Thru hiking the AT

Guest ab28

Guest Randy

March 9th, 7:00 PM, Hiking the Appalachian Trail - Part 2 Come learn from our experienced thru-hikers! In part 2 of this presentation we will plunge into the nitty gritty details of a thru-hike, covering gear, packing, food planning, and more! All are welcome, even if you did not attend the first part.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am at Franklin, NC, about 110 miles in. It has been very cold, with snow and ice storms and blowdowns all over the trail. Hopefully the weather will clear up soon.

I have never really heard of anyone doing this before, so I decided to do a little research. This sounds like a very physically taxing experience....

Record is less than 48 days with supply support.

Around 60 non-supported I think.

- OS

Record is less than 48 days with supply support.

Around 60 non-supported I think.

- OS

More like double that estimate. The trail is about 2175 miles long. A somewhat aggressive estimate of 20 miles/day = 109 days. Not including zero days, weather delays, etc.

More like double that estimate. The trail is about 2175 miles long. A somewhat aggressive estimate of 20 miles/day = 109 days. Not including zero days, weather delays, etc.

Wiki says:

"The current unofficial speed record for through-hiking the AT was set by trail runner Andrew Thompson in 2005, at 47 days, 13 hours and 31 minutes. Thompson made the trip southbound, from late June to early August."

whiteblaze.net agrees, and cites these as the top speeds:

1. Andrew Thompson: 47 days 13 hours 31 minutes (2005)

2. Pete Palmer: 48 days 20 hours 11 minutes (1999)

3. David Horton: 52 days 9 hours (1991)

4. Karl Meltzer: 54 days 21 hours 12 minutes (2008)

5. Scott Grierson: 55 days 20 hours 34 minutes (1991)

6. Jennifer Pharr Davis: 57 days 8 hours 35 minutes (2008) [women's record]

These were all supported hikes (think "runs"),

Also found on WhiteBlaze, apparently record for unsupported is:

60.5 days, by Ward Leonard

There is no "official" record, as there is no official AT "body", beyond the NPS, but these times have all been well verified by hiking clubs, support teams, and the like. Also, the exact length of the trail has not always remained the same, either.

The club network is quite extensive, as a matter of fact, the clubs pretty much maintain the trail, rather than the NPS.

I was acquainted with a fellow who reportedly had the unsupported record, twice, back in the late 60's, I believe it was in the 75 day range back then.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Would that be Branley Owen?

Glenn

Wow, it was indeed!

edit: (more)

Found this excerpt from

Long-Distance Hiking: Lessons from the Appalachian Trail

By Roland Mueser

"Prior to 1973 there were at least a dozen transits under 100 days. Branley Owen's record 73-day hike in 1970 required 14-15 hours per day on the trail and averaging over 27 miles per day. He reached Katahdin 39 pounds lighter and exhausted. Owen carried a minimum of food and equipment, with a pack weight never exceeding 28 pounds."

I never personally knew Branley very well -- he was sometimes among the rather large circle of Usual Suspects in the front window of Sam and Andy's, back in the day.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Apparently I misunderstood your post. You said "unsupported" in reference to record times. I took "unsupported" to mean average unsupported thru-hiker time. I missed that you were still referring to record times. :doh:Apologies...

Seems to me that "racing" through it is missing the point, but to each his own.

Apparently I misunderstood your post. You said "unsupported" in reference to record times. I took "unsupported" to mean average unsupported thru-hiker time. I missed that you were still referring to record times. :doh:Apologies...

It's all good.

It made me reacquaint myself with some AT stuff, and even bring back some old memories.

- OS

• 2 weeks later...

I am at Hot Springs, NC, about 270 miles in. The Smokies were pretty nasty, 4 foot drifts on the trail off of Clingman's. Supposedly a record snowfall this year, most in 25 years. The first 3 weeks were around 30 in the daytime, with teens and twenties at night. I woke up to frozen socks numerous times. Hiking through the snow was extremely taxing, I burned through 18 lbs of food in 6 days in the smokies. I generally carry 18-20 lbs of food, with a total pack weight of around 35 lbs with one liter of water.

It is a very nice day today, stopped in town for a resupply, Dollar General is my favorite place for food, got about 2 weeks worth for a little over 40 dollars, took a shower and washed clothes. Supposed to be really nice the next couple of weeks, probably be able to start putting in some miles.

Guest SUNTZU
I am at Hot Springs, NC, about 270 miles in. The Smokies were pretty nasty, 4 foot drifts on the trail off of Clingman's. Supposedly a record snowfall this year, most in 25 years. The first 3 weeks were around 30 in the daytime, with teens and twenties at night. I woke up to frozen socks numerous times. Hiking through the snow was extremely taxing, I burned through 18 lbs of food in 6 days in the smokies. I generally carry 18-20 lbs of food, with a total pack weight of around 35 lbs with one liter of water.

It is a very nice day today, stopped in town for a resupply, Dollar General is my favorite place for food, got about 2 weeks worth for a little over 40 dollars, took a shower and washed clothes. Supposed to be really nice the next couple of weeks, probably be able to start putting in some miles.

Glad to hear the update. Coming off the trail into Hot Springs was a relief, I bet. Did you use the hostel? Watch out for snakes! :devil:

Good luck ab28. Thanks for the update.

Remember you can dry out at least one article of clothes in the bottom of your sleeping bag each night. (any more than that and they will not dry). Might be a good place to keep those socks to keep them from freezing. Probably not a concern with the new warm weather though.

Yeah, one of the guys I was hiking with has a sister that lives in Johnson City, TN. We came over, showered, washed clothes, and are cooking dinner. I will be back on the trail early tomorrow, starting back in Erwin,TN. I now carry 12 lbs of food and 2 liters of water. The 18 lbs was too heavy, and slowed me down. As I hiked slower and took more breaks, the extra weight is not really worth it. I think I will stick with 10-12 lbs. Water is heavy, but with it getting hotter, I won't go with any less than 2 liters.

I did a couple of 22 mile days the last few. It is good to be sitting around relaxing.

As far as hostels go, they are 15-20 for a night's stay. I generally hit a town early, wash clothes, shower, and eat a town meal. I then get a food resupply and hit up the library for internet. Probably take a big break in Damascus, VA, which is about 1/4th of the way through the trail. I generally try not to stay at a hostel, I can head out of town and hit a shelter or tent camp for free. I generally prefer my tent over a shelter for privacy, and I can listen to music in the middle of the night if I wake up or whatever. Also, hikers will come in late and wake people up, and they generally are dirty and have mice problems.

Diaper rash ointment is a lifesaver for chafing on hot days.

Edited by ab28
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got into Troutdale, VA. About to eat a huge lunch. I am a little over 500 miles in. My knees and lower legs have been hurting a bit, so I am doing slower 10-15 mile days for a few. Going to take tomorrow off.

Just got into Troutdale, VA. About to eat a huge lunch. I am a little over 500 miles in. My knees and lower legs have been hurting a bit, so I am doing slower 10-15 mile days for a few. Going to take tomorrow off.

Appreciate your updates, pulling for you.

I hope you're keeping at least a rudimentary journal ... would love to see a long account of your adventure.

- OS

Guest mosinon

Keep going! You never know what you'll regret in later life but hiking the trail is something you won't regret.

Or so they tell me, I wouldn't try it cause I'm a wuss. You can do it though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest ab28

Waynesboro, VA, 850 miles in. Did 29 in one day yesterday, was soaking wet with a monster rainstorm all day. I am generally able to use library computers in the towns I stop at.

Guest Newbie

wow, 29 miles in one day, awesome! A friend and I are leaving in 2 days to go do 11 days. Starting from the beginning. He's thru hiked the whole thing and I've never hiked. His expertise will be and has been very helpful.

I was nervous, but hearing about you doing 29 in one day helps me. He's got us planned out to do 13-18 miles per day. So excited!

GL and keep us updated.