Ammo For Shotgun At Home

Guest dreh

Guest Muttling

I'm another fan of 00 buck. Bird shot will kill at close range but penetration is poor. Slugs kill at long range but over penetrate too. 00 is likely the pentrate the first wall, but not likely to keep going after that.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting how the filter didn't catch that picture Oh Shoot. And I keep 00 buck loaded, myself.

Ooops, since you said that, it must be Bad to do that anymore - modified.

Anyway, cuss filters can't catch pixel content, only text, like file names.

So a pic can say F**K, as long as the file name does not.

- OS

I'm another fan of 00 buck. Bird shot will kill at close range but penetration is poor. Slugs kill at long range but over penetrate too. 00 is likely the pentrate the first wall, but not likely to keep going after that.

Might want to watch the video that was posted.

I kept Federal LE 00 on hand in both the flight control, and low recoil.

Although, I don't use a shotty as HD any longer as it's just allot easier for me to maneuver with handguns.

As far as the whole birdshot debate goes...I wouldn't want to be shot with BS at any distance with or with out whatever choke...but it's intended purpose is to kill small birds, not a 200lb human attacker that can kill you if the shot doesn't stop them.

As far as wall penetration goes. Don't shoot at someone when your kids are behind them and problem is solved.

I actually find it kinda humorous really. Like OS said, we carry the absolute meanest man stoppers in our handguns without fear of hitting someone behind the badguy, but when a shotty is introduced, some want the weakest loads available because they think it will instantly kill anything, and everyone within a 50 foot radius of the badguy.

:shrugs:

Have you tried Harnady TAP, Winchester Ranger, Federal LE with or w/o flitecontrol wad, or any of the other buckshot intended for law enforcement/HD. The Hornady TAP I use patterns a little under 12" at 15 yards. I have some of the Ranger but haven't tried it yet.

Yep, what I was looking for when I tested ammo for shotgun was to find ideal loads that patterned small (12in or less at 12yrds) but had mild recoil for the wife. The Nobel #4 and 00buck Law Enforcement loads do the job perfectly for her as they are both reduced recoil loads.

No kidding, right?:D Seriously, I don't see 00 being as "dangerous" for wall penetration as 9mm or a .45. Think about it. If it can't at least go through a wall how in the world is it going to go through denim, a coat, or a heavy shirt and stop an intruder?

You sure seem confident that bird shot wouldn't harm/kill you. Bet you won't stand infront of anyone and let them prove ya wrong though will ya. ;)

You can bet that most bird loads will work just fine but I'd suggest you go and shoot different loads to see just how your shotgun will react and what the spread pattern will be.....

You sure seem confident that bird shot wouldn't harm/kill you. Bet you won't stand infront of anyone and let them prove ya wrong though will ya. :D

You can bet that most bird loads will work just fine but I'd suggest you go and shoot different loads to see just how your shotgun will react and what the spread pattern will be.....

Me thinks you missed the context.;)

I use Federal Tactical 00 Buck Shot in my 20" Remington 870. It patterns about 8-9 inches at 15 yards. Very tight, very accurate, very powerfull, very reliable. That pretty much covers all my needs.

TK47

More than likley.....I'm at work on OT. :)

Haha! Me too. Started at 1600 and get off at 0700 then get to come back at 1500! Fun stuff.

I was responding to the comment that 00 buck was irresponsibly dangerous while at the same time we use 9mm, .45, ect. with out much thought. My point was that 00 has less collateral potential than handgun rounds and that even birdshot will penetrate multiple walls. To get something that wouldn't penetrate walls wouldn't penetrate clothing or even tissue. Think BB gun.

Edited by Smith
You sure seem confident that bird shot wouldn't harm/kill you. Bet you won't stand infront of anyone and let them prove ya wrong though will ya.

I know letting you hit my thumb with a hammer won't kill me and I won't let you do that either.

My dad had a friend years ago that nearly died from a hunting accident involving bird shot from a .410 through a thick winter hunting coat.

A tight group of birdshot at close range makes a big hole and will penetrate clothing. I am on the fence about what I want to keep in my HD shotgun. Even if I have it loaded with birdshot, I would treat it as if it would penetrate into the next room anyway. Bird or Buckshot, I think a well-placed shot at close range will stop a threat.

But will it, with high probability, penetrate through clothes and bone to the CNS and drop an attacker right there? Or will it kill him 3 days later in Intensive Care?

Which do you prefer?

I'm really tired of this whole birdshot/buckshot argument. Use what you please -- you won't be shooting at me.

I know Extreme shock makes a 12ga rd. They were at the gun expo that Joe and them had. Said they were making these for different agencies. Great load and door buster. You should see the damage this thing does in soft tissue. If I recall it will not go through the wall to harm your family if you miss and will not ricochet.

Guest Muttling
I know letting you hit my thumb with a hammer won't kill me and I won't let you do that either.

Have you ever seen what a water disrupter charge will do to a vehicle? The projectile isn't even bird shot, it's just water....

Here's a link to a boot popper. (It was developed by the Brittish who call a vehicles trunk a "boot".)

YouTube - Boot Banger Mk4 projected water disruptor EOD (UK developed - Future Weapons s02e02) - HQ

In Iraq, we were putting 2 blocks of C-4 inside a water bottle from a water cooler. Set it beside a car and it would cut a car in half. But it's only water at close range. Not made of metal like bird shot.

P.S. - I think this is a video describing what I'm getting at. I don't have sound at work so I could only watch what they were doing.

Here is a good video by Rob Pincus about wall penetration with 9mm, .45, .223 and 12ga. It's been posted before, but it's a good vid.

THE BEST DEFENSE - on the Outdoor Channel

This video settled the debate for me long ago. Birdshot at close range will do fine. I live in a condo so 00 buck is a dangerous option for me to use. I can only hope my neighbors feel the same and aren't relying on "perfect aim" (or luck) while under stress to keep buckshot out of my home should they decide to use a shotgun.

Guest Muttling
Anyone have any data regarding 'over penetration' and rounds accidentalluy injuring / killing a neighbor?

I know better safe than sorry in most cases, but i honestly don't recall ever hearing of this happening.

I recall a couple (two, maybe 3) police shootings where it happened, but nothing recent and I couldn't google up the stories for you. As I recall, all of them involved side arms instead of shotguns.

The Rob Pincus video is making me rethink my home defense options now. I currently have 00 buck and 2 slugs loaded in my 870. Might change to bird shoot and two 00 bucks.

I was surprised by the .223. I've always heard that a .223 would penetrate a house from end to end. Obviously that's not the case.

Of course, I wonder where a .38 fits into the wall penetration realm?

Edited by Moped

All this talk of over penetration and missed shot really makes no sense. For the most part people carry 9mm, 40, 45acp, and similiar rounds in revolvers. which all penetrate more and will travel further than birdshot. Any good load in 9mm or larger will penetrate 12" or more in ballistic gel. #71/2 birdshot penetrates to less than 6" in the tests I have seen online and #4 birdshot penetrates to about 6.5" So why are you worried about buckshot but not worried about your 45

All this talk of over penetration and missed shot really makes no sense. For the most part people carry 9mm, 40, 45acp, and similiar rounds in revolvers. which all penetrate more and will travel further than birdshot. Any good load in 9mm or larger will penetrate 12" or more in ballistic gel. #71/2 birdshot penetrates to less than 6" in the tests I have seen online and #4 birdshot penetrates to about 6.5" So why are you worried about buckshot but not worried about your 45

Only half of us seem to see that glaring irony.

The other half seem to think those eight or nine 00 pellets are gonna expand to ten feet wide at home defense ranges.

- OS

I'll stick with birdshot thanks. Anyone that can stand up to a load of number 7 at 5-20 feet away is welcome to at least one more & if that don't stop 'em they're welcome to theTV!

Speaking as someone who's personally sustained two very minor, accidental (1 pure fluke accident, 1 stupid childhood incident) gunshot wounds believe me when I tell you even a light load of small shot is going to take the fight out of probably 99.999% of the population.

I'd rather not take the one in one thousand chance of ventilating the wife.