Pulled my weapon for the first time.Opinions?

I pulled my weapon for the first time tonight. Now, after everything has calmed down, I'm reflecting upon my actions, and would like outside opinions.

I took my girlfriend to the movies and we got home at 9:30pm. We had just pulled into the driveway and stepped out of the car.Suddenly a primer grey truck pulled into our driveway at a high speed. He then veered left about 3 feet from my girlfriend and preceeded to drive through my front yard,up a small embankment,and into an adjacent parking lot.He then got back on the road and drove off.

I had drawn my weapon the minute it became clear to me that he was not slowing down and was headed directly towards my girlfriend. My weapon was never pointed at the vehichle; it was in a ready position at my side.

I called the local PD,they sent a car out,and I explained what had happened to the officer. This is where I was caught off guard. He told me that I should not have pulled my weapon unless they stepped out of the truck.He said it wasn't the right thing to do because they could have been drunk and I wasn't sure of what they were doing.

Id like to hear some opinions on my actions.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pulled my weapon for the first time tonight. Now, after everything has calmed down, I'm reflecting upon my actions, and would like outside opinions.

I took my girlfriend to the movies and we got home at 9:30pm. We had just pulled into the driveway and stepped out of the car.Suddenly a primer grey truck pulled into our driveway at a high speed. He then veered left about 3 feet from my girlfriend and preceeded to drive through my front yard,up a small embankment,and into an adjacent parking lot.He then got back on the road and drove off.

I had drawn my weapon the minute it became clear to me that he was not slowing down and was headed directly towards my girlfriend. My weapon was never pointed at the vehichle; it was in a ready position at my side.

I called the local PD,they sent a car out,and I explained what had happened to the officer. This is where I was caught off guard. He told me that I should not have pulled my weapon unless they stepped out of the truck.He said it wasn't the right thing to do because they could have been drunk and I wasn't sure of what they were doing.

Id like to hear some opinions on my actions.

It's hard to say what was right through your eyes but from what I gather from your description I would not have drawn my weapon in that scenerio.

I would have to agree with the cop in this situation.

Going to have to disagree with Lowbud on this one. A vehicle is just as deadly as a gun or knife and until you are in that situation you don't know how you're going to react. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine I would have done the same thing if a vehicle was racing towards me(after I got the hell out of the way). Definitely a good thing you did not open fire though! Props for handling it well.

Going to have to disagree with Lowbud on this one. A vehicle is just as deadly as a gun or knife and until you are in that situation you don't know how you're going to react. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine I would have done the same thing if a vehicle was racing towards me(after I got the hell out of the way). Definitely a good thing you did not open fire though! Props for handling it well.

Exactly, I would not have pulled my weapon unless to open fire. getting out of the way would be my first reaction. Why would you open fire on a speeding vehicle. I don't buy it. Premature draw iMO.

Exactly, I would not have pulled my weapon unless to open fire. getting out of the way would be my first reaction. Why would you open fire on a speeding vehicle. I don't buy it. Premature draw iMO.

I see your point, shooting at a vehicle isn't going to do much good(unless you are Mel Gibson in his newest movie). I guess if you are safely out of the path of the vehicle there is no reason to draw/fire. But it's also easy to say what should or shouldn't be done. I'm sure his adrenalin was pumping, still can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing.

So would you say then, that a person should never draw unless they plan to shoot? I'm not saying I disagree but there have been many times where just the threat of a gun has ended the threat..food for though.

I see your point, shooting at a vehicle isn't going to do much good(unless you are Mel Gibson in his newest movie). I guess if you are safely out of the path of the vehicle there is no reason to draw/fire. But it's also easy to say what should or shouldn't be done. I'm sure his adrenalin was pumping, still can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing.

So would you say then, that a person should never draw unless they plan to shoot? I'm not saying I disagree but there have been many times where just the threat of a gun has ended the threat..food for though.

This is why I said it's hard to say what was right in your eyes/mind. Every situation is different and yes adrenalin and fear do play a role. i'm just saying if it was me I would have gotten out of the path of the vehicle and ready for whatever happens next.

I have never had to draw on anyone. It's easy to say what one will do in a given situation but when the situation comes up they do something totally different. In my mind I don't plan on drawing unless I intend to fire. however, having said that I have been in hairy situations where drawing crossed my mind but I didn't do it and everything was fine.

In the situation the OP described I don't believe I would draw my weapon.

Edited by lowbud
spelling errors
The time frame would help with my call. Did this take 5 seconds to happen? 10? 20?

Id say it took all of 15 seconds from the time he entered my drive to the time he hit the parking lot. The tracks their tires ripped into my yard shows they were hauling ass. It was two men, one short hispanic male,and a tall white male(Using the bottom of the window to gauge height). My girlfreind thought for sure she was going to be hit. She is also afraid they are going to come back.

I drew my weapon after I was sure it was not someone I knew trying to be funny. At that point all I could think of was 3000 pounds headed straight towards us. I could have cared less if they were drunk or not thats not going to get a pardon from me.

In my mind I don't plan on drawing unless I intend to fire. however, haivng said that I have been in hairy situations where drawing crossed my mind but I didn't do it and everything was fine.

In the situation you described I don't believe I would draw my weapon.

My concern was my girlfriend.We have been together 5 years and its safe to say that im am not going to let anything happen to her. If it were just me I would have acted much differently, but I had less than a second to make a choice about her saftey. They may not have kept driving,they may have jumped out of the car with guns. I wasnt going to take a chance in OUR yard about HER saftey.

Edited by Jack
Guest jackdm3

His initial approach seemed most like an invasion maneuver. I would consider it hostile until proven otherwise, pistol closely to my thigh. They were probably only cutting up and won't be seen again.

My concern was my girlfriend.We have been together 5 years and its safe to say that im am not going to let anything happen to her. If it were just me I would have acted much differently, but I had less than a second to make a choice about her safty. They may not have kept driving,they may have jumped out of the car with guns. I wasnt going to take a chance in OUR yard about HER saftey.

You don't have to justify your actions. You asked for opinions.

You don't have to justify your actions. You asked for opinions.

I was just letting you guys know what was running through my mind, emotions are a huge factor in decisions. I always told myself that I wouldn't pull my gun unless I was going to fire. Thats why this night has been such a learning experience.

I am expecting differing opinions.

Wasn't there, so can't say for sure. But ...

Only twice in my life have I been faced with a situation where I considered drawing. First time, only had to show my holstered weapon (vs. 3, armed with a bat/tire tool/knife). Second time, was faced with a .22, pointed at me, and drew my .45. Both ended well. Point is, the mere presence of my weapon, IMO, caused the situation to end peacefully. No one (and most importantly, yours truly) sustained any injuries. So ... ... perhaps, just perhaps ... they noticed your weapon and changed their minds??? Like I said, wasn't there, so don't know ... just speculating ...

I can say that on my first occasion of staring down the barrel of a snubbie (probably a .38, but it looked to be about a foot diameter hole in the end of that barrel) caused my hair to turn white and I developed a sudden stutter. I have seldom been without a means to defend myself and my family since that day. Also thankful I've never had to pull that trigger.

Again, just my humble opinion ... ... No one died. It's all good.

Drawing your weapon into a ready position to me in that situation is 100% ok in my book.

You didn't point all you did was see a possible threat and readied yourself if it was needed. That few seconds of unholstering could have saved your butt if they jumped out armed.

And yes even the threat of the weapon can clear trouble even if you really think you wont have to use it. That was proved to me last week in a restaurant bathroom, i just had surgery the week before to remove a cancerous tumor in my throat and the scar on my throat and the ability for me not to move my neck good must have showed weakness to a little punk that pulled a pretty little tiny knife out and asked for my S**T when i came out of the stall (thought about telling him i already flushed it) so i just moved my coat aside and put my hand on Mr Ruger and looked him in the eye and i think he tried to leave me some of his s**t before he went out the door by the look of his eyes.

Maybe it did some good for the boy to see that he picked a bad target and maybe he wont decide to try that again and count his stars i was being nice.

I didn't get a gun or permit to hurt anyone and would rather not ever have to use it but i won't be a victim to anyone.

Considering where I live and area around my house, if the situation occured as you described it, the vehicle would have then become a deadly weapon and more than likley hit my car or my house. No ands ifs or butts about it. There's no room for anything else than my little rice burner in my yeard. If brandshing my weapon could/would deter this idiot from attempting to "drive up into my yard" and possibly killing someone or themselves, my pistol would definatly be "at ready"......

Considering the situation happened on your own property, you don't even need a permit to carry a shotgun, rifle, or handgun however you please on your property. I think whether or not you drew your handgun is irrelevant. You could be standing in your yard with it in your hand and not be breaking any law as long as you aren't pointing it at anyone. Think of it as answering the door with a handgun behind your back in your hand until you see who the stranger really is at night. No law would be broken as long as you don't point the gun at the stranger. Yeah you might scare the stranger...but hey...it's your property and if you want a gun in your hand that's your business.

I honestly wouldn't call the cops and tell them about drawing a gun out of a holster on my own property. It isn't worth the hassle. Some things are left unsaid. The crazies who were probably drunks left...maybe scared if they saw your handgun pointed at the ground......that's a good thing. You didn't threaten deadly force by pointing the handgun at them....so it all sounds good...but hey just my opinion.

A vehicle can most definitely be used as a deadly weapon, but once it is past you the threat no longer exists. If it stops and backs up toward you, or if it turns around and comes back, that is different. Probably should have remained holstered on this one. I'm kind of wondering why you told the cop you had a gun to begin with.

I would not have drawn unless the car circled around and came back, or stopped and people got out.

Pistol bullets don't do a very good job of stopping most vehicles, so I'd have been more concerned with getting out of the way and figuring out exactly what was going on.

J.

I would not have drawn unless the car circled around and came back, or stopped and people got out.

Pistol bullets don't do a very good job of stopping most vehicles, so I'd have been more concerned with getting out of the way and figuring out exactly what was going on.

Jamie stole my answer.

I don't see anything wrong with you drawing your weapon and taking a shot or two if the truck is coming at you. It's your property, right? A truck is entering your property threatening you and your girlfriend, or whatever. You don't know. Who cares if this driver is drunk? That has nothing to do with your safety as you perceive it. if you feel your life is threatened by being run down, you have a right to protect yourself and your girlfriend.

You probably made the right decision, but if you chose to use your weapon, I think you would have been justified. You were lucky. And yes, until you are in that position, it's hard to say.

I think some of the different opinions have to do with different ideas of what "draw my weapon" means.

Some see a difference (as do I) between simply removing it from the holster and keeping it at the low ready and actually aiming it at someone.

In this case it may have been a bit much to aim it at the truck, but I think having it at the ready is just fine.

I probably would have called the police to report him driving through my yard (if I had any information I could give them) but no real reason to mention that you had drawn your weapon into the ready position.

Not sure what the driver possibly being drunk has to do with it either, if a person is a viable threat, what difference does it make if they are intoxicated or not?

J.

+1, First and foremost I'd be getting the GF to the front door of the house or toward cover, if possible. My second thought would be hand on the weapon and just making sure there is no clothing or other material impeding your draw.

Since none of us were in your situation, we can really just guess what we would do. The important thing is to remain calm and not overstep "reasonable" self-defense. I think you did just fine, since you didn't actually point the weapon.

Guest Tenngunner

I have pointed a gun at several people in my lifetime (all in L.E. scenerios, save one). It has been present in some situations I've been exposed to, on other occasions, unknown to the (potential) adversary-like in my jacket pocket, or behind the small of my back, when answering a door. Fortunately, I've never fired upon anyone, and hope never to.

As far as your particular situation, it is my view that second-guessing yourself too much may be a bit dangerous, in that it may cause you to (fatally) hesitate, in the future. There is no such thing as a 'fair' (potential) gunfight, and I want all the advantages to be mine. Cops are notorious for giving (somewhat) 'PC' advice/comments in such cases. Remember, you are a civilian, and are not bound by departmental procedures, as they are. I agree with a previous poster that (given the circumstances) I would not have brought the police into this one.

I was stopped by a deputy a few months back, and was working security at the time. Don't want to give every detail, but the back windows (it was a fairly cold night, then) of my car were fogged up, and I couldn't clearly see him, as he followed me. I had no idea it was a L.E. vehicle, until he turned the lights on. I was not speeding, and had just left the park, where I worked. I had a lot of trouble with people and vehicles there, and had just been in a (slight) verbal confrontation with a guy hanging out after hours, in a car-who I'd asked to leave, as I closed up. Anyway, I thought he might have come back and followed me, as I departed. The deputy was right up on my bumper, and had those 'skinny' overhead lights, that are very hard to see, at midnight-+, when tired, and with the dew on my windows. I saw him immediately, (in my side mirrors) as he came flying up-on my ass. I sped up, to keep from being rammed from behind, and he matched my move. I knew there was an 'issue' then-and tried to accelerate away from him, as I rounded a right corner. He stayed glued to my tail, so I switched lanes, and was intending to zoom over into a (well-lighted) gas station, when he 'lighted' me. Anyway-I was pretty high-strung when he approached my window, but knew what not to do. Actually, I was pissed off that he put me in a situation like that-which was dangerous from both a vehicle and gun perspective. My concealed handgun stayed in my pocket, and he never knew about it. The part that bothered me the most was his comment to my comment/story about the guy from the park...'that's what WE are for-just call us, in the future.' That's PC bullpuckey-as the old saying goes-'when you need them in seconds, they're just minutes away!' The mindset that thinks citizens can't take care of themselves, and that every on-the-spot situation can be handled by our L.E./911-never ceases to amaze me. Yes, they are an important part of civil society, but a free man is responsible for his own (and his family/neighborhood) security!

I think you did fine-not to worry. :up:

As Fallguy said, there is a difference between "low ready" and taking aim.

This is a huge difference. "Low ready", means you're prepared to defend yourself if necessary. Aiming at someone can actually be an assault if you don't have justification. In this case, you had no way of knowing if you were about to be attacked or if someone had just fallen asleep at the wheel.

Edited by JReedEsq