Starbucks response

I emailed Starbucks to let them know I appreciate their not succumbing to the gun control pressure. I was a little surprised I got a response and thought I'd post it here.

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company.

We recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding the issue of open carry weapons laws. Advocacy groups from both sides of this issue have chosen to use Starbucks as a way to draw attention to their positions.

While we deeply respect the views of all our customers, Starbucks long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged. We comply with local laws and statutes in all the communities we serve. In this case, 43 of the 50 U.S. states have open carry weapon laws. Where these laws don't exist, we comply with laws that prohibit the open carrying of weapons. The political, policy and legal debates around these issues belong in the legislatures and courts, not in our stores.

At the same time, we have a security protocol for any threatening situation that might occur in our stores. Partners are trained to call law enforcement as situations arise. We will continuously review our procedures to ensure the highest safety guidelines are in place and we will continue to work closely with law enforcement.

We have examined this issue through the lens of partner (employee) and customer safety. Were we to adopt a policy different from local laws allowing open carry, we would be forced to require our partners to ask law abiding customers to leave our stores, putting our partners in an unfair and potentially unsafe position.

As the public debate continues, we are asking all interested parties to refrain from putting Starbucks or our partners into the middle of this divisive issue. As a company, we are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society. Our Starbucks family knows all too well the dangers that exist when guns are used irresponsibly and illegally. Without minimizing this unfortunate reality, we believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective.

Warm Regards,

Alyssa R.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Eagle One

Good of them to respond to your e-mail and good for you to e-mail them in the first place. It sounds like they are aware that our gun laws can be a very difficult subject to deal with as a large company in many varied and diverse. I will support them from time to time....

Were we to adopt a policy different from local laws allowing open carry, we would be forced to require our partners to ask law abiding customers to leave our stores, putting our partners in an unfair and potentially unsafe position.

I like this line. Sounds like they understand legal and responcible carry is a deturrent to crime. But, if they start to get to much heat from the media and anti gun groups they may just decide to post all their stores against open carry.

Guest Glock23ForMe
I can't think of a worse place to open carry than a Starbucks. Filled with soccer moms, bohemians, clove cigarette smokers, and sheeple in general. Very likely to have a freak-out on your hands.

Amen :ugh::cool:

I recommend everyone send Starbucks an email thanking them for not infringing upon the right to carry laws. I have done so and received a similar reply.

I favor open carry laws but as already said just because it is legal does not always mean it is wise to do so. One of the benefits to open carry is it does acclimate the sheeple to the fact that people do responsibly carry. But I believe one needs to exercise discretion where to open carry.

• Moderators
Not arguing here, but where/how does it say that?

1 CO 10:23-24(NIV)

"Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.

I believe this is the verse being referenced.

I can respect Starbuck's position in that they are a private business following the law and shouldn't be used as a tool by either side in a fight that isn't theirs, they are just trying to sell some coffee.

Edited by Chucktshoes
edited to remove needless commentary.

I prefer businesses that aren't political (when their own products aren't the subject of the controversy), so kudos to Starbucks... I'm not a huge fan of their coffee, but their business approach makes me more likely than not to patronize them (especially over any of the hippie-ninny coffee houses I come across).