Ammo advice needed for S&W snubbie...

Zulu Cowboy

I just picked up a new (pre-lock) J-frame, S&W Ladysmith .38 special...and I need to know what kinds of ammo would be best, for a self defense load? I've been researching a bit...and some folks seem to prefer the Remington 158-gr. LSWCHP +P. But I'm not sure I can safely shoot +P rounds out of this weapon.

Any ideas?

;)

Zulu Cowboy

pix57014421.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could checkout BuffaloBore.com they have two good non +p loads, a 125gn. jhp made by GoldDot, and what I like the 158gn. swchp, it's gas-checked (so as not to lead your barrel). I got some for my sister to shoot in her 3in. M34. Good stuff!! More "felt recoil" that the 125gn. load, but many a BG has been put down with that round!

I carry Hornady 125g XTP in mine. Also have some 110g Critical Defense. Neither is +p.

My snubby is a 20-something-year-old steel frame Model 36. I have shot UMC +p with no ill effects.

Listed muzzle velocity on the UMC +p is 925fps; the Hornady is 900fps - not much difference.

Contray to popular opinion, I try and run a light and fast bullet out of a snubby.

You lose a lot of velocity out of a short barrel and expansion with heavier bullets

is hit and miss. Winchester use to make a 95Grn. Silver tip +p that would expand

to .62 Caliber reliably out of snubbies, luckily I bought a bunch before they were

discontinued. I still carry those when I carry my Airweight and i just purchased

some Hornady 110 +p Critical Defense to try. I don't think you are going to get

enough velocity to promote reliabe expansion with JHP 125Grn or heavier bullets.

Of course opinions are like arm pits, everybody has a couple.

Whatever's handy. I usually shoot wadcutters in mine. Would you want to be shot with a 38 wadcutter? I don't!!!

The owner of my LGS told me that he had seen a guy who was accidentally shot in the torso (gut) with a .38 wadcutter. Said it made a big hole and did a lot of damage. They called an ambulance as soon as it happened and the poor guy was dead (pretty much bled out) before emergency services could arrive.

I carry Hornady Critical Defense standard pressure in my Rossi snubbie with Hornady XTP standard pressure in the speed strip if I carry a reload (XTP is supposed to give deeper penetration but less reliable expansion - I'll eventually do a 'milk jug' test to compare for myself.) Mine will handle +P but I am not entirely convinced that +P gives that great an advantage in a snubbie over some of the newer, standard pressure loads designed for SD from a short barrel. Still, I am considering switching to something in +P for my reload. Again, I need to do some informal testing of my own.

You probably already know this but one thing to consider when loading a snubbie for SD is muzzle flash. I shot a few, different loads back to back to test for accuracy. I did this outside and it happened to be near dusk. I found that the XTP in standard pressure produces a fireball that is comparable to WWB JHPs in +P. Remington Golden Sabres in +P produced pretty much the same size fireball - all of them large and bright enough to impact night vision or be a distraction in low light. I fired the Critical Defense before these other rounds and honestly didn't even notice much muzzle flash - meaning reacquiring the target and getting off subsequent shots was quicker. Functional accuracy for SD from ten yards was comparable for all of the loads I tried.

That's a nice looking little shooter, by the way.

Edited by JAB

According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson your revolver is not safe to use with +P ammo. It was made in 1990 and the change to the J magnum frame came with the 60-9 revision level in 1996.

You should stilck to standard pressure ammo.

According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson your revolver is not safe to use with +P ammo. It was made in 1990 and the change to the J magnum frame came with the 60-9 revision level in 1996.

You should stilck to standard pressure ammo.

You are so right!! I saw many, many j-frames blown-up in the late 80s ,early 90s, from guys trying to run +Ps , never know if it's the 50th rd. or the 500th rd. but they will blow!!!

You should stick to standard pressure ammo.

Thanks enfield...I think I'll do just that!

I sincerely appreciate you looking that up for me...I was just getting ready to drop some serious coin on a 1000 rd. case of +P.

You may have just saved me a trip to the ER, my friend!!

I owe you one...

Zulu Cowboy

Edited by Zulu Cowboy