this is the right weasel ball or not. It takes one AA battery that spins a weight inside that causes the weasel to appear to chase the ball. Not sure how much it'll jump around on rough ground in yote country. Maybe if it doesn't work right, I can remove the weasel tail and put it on a coat hanger or something. Also saw a "Foxpro" caller at Dick's. That sucker was 200 bucks ($200)! Yea... it's beginning to get expensive! But, someone please help me find that used .17 Rem at a reasonable price. Thanks to all who is educating us "newbies" about the fun of youe hunting. Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

You wanna hunt Coyote? Here's the final secret. Get in the WOODS!

My son got this one while deer hunting two years ago. Muzzle loader at 40 yards. DRT !

DSCF0010.jpg

Thanks for posting this great picture of your son and his yote. Congratulations to him! He did a good job. I know you said he was deer hunting... but did Willey the coyote just come trotting by, or did he do some calling? Right now I don't have any woods available to me, except the WMAs, and I'm a bit concerned about the "novice SOUND shooters", that may shoot me for a deer! I'm looking for some private land in the Middle Tennessee area. Can't wait!

He was in a deer stand and deer hunting. I have shot two from the stand while deer hunting and 2 more from a stand calling. He was not calling at all.

If there are deer trails, the coyotes will use them. The great thing is like deer, they don't look up either, at least not until you go "arp" and stop them. Then there is a look like "oh crap" and the bang.

( I also hunt turkey from a stand when I can get one near known travel areas but the best way to get them is know where they roost....right Jcochran?)

Somewhere back up this thread, I believe someone said they couldn't find "Weasel Balls" anymore. I just bought one tonight at Cracker Barrel, here in Murfreesboro, for $8 plus tax. They had seven or so of them in stock. Not sure if this is the right weasel ball or not. It takes one AA battery that spins a weight inside that causes the weasel to appear to chase the ball. Not sure how much it'll jump around on rough ground in yote country. Maybe if it doesn't work right, I can remove the weasel tail and put it on a coat hanger or something. Also saw a "Foxpro" caller at Dick's. That sucker was 200 bucks ($200)! Yea... it's beginning to get expensive! But, someone please help me find that used .17 Rem at a reasonable price. Thanks to all who is educating us "newbies" about the fun of youe hunting. Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

About 1/4 of the way down on Varmint Al's page, it explains how to use the weasel ball (with pictures). Varmint Al's Hunting Page

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

1.) Disconnect the tail/Weasel from the ball unscrew ball halves (discard top half of the ball keeping motor half). Motor turns/spins inside ball half.

2.) Take the three screws out of the weight retaining cover on the electric motor and remove the weights (a little pressure with screw driver helps achieve this). This gives the motor more speed yet still allows it to wobble when finished.

3.) Drill tiny hole 1/16 into side of weight retaining cover then screw back to motor.

4.) Drill 1/16 - 1/8 hole in bottom of ball half and glue in a 1/16 - 1/8 steel rod approx 1 - 2 foot long also take a hammer and flatten out about 4 inches of end of rod that goes into the ground to keep rod from spinning (the ball wants to spin the rod so by flattening what's stuck in the ground it keeps the rod from spinning so motor is all that spins) Rod and ball half doesn't spin only motor.

5.) Spray paint the assembly dull gray.

6.) Reinsert tail/Weasel into hole on motor weight cover.

7.) Push steel rod into ground and turn on, it spins the tail and wobbles as well.

hammock.jpg

Thanks for the tip on finding them at Cracker Barrel. I have been hunting that elusive weasel in my kids' toy closet for some time now. I know there's one in there, but I think I'll just go buy a new one for 8 bucks. I want to start hunting coyotes as well.

Edited by Batman
Guest dart67eb

I got my weaselball online for @ $11 shipped. Another $60 spent for the rest of the varnint al stuff and I'm ready.

I'd like to use my .223 contender with 14" bbl. Have used it to take a number of crows and groundhogs over the years. The thin jacketed bullets work great. Guessing the same load would work well for yotes. Saw one here a couple of months ago, man it was huge. Thought it was somebody's dog at first.