HCP class sample questions?

Okay, I did the 'search' thing as well as checking out the 'resources' sticky thread and still didn't come across an answer to my question.

My mom wants to get her carry permit and is signed up for a class. I don't think she'll have any problem, whatsoever, with the shooting portion (I ran her through a simulated version of what the instructor did for our shooting test yesterday at the range, putting the target at various distances - she only had one shot out of 48 that wasn't 'in the black' on the silhouette target.) She gets nervous when it comes to written tests, however. I've assured her that everything she will be tested on will be covered in the class but she is still worried that she will get nervous and draw a blank. I can tell her the types of things that are covered but since it's been over a year and a half since I took the class I can't remember the test well enough to give her specific examples of the types of questions she can expect. Anyone know if and where I might find some sample questions? No, I'm not asking for the official questions so she can 'cheat' - I just want some samples to help her know what to expect so that she will be a bit less anxious.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There can be some variation of the exact questions, because, per the state syllabus, instructors can add questions if they choose. The general types of questions are usually fill in the blank or multiple choice and will be things like "How far can a pistol bullet travel" or "What is the third gun safety rule?" Everything is covered in the class pretty much verbatim as it appears on the test.

At most locations there are a lot of visual aids used and I would expect the posters are probably left up all of the time. Depending on where she takes the class and who teaches it the majority of the answers may actually be on the walls somewhere if she just remembers to look around. :cool:

• Moderators
At most locations there are a lot of visual aids used and I would expect the posters are probably left up all of the time. Depending on where she takes the class and who teaches it the majority of the answers may actually be on the walls somewhere if she just remembers to look around. :cool:

^This.

As Robbiev says, the Instructor may modify/add to the test somewhat, but the standard test issued by TDOS is 30 questions, all either true or false or fill in the blank. Many of the questions are also asked more than once, using a different format or worded differently.

Most of the questions relate to common sense safe handling rules, storage, and range commands.

Tell Mom it's nothing to be nervous about. :cool:

JAB,

The following material comes from the California Handgun Safety Certificate study guide. It's very similar to what your Mom will see on her Tennessee HCP test.

When not using a gun, it is

imperative to use a firearms

safety device and store it in a

locked container.

(page 13)

True False

A safe practice when handling a

gun is to rest your finger on the

outside of the trigger guard or

along the side of the gun until

you are ready to shoot. (page 9)

True False

The two most common types

of handguns are: (page 17)

A. Single-action and doubleaction

revolvers.

B. Semiautomatic revolvers

and pistols.

C. Semiautomatic and

automatic pistols.

D. Revolvers and

semiautomatic pistols.

Action: A series of moving parts that

allow a firearm to be loaded, fired

and unloaded.

Revolver: A handgun that has a

rotating cylinder containing a

number of chambers.

... - she only had one shot out of 48 that wasn't 'in the black' on the silhouette target.) ...

^ That alone would constitute a failure per the standards where I took the test.

But regardless, the written test is easy. Just pay attention to the videos and instruction.

When I took my test last year the instructor told us to take notes, and when it was time for the test. He let us use our notes. So a small note pad would be a good idea, even if she can't use it just writing it down may help to remember a little better. Like others have said, every thing that is on the test is gone over throughly. I wouldn't think she will have any problems. Good luck

JAB,

The following material comes from the California Handgun Safety Certificate study guide. It's very similar to what your Mom will see on her Tennessee HCP test.

When not using a gun, it is

imperative to use a firearms

safety device and store it in a

locked container.

(page 13)

True False

A safe practice when handling a

gun is to rest your finger on the

outside of the trigger guard or

along the side of the gun until

you are ready to shoot. (page 9)

True False

The two most common types

of handguns are: (page 17)

A. Single-action and doubleaction

revolvers.

B. Semiautomatic revolvers

and pistols.

C. Semiautomatic and

automatic pistols.

D. Revolvers and

semiautomatic pistols.

Action: A series of moving parts that

allow a firearm to be loaded, fired

and unloaded.

Revolver: A handgun that has a

rotating cylinder containing a

number of chambers.

Thanks for all the responses, guys, I really appreciate it - and especially to BigPoppa - this is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for. I have told her the generalities - that it's all multiple choice or true/false, most of the questions are common sense and relate to gun safety or basic carry legalities - but couldn't think of any specific question examples to give her.

Thanks, OhShoot, for bringing up the DL reference. It's been a looong time since my mom took the test to get her DL (heck, I've had my driver's license for about 21 years, now if that puts any perspective on it) but that should help her feel better. I also told her that, IMO, the test for the hunter's safety course is harder than the HCP test and that there are 8 year olds who pass the hunter's safety course.

Wow, peejman, one 'miss' out of 48 shots would have disqualified you? I'm thinking that we had to hit 37 out of 48 but it might have been 34 hits out of 48 shots as someone else mentioned - can't really remember because all of my shots were 'good'. I know that mom shoots a whole lot better than some of the people who passed the test when I took it (and she uses open sights while some of them were using lasers!)

Wow, that would help, I imagine. However, mom is taking the test at the same place I took it. IIRC, there might have been something up with the 'handgun safety rules' on it and maybe something about the proper sight picture but nothing else that would help, much. Still, not a bad idea to keep her eyes open in case they've hung up new stuff.

I've talked with people who claim they had never even shot before, break 70%. You have to be horrible to blow the shooting portion. Tell your mom not to worry about the written. It's real easy. As OhShoot said, the drivers license written is much worse. Where I took it the instructor was "very kind" in pointing out the "testable" material. Need I say more?

Do they still make you shot with your weak hand? When I took my class in the 90's, we had to shot with both hands. Of course, my instructor was great and he did make the off the cuff comment that he had never failed anyone and that he didn't see a reason to start. :koolaid:

I can't remember how many shots it is, but there are a certain number of shots that is the instructors choice.

Way back in the 90's when I took mine also, we did shoot our last set of shots with our weak hand from the 3yd line.

Guest Sgt. Joe
When I took my test last year the instructor told us to take notes, and when it was time for the test. He let us use our notes. So a small note pad would be a good idea, even if she can't use it just writing it down may help to remember a little better. Like others have said, every thing that is on the test is gone over throughly. I wouldn't think she will have any problems. Good luck

We were also allowed to take notes and use them. I took some but did not need them. The written test is pretty simple as everything will be covered just prior to taking the test. I found it to be one of the easiest tests I have ever taken. Your mom should have no problem.

We were told we could miss 14 and pass 15 would fail but we would be given two chances for the firing part. IIRC correctly 4 of 13 in the class had to re-fire...and of those 4, 1 did not pass the re-fire.

I really was hyped up for the class and could not believe how easy the whole thing turned out to be.

Best I recall, the instructors stated essentially that anyone who can't hit a full size silhouette 48 of 48 times with no time limit has no business carrying a handgun. Personally, I agree. No one in my class failed the shooting portion.

While I may agree, in principle, I have a problem with an instructor setting himself up as 'gatekeeper' in such a manner. If a person meets the state requirements, they should pass, period. It is ridiculous that we have to pay for the 'right' to carry in the first place. If I were paying someone who then refused to recognize that I had met state requirements, I'd be pretty ticked. Heck, even if I passed (and I would have), I'd still be ticked that he took it upon himself - rather than following state guidelines - to decide what is 'good enough.' I'd certainly be sure to recommend that anyone I knew who wanted to take the test look elsewhere for a class.

While I may agree, in principle, I have a problem with an instructor setting himself up as 'gatekeeper' in such a manner. If a person meets the state requirements, they should pass, period. It is ridiculous that we have to pay for the 'right' to carry in the first place. If I were paying someone who then refused to recognize that I had met state requirements, I'd be pretty ticked. Heck, even if I passed (and I would have), I'd still be ticked that he took it upon himself - rather than following state guidelines - to decide what is 'good enough.' I'd certainly be sure to recommend that anyone I knew who wanted to take the test look elsewhere for a class.

While we all have a right to keep and bear arms, I view having a HCP as a privilege. The written and shooting tests are way too easy. I liken the HCP to a professional certification. The initial class should be more like the "advanced concealed carry" type classes offered various places. In order to renew one's permit, I think we should be required to maintain some sort of proficiency via continuing education. Periodically attending one of the classes at any of the schools that advertize here should be mandatory.

I'm sure you, like me, looked around during your HCP class and thought to yourself that the idea of a few of those folks carrying a handgun was a little scary. Maybe some of them thought the same thing about us. If a handgun permit was much more difficult to acquire, the masses might hold it in a little higher regard and laws would be written accordingly. But that's all just my opinion, YMMV.

I agree with peejman's statement regrading some of the people in his HCP class. There were at least three persons in my class that had never fired a weapon. The instructor took them aside and showed them how to load and fire and I assume unload and make safe a handgun. In my view the HCP class is not the place for basic instruction. I realize that from the school's prespective it's a sales tool and the instructor is in most cases an employee or contractor to the school and therefore obligated to do what is in the best intrest of the school.

I also agree with recurrent training. I hold two professional licenses and both require periodic training and renewal every two years. Many of the people after they get the HCP will never fire their weapon again.

Just my :D

I'm sure you, like me, looked around during your HCP class and thought to yourself that the idea of a few of those folks carrying a handgun was a little scary.

Honestly, there was only one such individual in my class. He failed to pass the written portion without the instructor going beyond the state's requirements. What you are talking about here is one individual taking it upon themselves to decide that, even accepting the idea that carrying for personal defense is a priveledge, the state's requirements - the legal requirements on the books - aren't good enough and that he (the instructor) is going to enforce a different standard. That's like a cop deciding that, although the speed limit on a particular stretch of road is 55, he's going to ticket people for going over 45 because he believes that 45 should be the limit.

To put it all in perspective, I look around every day and think that it is scary that some of the people with whom I come into contact are allowed to vote and have a say in the direction our society will take. So should people attending polling stations set themselves up to determine whether or not these individuals are qualified to vote, despite the fact that they meet the legal requirements for doing so?

Going a bit off topic (is it possible to hijack one's own thread?)

Personally, I don't consider the right to be prepared for self defense, regardless of location, to be a priviledge. Perhaps concealed carry should require a permit (this from someone who carries concealed) but the ability to be armed for self defense, period (open carry) should not. It is unfortunate that our state (unlike some other states) seems to feel that self defense in other than one's home is a priveledge, not a right. From a practical standpoint, how can we bear arms if said arms are not with us (on our person) when we need them? Of course, some would say that bearing arms has more to do with resisting a tyrannical government and that the Constitution doesn't talk about personal self defense (although the Supreme Court ruled otherwise in Heller.)

Thing is, if self-defense was omitted from specific mention in the Constitution, I believe that is because the Founders considered it to be common sense that people have that right - whether in their own home or walking down a public street (Thomas Jefferson did, after all, advise his nephew to always take his pistol with him on his walks - and that wasn't to repel the Red Coats.) Including specific mention of a right to carry weapons for self defense in the Constitution would probably have seemed to the Founders as being much like including specific mention of a right to carry a firearm when squirrel hunting.

Edited by JAB

I see your point with regard to self defense regardless of location and it sounds like we generally agree. I think the state provides minimum requirements. If any specific instructor chooses to exceed those requirements and the students agree (we did), all the better.

Regarding voting... honestly, yes I think there should be some requirements for basic understanding of the issues being voted on, both for us and for our elected officials when they vote on our behalf. I'm sure most everyone has gone to the poll and seen bills on the ballot that they've never heard of. I think lots of people would be shocked at how little some of our elected officials know about the bills they vote on. If you're uninformed, how is your vote relevant?

While we don't need to agree on various topics of interest, we do need to be informed. Particularly in today's society, there is no excuse for ignorance.

I think the state provides minimum requirements. If any specific instructor chooses to exceed those requirements and the students agree (we did), all the better.

As long as students were informed of the disparity between state requirements and this particular instructor's requirements before signing up for the class - and were given the choice to take the class elsewhere or indicate their agreement by signing up, anyway - I would have no problem. I may have misunderstood you previously - I was under the impression that you weren't informed until the class was already in progress (and money had been paid) that this would be the case.

Anyhow, I have received a lot of help from various posters with my original question and am thankful. Thanks also to peejman for the interesting discussion.