Invisible dog fence setup?

Verne

So who knows about invisible fences. I will be moving in to my house tomorrow and thinking about this for my dog. What I don't know is where to start.

I'm wanting to keep cost down but still work for a 45 pound English Bulldog.

I know WalMart has one for sale as does Lowes and Home Depot. What do I need to be looking for though? Are the sub $200 kits worth a darn? I know the Invisible Fence Brand is the top of the line but out of my price range.

Let me know your experiences good and bad.

Thanks,

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got the pet safe brand. had it now for 9 years. have used it on two boxers. works well. keeps them in the yard. check on line for best price. not hard to put in, just read and follow the directions. as for training i did not do the flags thing. i put it on the dogs and let him get hit once/twice/maybe three times. then they were trained.

JMO I would never use one..

Hidden fences do not keep people and dogs out of your yard, leaving small dogs vulnerable to attacks by larger ones and exposing all dogs to potential teasing. If two dogs are confined within a system and one breaks out to chase a cat or squirrel or another dog, the remaining dog usually follows. If the dog gets too agitated or the distraction is too strong, many dogs forget the pain and run through the system. Once out, when the distraction is over, the dog may not come home because he knows he will get shocked. The receiver collars don't work well on heavy-coated dogs, so some hair shaving may be necessary.

Disadvantages

The advantages of an underground fence are clear, but the disadvantages are at least as clear for some dogs and owners and for meter readers, mailmen, joggers, and dog walkers.

Underground fence cannot be seen by the people who come to or walk past the house, so visitors, servicemen, and walkers may be startled or frightened by a charging dog protecting his property. Underground fence is also invisible to the critters that inhabit suburbia — rabbits, stray dogs, and cats may enter a yard with disastrous results.

Some dogs have a high pain threshold and will go through the barrier if the distraction is strong enough. Once they go through, they receive the correction when trying to re-enter the yard and may be reluctant to return when the chase is done.

Success of the system depends on maintenance by the homeowner. Batteries must be replaced, collars must be fitted correctly, and contact between the prongs and the skin must be maintained. If the dog has a thick or heavy coat, it may be necessary to shave his neck for contact to occur.

Kerry McManus of Cincinnati Invisible Fence, (Cincinnati, Ohio, USA) said that he does not sell the system to contain dogs that have a history of aggression, biting, or running away. His company will install fence around the perimeter of the property and put in side sections to keep the dog in the back yard. The front yard is fenced to minimize the chances of the dog escaping if it slips out the door, he said.

However, many people allow the dog unsupervised in the front yard without considering the impact of a charging, barking dog on the neighborhood. Although dogs will bark and jump at a traditional fence, a barrier that can be seen allows a measure of confidence that the dog will remain confined. Most joggers, walkers, and delivery men accept that a dog behind a fence is doing its job at a safe distance; with a hidden fence, there can be no such trust.

Because dogs can easily leave a yard with a hidden fence if the maintenance is not done or if the dog has a high pain threshold combined with high prey or defense drives, some breeders and shelters will not sell or adopt dogs to be confined by these fences. The large guardian breeds are particularly likely to have the characteristics that make underground fences a poor choice of confinement.

Dogs should always be safely contained so that they cannot be teased or injured by other animals or by children and so they cannot escape. If hidden fence is the only alternative to tying out, owners should research each company and each do-it-yourself kit to make sure it fits their needs. Then they should keep the collar in working order and supervise the dog while it is outside. If Tugger braves the correction to take off after a squirrel or Rambo ignores the shock to chase Mrs. Smith's Fifi, at least the owner will know his pet has left the yard. And if a stray dog gets in the yard and does a number on Sugar, at least the owner can rescue his pet if he sees the action.

I am aware of the disadvantages and advantages of the invisible fence. The only time my B.J. goes outside it to do his business and then it is back in. He does not stay outside at all. I would like to have it fenced in but that is not going to happen right now.

I am looking just due to the odd I have to go in to work so I can let him while I am getting ready and he doesn't have to wait on me to get him out.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

That is part of my concern. Bulldogs are known to be stubborn with a high pain tolerance. Might be a gamble I will have to take.

Rightwinger he just want to play with you. He is just a big baby. As long as you come in empty handed, make no sudden movements for 20 minutes and don't pick up a gun around him you will be fine. LOL

I think he would laugh at "incinerate". I believe he is the lost "Hell Hound Of Old England" and you know hell hounds don't fear fire.

Edited by Verne

I installed an Invisible Fence brand fence in November. Best thing I ever did. Wish I did it years ago. They have a 100% guarantee that if your dog keeps getting out after thorough training, they will refund your money. The Nashville branch has a 99.8% success rate. It was a little more $ than the do it yourself brands but a lot cheaper that building a fence for me. Both of my dogs stay inside the area day or night. It won't keep other dogs out, but my priority was keeping my dogs safe and on my property.

We have the wireless one for our Ridgeback. The great thing about it is that we can take it with us when we travel. The battery seems to last about 8 weeks, so we just mark it on the calendar so we don't run out of batteries when we need one. He can run to his heart's content, but when he hears that 'beep', he reverses direction! It beeps when he approaches the limit. When the limit is reached it gives a good, strong shock. About the same as touching the points of a nine-volt battery with a wet finger. The shock gets stronger if he doesn't return to the safe zone.

Unlike the wire in the ground, the dog cannot run past the shock zone.

Make sure you take off the collar BEFORE you 'go for a ride'! We made that mistake once. He almost wrecked the car when his collar beeped as we were leaving the driveway!

I installed an Invisible Fence brand fence in November. Best thing I ever did. Wish I did it years ago. They have a 100% guarantee that if your dog keeps getting out after thorough training, they will refund your money. The Nashville branch has a 99.8% success rate. It was a little more $ than the do it yourself brands but a lot cheaper that building a fence for me. Both of my dogs stay inside the area day or night. It won't keep other dogs out, but my priority was keeping my dogs safe and on my property.

What was the cost if you don't mind me asking? I emailed them for a quote but got busy and never returned their phone call.

For those of you that have the type of dog that just cringe and go through it, you may want to get two transmitters and put the wires ten feet apart. creating a no dog zone that is almost 20 feet wide.

I am going to have to do that with my dog, she is a hunting breed and the urge to go tramping is strong.

Forget the fence I think they suck! Go buy a shock collar, they work much better, I trained my lab/shepard to stay out of the road with one(he had already been hit by a truck once three days after i brought him home). After you turn them a flip two or three times they get the drift. I had to break mne from crossing the road I tried the fence but after he would run through it he wouldnt come back across because of knowing what would happen. I bought a shock collar put it on him and went outside, when he finally headed towards the road I pressed button the dog did a complete flip(kinda funny:D) got up and ran straight for me to defend him. This only took twice, and now you cant drag him across the road.

Guest mwentllc

Verne, I was going to install the invisible fence in my yard also, but I decided against it. My dogs only go out to relieve themselves then right back in also, so I got the Sport Dog brand training collars off the internet. Mine is the 1800 series and can control 2 dogs at the same time. When they need to go out, I put it on them then take it off when they come in. No wires to run, no transmitters to mount anywhere, just 2 rechargeable collars to charge every once in a while. It is a great system.

Guest clownsdd

A good shock collar works wonders. Our Anatolian could scale a 6' fence. Along with some time working training him, a couple of times popping him with that solved the problem. He minds very well now.

We've had the invisible fence at both our houses and love it. The versions you see at Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot are all the same thing. The collars are even interchangeable.

If you decide to get the "bury the wire" type (what I have), go to your nearest equipment rental place and ask for a landscape trencher with straight blade. Tell them you're installing an underground fence and they'll know what you need. I did the perimeter of my 1/2 acre lot in 20 minutes.

As for the dog running through it... as stated, it's usually a matter of training unless you've got a really, really stubborn dog. Our dog has run through it a couple of times and within a couple of minutes, she's pacing around the outer edge and whining wanting to come back in. Now she won't leave the yard even if she's not wearing the collar.

As the last kennel place we used discovered, our dog can also scale a 6' privacy fence. She hates being in a fenced yard and commences digging or climbing within minutes. She's perfectly happy to just lay in the yard with the invisible fence.

I have also used the Petsafe brand, i have the one that isnt in the ground. The system is mobile and has an adjustable perimeter. My 100lb Bull Mastiff sure as hell doenst laugh at it. It hit her once and that was enough. They are a bit pricey but wll worth it.

+1. We used this model very well also. The mobile model which doesn't require a line in your yard has pros and cons versus the regular model:

Pros: You don't have to dig lines to install it.

Pro: This one is much easier if to setup somewhere else if you are not going to be in your current home forever.

Pro: It actually works better with difficult or agressive dogs. Why? Because the traditional models allow the dogs to get out with only a quick shock if they are running fast enough when they hit it. The wireless model actually gives them a static shock for up to 30 seconds. Instead of teaching a difficult to run faster it teaches them "hey wait a minute, if I go back home I won't get shocked anymore." We started it out on the lowest setting and walked our dogs on leashes so they would learn it on the really light setup. One of our dogs used to dig under fences and this was the only thing that broke her of the habit. After a while, the dogs didn't even try to run when the batteries were dead. We didn't feel to good about it at first but with that particular dog it was the best thing. Better to shock a dog a little than to have them get hit by a car.

Pro: Petsafe is a West Knoxville Company. You can always get parts and batteries

Con: It only makes a circular perimemter so it doesn't fit every lot well.

Cons: It still requires some tinkering to set up because you adjust the range just right and you have to be very specific with where you put the unit.

Finally, our current house has a fence in the back yard and our Petsafe wireless model has been collecting dust in the garage for 2 years.

We've had the invisible fence at both our houses and love it. The versions you see at Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot are all the same thing. The collars are even interchangeable.

If you decide to get the "bury the wire" type (what I have), go to your nearest equipment rental place and ask for a landscape trencher with straight blade. Tell them you're installing an underground fence and they'll know what you need. I did the perimeter of my 1/2 acre lot in 20 minutes.

As for the dog running through it... as stated, it's usually a matter of training unless you've got a really, really stubborn dog. Our dog has run through it a couple of times and within a couple of minutes, she's pacing around the outer edge and whining wanting to come back in. Now she won't leave the yard even if she's not wearing the collar.

+1 on that. It took longer to drive to Home Depot and back than it did to install the fence. It was easy enough when I moved I did it all over again. Just remember to make big turns instead of corners if you use the "mini-trencher" (thats how HD has it listed).

Last time I checked the fence package (500' of wire, collar, flags, and the energizer) was about 150ish, the trencher was about 45 for a half day. When The Invisible Fence Company came out it was $1,000.00. My neighbor had a much smaller yard and they quoted him the same amount. The sales rep even stated that the adds you hear on the radio offering discounts really hurt their business so they inflate the prices to compensate for them.

They make a stubborn dog collar. They know when it hits them. I had a cow dog/mix that probably could've been trained with a 2x4. I took the fence collar off the other dog and he wore 2 for a couple of weeks. After that it didnt even matter if the batteries died.

Good luck

I have the Pet Safe brand in ground system for two boxers. My 3 year old does great and never tests it at all, the 10 month old boy who isn't fixed still manages to get into the neighbors back yard sometimes. One thing about the Pet Safe brand is I think they are out of Knoxville, TN. One other thing to note, with the in ground system the collars use 9v batteries, which last at least 6 months (I don't remember the last time I had to change one, and I keep them checked) while the wireless systems use the CR2032 (I think) batteries and those are more expensive, a little harder to find, and they don't seem to last any time at all. The reason I know about both systems is my dad has the wireless one for his jack russell terrier, who leaves the yard all the time because he wears out the batteries fast.

There is some good information in this thread, and some not-so-good information. OP - if you'd like to talk, I'd be happy to speak with you on the advantages of a Brand Name Invisible Fence, and what you should come to expect out of your dog/training scenarios/problems/solutions.

I run/co-own the Invisible Fence franchise in TN, and am a certified dog trainer. You're welcome to ask any questions (even if you don't purchase our particular product), because I'd like to get you on the right track.

Invisible Fence of Middle TN

Chris

I will have plenty of time to talk tomorrow, as today I'm actually working on scheduling for our snow day, and am on the phone constantly trying to get folks moved around and may not have ample time to dedicate, which I want to make sure that I do, should you give a call. I happened across this thread when I was searching Google for hits on our company, oddly enough. :D

The sales rep even stated that the adds you hear on the radio offering discounts really hurt their business so they inflate the prices to compensate for them.

Whom did you speak with, and what exactly did they say?