Wamp vs Haslam

It's getting closer to election time and I was wondering what some fellow TGO members thought about these 2 guys.

I haven't done a lot of research yet but I know that both guys claim to be pro 2nd amendment. I would personally like to see our new governor allow the HCP holders to carry in restaurants. Obviously there are more important things for the state but this is just something I would like to see get passed.

Wamp was interviewed last night by WBIR and was claiming that Haslam had a conflict of interest because Pilot is a business that faces many state regulations. I'm not sure I buy into this but it is something to consider..

Let us debate:popcorn:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Wamp better than Haslam... but right now my vote would/will go to Ron Ramsey.

Haslam is already throwing money in to the pot. He is the one with deep pocketc in this race.

I don't know anything about Ramsey so please tell me why you like him. That was sort of the point of this, so I could learn more about the candidates. Thanks

I am loving Haslam's "good ole boy" banjo picking in the background story about stocking coolers and doing so much for Knoxville. :P Yeah, thanks for that. I hope he can man up to give a real response to any of my numerous emails on his stance on guns that started during the guns in parks bill. I keep getting the "I think hunting is great...I love sportsmen...but I don't have any control over what happens in the city." Politicians burn my biscuits.

I don't know anything about Ramsey so please tell me why you like him. That was sort of the point of this, so I could learn more about the candidates. Thanks

I have met Ramsey more than a few times and Wamp once or twice. I was at a dinner function with Ramesy last fall. He sat at the same table where I was sitting... so we had a "good talk". After asking him some questions and listening to him speak a few times I believe him to be the candidate that the State needs. He is “pro business†and may be able to do great things to get Tennesseans back to work.

http://teamronramsey.com/about

Guest oldsmobile98

Let me be a spoilsport and say: neither. Ron Ramsey is a better choice than either of them. Check out the picture here: Haslam, I’m Guessing, Doesn’t Have Pics Like These : Post Politics: Political News and Views in Tennessee

Wamp, to be honest, is just about as good on guns as Ramsey. But, lest anyone forget, he voted for the bailout when the pressure was put on him.

Both are better than Haslam on guns. Wamp talked about meeting the feds at the state line if some serious border were crossed (can't remember exactly what it was... probably gun confiscation). Haslam is pro-2A, but he seemed to support the status quo on TN gun laws (although, in fairness, he has said that he does not support a blanket prohibition for concealed carry on campus).

Bottom line: Ramsey carries a handgun, according to Linoge (Meeting with Ron Ramsey | walls of the city). 'Nuff said. Wamp doesn't, as far as I know, but he would probably support most things 2A. Haslam will probably not initiate 2A reform, but he seems to be somewhat open-minded.

Any of them would (hopefully?) be better than Bredesen.

Just my $.02.

I've known Ron Ramsey for most of my 50-odd years. He and his family attend our church, and I get the chance to converse with him regularly. He has been very consistent in his support of 2A matters throughout his career. He is a fiscal and social conservative.

I've never met either Wamp or Haslam, but I've not been impressed with either's actions or words. From my interactions with Ron over the years, I have little doubt that he would make an excellent governor.

Sorry about that link not working. Everyone chiming in is saying what that link would have done for you. Ramsey is probably the better candidate, with his views on 2nd amendment issues. Wamp and Haslam don't do much for me.

Haslam was a member of the Mayors Against Illegal Guns (started by NYC mayor Bloomberg). Haslam left that group about the time he decided to run for TN Governor.

Typical politician!

If I had to vote today it would be Ramsey. I hope that we will continue to get good information about what other TGO'ers learn about the candidates up to election day.

THis bears repeating:

Wamp, to be honest, is just about as good on guns as Ramsey. But, lest anyone forget, he voted for the bailout when the pressure was put on him.

I've met Wamp a few times and was pretty jazzed when he first starting talking about running a couple of years ago. Then came the day he voted for the bailout. NO thanks...

mark

Haslam was a member of the Mayors Against Illegal Guns (started by NYC mayor Bloomberg). Haslam left that group about the time he decided to run for TN Governor.

That's an automatic HELL NO vote to me. I guess it will either be Ramsey or Wamp but I admit i'm not too excited about any of the candidates. I was wishing Marsha Blackburn would run for Governor.

Bottom line: Ramsey carries a handgun, according to Linoge (Meeting with Ron Ramsey | walls of the city). 'Nuff said. Wamp doesn't, as far as I know, but he would probably support most things 2A. Haslam will probably not initiate 2A reform, but he seems to be somewhat open-minded.

Small point of clarification, in the interests of fairness - WizardPC, my co-writer, actually met Ramsey, and learned that he carries a KelTec :).

Ramsey still runs a survey company, a small business, along with his real estate business. Knows about having to make a payroll. He is not a lawyer, has always been a supporter of gun rights, sponsored the Handgun Permit Carry Bill in Tennessee as a freshman legislator.

Guest oldsmobile98
Small point of clarification, in the interests of fairness - WizardPC, my co-writer, actually met Ramsey, and learned that he carries a KelTec :bat:.

My bad, thanks for the correction.

I know of Bill Haslam personally, my sister was their live in "nanny" when she was in college. They were very nice and helped her get through tough college years and have always been friends. That being said i have been very dissapointed in his track record of late and doesn't seem consistent with what I thought of him before he started getting into the political arena. Sad what politics does/is allowed to do to a person.

FWIW (very little), Wamp was at our church this past weekend. While churches aren't allowed to "support" anyone, Maury will let them (any of them) get up and say a few words. I didn't get a chance to talk with him, but he spoke impressively, and seemed to come across as one of the good guys.