What was your first car/truck?

Guest Baddawg865

Guest sigmaguy

1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. Engine was a '85 5.0 block bored .040 over, fordged rotating assembly, edlebrock heads and intake, FRPP E303 cam, 1100cfm Dominator carb and a 150 shot. 5spd with a detroit lockered 8.8 loaded with 3.08 gears.

Had a lot of fun in that car. I got pulled over at least once a week in that car to get hassled by the troopers around here. I got bailed out of a few tickets by other officers that i knew. Won $20 on a bet that one of their partol cars could outrun me on the top end, have witnesses for this, also.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first vehicle was a 1964 Ford F-350. It had an 11' flatbed with a wood floor, dual rear wheels, and a 4 speed manual transmission.

I had a few other Ford trucks, put a combined 350,000 miles on two 7.3 liter PowerStroke trucks (both of which are still going strong). Now I drive a 1956 Ford F-350 with a 9' flatbed with a wood floor, dual rear wheels, and a 4 speed.

I thought new vehicles were supposed to be...well, new(er). :rolleyes::D

The first car I was allowed to drive was a Buick Electra 445 (think land yacht).

The first car that was truly mine was a Datsun 710 station wagon (1975, I think). It was a stick shift and it would move on down the highway (I remember having it up to at least 115 a time or two).

I would have kept it forever but I rolled it one Saturday night.

Edited by Loon160T
Guest Eagle One

1952 Plymouth station wagon, Dad gave it to me when he bought a 1957 Ford station wagon. My first car that I paid for was a 52 Chevy ($60.00). Drove that car till me and my wife got us a really good 52 Willis which we drove until we bought a 48 Nash, which we drove until we moved up to a 57 Desoto. It was fun being really broke and driving all of that really cool IRON.... The Air Force Base we were stationed on made everyone put seat belts in and the guys were using a drift punch to make holes in the floors for the bolts until they bent their drift punch on the floor of that 48 Nash, they said that was the only one they had to drill, this was in 1963......

Dad gave me his 1973 Mercury XR7. Kinda like this one, wish I still had it.

Cougar34.JPG

Best car I ever owned was a 70 Cougar XR7, Sister bought it used and the motor had been doped up so they got about 6 months out of it before it started acting up. She was tending bar down in FL and one of her customers rebuilt it. I later found out he owed his own racing team. It was given to me in 1988 and at 100mpr it would raise the front end up if you stomped it. scared the crap outta me.

My first car was a 1971 Plymouth Barracuda, replaced shortly by a 1967 Chevy II Nova. I kept that car for quite some time. It was med red metallic, so slick a fly couldn't light on it, and FASSSSSSSSSSSSSSST! Shortly after that, I added a 1979 Harley Davidson 1000 Sportster. I knew from a young age I was going to want toys when I became old enough to drive them. I worked hard, saved my money, and really enjoyed them. I wish I had been a bit more farsighted and kept them.:rolleyes:

Hipower, my first car was a '66 Ford Custom... Basically a Galaxy 500 4-door, but with a 3 speed on the column, and an inline 6 -cylinder.

The car cost all of $200 dollars in 1979. It ended up being totaled for me by my step-father. :rolleyes:

In the end, I had more than 21 cars before I even turned 21. I've lost count of how many I've owned by now.

J.

Jamie, you're too young to remember those good ole' Fords. One of my friends had a 65 XL500 2-dr with a 390 and C6 tranny it was a beauty.

Guest musiccitymadman

1972 Dodge challenger R/T 440 4spd paid $500 for it when I turned 16 needed a starter and alternator. Drove it till 1986 when I was driving to Wisconsin to visit my grandparents for christmas and was hit by a Semi in a snow storm totaled my Baby and damn near killed me

New Black and Gold 1979 Z-28 bought at EB Smith Chevrolet Nashville, @ 18 yrs. old I saved $1500 for down payment and left with enough money to get the car home. I still 30 yrs later remember the payments to GMAC $184.66. nice car not a wise purchase for a young man. Put in a L-82 cam & hedders, messed with the distributor and the car would run past the 130 mph mark wrap around up to the 15 mph mark wonder still how fast that was. Keystone Classic rims. B & M shift kit street to strip plate in the trans. with the hole drilled out and would bark the tires in 2nd 60+. Crashed her in a monsoon rain on Easter morning 1984, never drove straight again.

Jamie, you're too young to remember those good ole' Fords. One of my friends had a 65 XL500 2-dr with a 390 and C6 tranny it was a beauty.

Oh, I have a looong memory. :rofl:

I still remember being left sit by a white '59 Chevy somewhere in Indiana, about 1966 or so. Also remember the '40s Plymouth my dad had when I was no more than 2 years old.... The damn thing always smelled of brake fluid.

By the way... One of my great uncles still has the '65 Galaxy that he bought new. It still has the plastic bubble-wrap type seat cover things on it that came from the factory.

And no, he won't sell it. :hyper:

J.

P.S. I also owned a '66 Merc. Comet when I was 19. :D

Guest mosinon

I think I can win this contest...

'76 AMC pacer. Two tone.

Yeah, you read that right, my Dad bought a new pacer in 1976. To ensure he didn't become a grandfather too early I got in '85.

The ball joint in the steering (so they told me) was broken so the steering wheel had a lot of play and it smelled of gas when you stomped on the pedal. Plus, it only started occasionally.

But you know what was great about that car? I mean really, do you know anything good about pacers? That car sucked.

First new car I had was a 1991 Volkswagen GTI. I like the car I have now pretty well, a 2006 Honda Pilot. Cause I'm all like it says "Honda"

Guest Sgt. Joe

56 Chevy Bel Air, 4 door Hardtop.....bought from a friend of my dads for 10 bucks.....yep 10 bucks......and it did run and run well. I was about 13 1/2 at the time.

Dad told me first night I could sit in it and listen to the radio and start it but NOT to leave the drive way. Well I listened to the radio just fine.....just not so much my dad.......I still remember the whooping I took that night.

Mom drove us kids to FL from OH in it when dad retired from AF, he stayed behind a few weeks. The car was driven every day by one or the other of my parents.

When I got my license it was finally really mine. I had finished the inside with blue shag carpet, fancy red white and blue seat covers and blue interior lights. Craig 8 track and midland CB radio, even had brand new fuzzy dice a blue and white pair and a red and white pair. I was almost ready to paint the thing when a friend rolled and totaled it.He was a :rofl::hyper:

It looked like the red one below only with 4 doors, but was the color of the blue one (a 57)

Well blue and lots of red primer spots.....I always wished it was a 57, 2 door..... but now I just wish I still had it.:D

That car never once did not start and run when asked, stopping at times was fun and that was how I learned to use the Emer. brake as a regular brake:D it works just fine if ya know how to do it.;)

Also I did get 40 bucks for it after the wreck.

250px-56_Bel_Air_Sport_Sedan.jpg

220px-57_Bel_Air.jpg

I think I can win this contest...

'76 AMC pacer. Two tone.

Yeah, you read that right, my Dad bought a new pacer in 1976. To ensure he didn't become a grandfather too early I got in '85.

1246452662_mirth-mobile-1976-amc-pa.jpg

Nice car! :hyper:

1973 Gremlin X with a 304cu/in V8. Yellow with Orange stripes. That car kept me out of trouble. The sheriff knew where I lived. Any time someone would report a speeding yellow Gremlin full of drunk, dope smoking red necks, the sheriff would just go sit in my driveway an wait. It didn't take but a few run ins with Sheriff Pearson to straighten my ass out. I thank God for that every day!

Edited by Will Carry

I was 16 at the time. My first car was a 1963 Ford Galaxy 500 2 door hard top. White with a black interior. 289 with an automatic. Paid 1 dollar for it. A guy had it sitten in the road. His kids used it for collage and they were done with it. Put a starter on it, jumped it and drove it home. Rebuilt the top end, a little body work, my Dad helped me spray it in the driveway and we were good to go!

Wish I still had it. Dad made me sell it when I went into the Navy. With 6 kids in the family and half of us driving space was at a premium.