Shooting Glasses for people with less than perfect vision

I'm sick of wearing those stupid plastic over the eyeglasses protective things. My question to you is, what are you using? I don't want to spend 250 or more on prescription shooting glasses and have seen the kits with the little drop in prescription thing that are much cheaper but they look unnatural. I need a good solution that will allow me to see and keep me protected but not cost more than some of my guns.

Thanks!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave
My prescription glasses have shatter proof poly carbonate lenses. They basically act just like safety glasses. You might try that.

BINGO...we have a WINNER

I've been fighting the same situation. Sometimes I'll use the safety goggles; other times I shoot with my regular glasses. Neither seems to be a perfect solution. Safety goggles better protection. See sights and target with glasses. I usually opt for the glasses and have had only one little problem with that. A hot 40 casing, and I do mean HOT, bounced off the wall and lodged in my frames. Got a little character burn for it. I keep meaning to look for alternatives. There must be a solution out there for us older geezers.:-\

My prescription glasses have shatter proof poly carbonate lenses. They basically act just like safety glasses. You might try that.

I have polycarbonate lenses but where I am shooting requires actual safety glasses.

Are contacts out of the question?

Not entirely. My previous schedule didn't allow me to wear contacts since I was working more hours in a day than the contacts were meant to be worn. I was wearing them out too quickly. Since my second job let me go, I can go back to a normal schedule and start wearing them again but I just havent yet. I probably will in April when I go back for a checkup but until then, I want to get some shooting glasses. Plus, I always need a backup.

I've been fighting the same situation. Sometimes I'll use the safety goggles; other times I shoot with my regular glasses. Neither seems to be a perfect solution. Safety goggles better protection. See sights and target with glasses. I usually opt for the glasses and have had only one little problem with that. A hot 40 casing, and I do mean HOT, bounced off the wall and lodged in my frames. Got a little character burn for it. I keep meaning to look for alternatives. There must be a solution out there for us older geezers.:-\

Precisely why I wear a baseball cap when firing a hand gun especially in a closed environment. Since I wear a ball cap nearly wherever I go this should not be a problem in a self defense situation either.

Precisely why I wear a baseball cap when firing a hand gun especially in a closed environment. Since I wear a ball cap nearly wherever I go this should not be a problem in a self defense situation either.

Good option. I''ll give it a try. I may be the only Tennessee-born redneck in the state that doesn't wear a cap. Just never liked them. But... the times are a changin'.;)

Guest sigsbird

I solved the problem for myself. I took my pistol to the optomotrist. I held the pistol stretched out in the shooting stance. He made me glasses that focused on the front site. There is enough clarity to see the target but I have great focus on the site and that's where I was having a problem.

I solved the problem for myself. I took my pistol to the optomotrist. I held the pistol stretched out in the shooting stance. He made me glasses that focused on the front site. There is enough clarity to see the target but I have great focus on the site and that's where I was having a problem.

My Optomistist would ;) if I did that.....and he knows me. He's known me for years and knows I carry and shoot often. His only answer was a seperate pair of glasses in bigger frames for the range. Cheap ones at that. Kinda like the size of the old Magnum P.I. Glasses...gives a wider view and gives old school style points for the geezers...;)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a pair of Wiley X classes cut to my script. They work great when I'm outside. I've been trying to shoot with my regular glasses but I find myself hitting low center no matter what gun I'm shooting. Stupid progressive lenses....working on computers all these years....damn getting old sucks.

I think I'm going to try sigsbird idea and have a pair of indoor ghooting glasses cut that way

I have polycarbonate lenses but where I am shooting requires actual safety glasses.

Not entirely. My previous schedule didn't allow me to wear contacts since I was working more hours in a day than the contacts were meant to be worn. I was wearing them out too quickly. Since my second job let me go, I can go back to a normal schedule and start wearing them again but I just havent yet. I probably will in April when I go back for a checkup but until then, I want to get some shooting glasses. Plus, I always need a backup.

extended wear contacts could be a solution