Thru hiking the AT

Guest ab28

Guest SUNTZU
Thanks for your continued posts. What kind of people are you meeting? They talk funny up thar. In the summer they wear shots and drive golf cats.

Cots, its golf cots. They also pahck theyah cahs ahn tha boolahvahd.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Centennial

ab28,

It sure sounds like you are having quite an adventure. I've long wanted to thru hike the AT, but age and arthritis limit my abilities. I can still enjoy reading about others trips. Hang in there!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got into New Hampshire. Did big miles again and am going to take 3 days off. I have 430 miles left, but the terrain will get much harder. Vermont was pretty rugged as well.

Got into Lincoln, NH yesterday, with 371 miles to go. My biggest day in the Whites was 16 miles. The terrain is much tougher out here, steep climbs up the sides of mountains that go up for thousands of feet, rocks and roots and mud everywhere. I have met several southbounders who say I have about a month left.

Biggest was a 20 in the Whites. The terrain was really hard, but incredible views. I am in Andover, Maine, with 256 miles left. Maine has been pretty brutal so far. I have fallen several times, and the wind on the mountains is pretty bad. The views out here are amazing, it is too bad that I am ready to be done, so I won't be enjoying it as much as I usually would. I have been out here almost 5 months now. I tried using a tarp survival blanket and a sleeping bag insert, worked well until the temps hit the low 50's. I am at a hostel now, will see about looking at some sleeping bags later on today.

I do experiment with gear, and have had a few sleepless nights because of it, but I would rather try different things and see what works. I could use the survival blanket in an emergency, but it wouldn't be comfortable. I have tried different methods of sleeping with it, sleeping in my raingear and on my stomach increases the warmth. I really thought I could go lower than 50 with this system, but I guess not.

Guest The Highlander

When you get to the Roan Mountain, TN area, make sure you stop at Bob's Dairyland and eat. We serve a ton of thru-hikers every year, and we make sure to overfeed you. If you need a ride back to the trailhead, and it isn't during a peak rush, I'll be happy to take you back, or to the hostel, whereever you are staying. We are in Roan Mountain, TN. Between Carver's Gap and Watauga Lake. Their is a nice hostel here as well, that caters to hikers, called the Mountain Harbour, there phone number is 423.772.9494.

Bob's Dairyland has a Facebook page where you can sign up as a Fan and see what is going on. We will gladly let you fill your water bottles and such too. Our phone is 423.772.3641, our email is bobsdairyland@ymail.com, and our address is 8361 Hwy 19 E in Roan Mountain, TN 37687.

And we are certainly gun and carry friendly!

The Highlander

When you get to the Roan Mountain, TN area, make sure you stop at Bob's Dairyland and eat. We serve a ton of thru-hikers every year, and we make sure to overfeed you. If you need a ride back to the trailhead, and it isn't during a peak rush, I'll be happy to take you back, or to the hostel, whereever you are staying. We are in Roan Mountain, TN. Between Carver's Gap and Watauga Lake. Their is a nice hostel here as well, that caters to hikers, called the Mountain Harbour, there phone number is 423.772.9494.

Bob's Dairyland has a Facebook page where you can sign up as a Fan and see what is going on. We will gladly let you fill your water bottles and such too. Our phone is 423.772.3641, our email is bobsdairyland@ymail.com, and our address is 8361 Hwy 19 E in Roan Mountain, TN 37687.

And we are certainly gun and carry friendly!

The Highlander

He passed you a while back. He is in Maine right now and started in GA.

wow, I just read though this thread. what an adventure.

I have a question, How much weight do you think you have lost on this trip?

Man, if I could only get that kind of time off from work and not have to worry about bills it would be nice to take a trip like that.

I have lost 14 lbs, most of it upper body mass. I was never big, but worked out regularly and was in good shape.

I am in Monson, Maine, with 115 miles left. I should be home within 2 weeks.

Thanks for the update.

BTW, didn't they tell you, it is a round trip, when you go north, you have to hike back south :drool:

Your trip has got me interested in the AT more then ever.

Since i am settled down, with a wife, job, bills, and other. I can't take the time to hit it like you have.

But I brought up the idea to a co worker that he and I should take this winter to get in better shape and maybe take a week off next spring and hike/camp a section of it.

He is a HCP and I will have mine hopefully any day.

If I ever do the AT, I think I will just volid the states I could not carry I guess, as there is no way I am going hiking that kind of distance unarmed.

• 2 weeks later...

Did 3 30 mile days in a row and summitted Katahdin on August 12th. Took a Greyhound home, which was a long and boring trip. Been busy the last couple days catching up on stuff and fixing gear.

Did 3 30 mile days in a row and summitted Katahdin on August 12th. Took a Greyhound home, which was a long and boring trip. Been busy the last couple days catching up on stuff and fixing gear.

Katahdin is a glorious peak isn't it?! Its the only part of the AT that I have hiked but it was amazing. Maine was an extremely cool place to be!