Awwww, Crap

Guest RemedyCNC

Guest RemedyCNC

I put my ammo in an ammo box, along with some dessicant packs, about 9 months ago before I moved temporarily to another state. Found some 9mm today and went to add it to the stash. Unhappy to find this. Was stored indoors for a long time in a dresser drawer with no problems. Guess the ammo can was a bad idea. I hate it got the .357 and .380. I guess it could have been worse. Everything still in a sealed box faired with only very minor discoloring. Now what, dig a hole and bury it?

ammo.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nasty. What else is in that can? Dessicant in a sealed can should have prevented that. Something else stored in the can is leeching out to your ammo.

That is Blazer 38 or 357 on the right? I have never seen that on blazer aluminum cases. Looks like a post on a car battery.

Yep, that ammo is toast. Bury it deep.

Weird! Something is wrong. If the only thing in that can was ammo and desiccant packs, I'd get rid of all those desiccant packs that might be in other cans. Brass doesn't usually discolor/ react like that by itself, something had to come into contact with it to make that happen.

I'd toss that ammo, for sure. If you could do it safely, it might be interesting to pull one of the bullets and see if the powder was affected. Junk either way, but inquiring minds want to know.

I'll take a die grinder and cut one open :D

Before you try that, please think about it. Die grinder-- abrasive cutting edge. Brass casing filled with possibly unstable expolsive, definitely flammable powdery substance.

Results not a positive, but possible bad reaction.

Does the phrase " Hey Y'all! Watch This!'' come to mind?:tough:

Guest jackdm3

Just look at it. You're onto something here. "Bullet-shaped Icecubes!" Would probably move around in your glass better than those crap-ass crescent-shaped ones.

If you would like to pull the bullets shoot me a PM and we can swap info and possible meet up, as I am in Clevegas as well.

I tend to side with other comments. Something other than the dessicant came in contact with that ammo. Metal, during the corrosion process is reverting back to its original state. With that said, you might very well have dissimiler metal corrosion. That normal requires contact between the two metals. However if the desiccant bag was laying on both types of cartidges AND the silica was activated (wet) that may have induced it. I would keep the different ammo types seperate. Just my 0.02

Guest stovepipe

Looks like a nice crop of aluminum oxide... Very strange... Could these have been stored around bottles of muriatic, or other type of acid? Acid will leach out of plastic bottles and do a number on all types of metal...

I thought about a galvanic reaction between the cartridges, but think they'd need to be touching before that could happen... Maybe not.

Might want to e-mail Blazer your photo for their toughts. I think there's a lesson to be learned here... - I'm afraid to look at my Blazer.

Stove

Collect powder and sell cheap.

I hope you don't mean sell the powder? With the cases looking like that, I would be worried about the powder being contaminated somehow. Likewise, how could you positively ID the type of powder, short of getting the ammunition manufacturer to tell you?

Guest Bluemax

Guys, dessicant is great, just like sulfa drugs were in the early 20th century. If you want serious corrosion protection take a look at Cortec Ind www.cortecvci.com . Their VCI Emitters are unbelievable in a toolbox gunsafe or ammo can, don't take my word for it Uncle Sam swears by them

If you would like to pull the bullets shoot me a PM and we can swap info and possible meet up, as I am in Clevegas as well.

I tend to side with other comments. Something other than the dessicant came in contact with that ammo. Metal, during the corrosion process is reverting back to its original state. With that said, you might very well have dissimiler metal corrosion. That normal requires contact between the two metals. However if the desiccant bag was laying on both types of cartidges AND the silica was activated (wet) that may have induced it. I would keep the different ammo types seperate. Just my 0.02

I think you're on to something here buck. All of the above combined with a steel ammo can, add some humidity and time, walla.

Stovepipe wrote: "I thought about a galvanic reaction between the cartridges, but think they'd need to be touching before that could happen... Maybe not."

I'd think so too, but not so sure. I put pennies on top of my car batteries for the zinc to protect the anodes. The pennies collect a ton of "fuzz", but they're not touching the anodes. I dunno.... just a thought.

Robert