muy importante!!! mag and sling suggestions for m-4

So the boy calls me today, and has decided he needs some better magazines before he leaves May 8 for AFG. After asking around, the magazines I am interested in are the Pmags with the window, and the lancer translucent. These will be protecting my firstborn and heir to the family fortune (LOL) so I am not looking for the best cheapest deal, I am looking for the MOST RELIABLE mag for the AR platform. I dont want him to be in the boonies noodling with a FUBAR mag ubder the rockets red glare if ya know what I mean.

Lancer Systems | L5 Translucent Magazine

PMAG 30, 5.56x45 - PMAG 30 MagLevel, 5.56x45 Magazine - AR15/M16

Also wants a magpul MS2 sling, but I am leaving that decision up to him,

http://store.magpul.com/product/38/52

Edited by HillbillyMafia
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

I know a guy on another forum who is in Afghanistan right now whose latest report was..."The Magpul MS2 sling rules." (I edited out the swearing ;)) I'd say go for it. Many guys seem to love the P-Mags as well as Lancers. Most people seem to run Pmags.

I've had great service from Palmetto State Armory.

Magpul Industries

And I've heard good things about this place.

MAGPUL AR15 PMAG 30 ROUND MAGAZINE WINDOW OD GREEN

The non windowed mags are cheaper and by all reports work just as well.

Let us know where to send care packages to.

Guest Todd@CIS

Mags? I like USGI or PMags. As long as his USGI mags are serviceable, don't lose too much sleep on this one.

Slings? Look at stuff from BlueForceGear (Vickers) and SOE. Pay special attention to 2-Point slings for his needs.

Give him our love.

Edited by Todd@CIS

Lancer's are newer and don't have the marketing hype of Magpul behind them. Everything I've seen and heard is that they are better due to their metal reinforcement and design, but I have no real world idea how they work. I like them better, but that is just a "what I've read opinion." I don't think you can go wrong either way. I do like the transparent quality for inspection purposes. The MP window is kinda useless in combat I would think.

MagPul all the way with everything. HK mags are nice but are as said expensive. Get him 10 mags, just cuz i like 10 that is how many i used to carry. 6 in the vest 3 on tigh rig and one in mag, actually to think about it i carried 11 one the makeshift puch on the butt stock (they actually make those now)

ok, SO i SAID THE HECK With it and did overkill, ordered 1 of each and the magpul sling and told him to send me the mags ghe doesnt want. On a side note, the lancer mags use a special tool to disassemble, they look like they could be done with a knofe blade or such to remove the bottom, but...

Todd@CIS, thanks for the suggestions, sent him some links to look at.

Well since Im gonna get some AR Mags soon, guess its time to get a piston driven I been wanting LOL

Guest bart_p

The P-Mags and the Fusil mags are my favorites. They are both 100% reliable (from my experience) and both very well priced for their quality. As far as slings go, unless he is running a SBR like a 10.5 in LMT or 11.5 BCM I would highly recommend a two point sling. The single points are fantastic for the shorter weapons, but the two point is king for 14.5 in and up. The BlueForceGear Vicker's (VCAS) in the padded version is the best sling I have ever used.

On a side note: I am hearing the Magpul sling is a hit or miss with people. Either they love it or they hate it (the ones that hate it are complaining about quality of materials). Also, he will need a properly staked single point adapter such as the ASAP that Magpul makes, but will probably not be able to get due to needing to take off his current endplate (regs on modifying).

Bart

Guest rystine

Theres a video floating around the net somewhere of a Pmag that got shot but still functions. Magpul turns out a top notch product. Thats the way I would go for a PROVEN magazine.

I haven't heard alot about the L5's, but everything I've heard has been good. They're fairly new, and may prove to rival Pmags in the next couple years. I will definitely be picking up a few to try out. But for right now, if I had to depend on one mag to defend my life, it would be the Pmag.

Guest redbarron06

MAGPUL mags are about all I will carry on my next deployment. That being said if he is using standard USGI issue flap top mag pouches the PMAGS will not fit in them the way they are designed. Open top pouches should not be a problem. The ribs on the PMAGS are what causes the hangups. 2 will not fit in a 2 mag pouch, 3 will not fit in a 3 and so forth. Look into the EMAGS. Couple more dollars each but fit the flap style pouches better.

As far as the MAGPUL ASAP sling it will be just about worthless for him because unless he is special ops he will not be able to mount a single point sling mount on his M4/M16 at least not in the traditional place on the stock next to the lower. A fix for that would be a Tango down PR4 for an M4 (bolt on single point mount) or the equivelant for the M16, This will not however, give him a forward point to mount the sling. Look into Gear sector slings. much more gooder than the USGI and the Customer service is top notch. The GS2 comes with 2 standard adapters that will work with standard M4/16 monuting points and Chris will have them shipped in less than 24 hours.

Guest rystine

As far as the MAGPUL ASAP sling it will be just about worthless for him because unless he is special ops he will not be able to mount a single point sling mount on his M4/M16 at least not in the traditional place on the stock next to the lower.

Thats not necessarily true. While some chain of commands are strict about personalizing your weapon, most that I saw seem to be pretty lenient about it. Some armorers will put on a single point endplate if you bring the parts to them (you may have to bribe them with a pack of smokes or a playboy though :wall: ).

Guest redbarron06
Thats not necessarily true. While some chain of commands are strict about personalizing your weapon, most that I saw seem to be pretty lenient about it. Some armorers will put on a single point endplate if you bring the parts to them (you may have to bribe them with a pack of smokes or a playboy though :wall: ).

I am not saying it does not get done however it they are caught doing it they may face UCMJ action. Unit armorers (at least in the army) are not really allowed to do much more than change out the heat shields inside the handguards, even though they make them tear it completley down and put it back together during school. Changing our the end plate is a 3rd shop level task. Cant speak for any other service. Speaking with some of the guys from 5th SFG at Campbell they use the PR4 Adapter from TG in order to single mount because it is a bolt on item and does not require dissassembly of the weapon.

I have a MS2 sling and am very happy with it. You have to remember it will work as a single point or a two point setup. Mine is built as well as any other Magpul product.

I also use HK mags. Mine have been flawless but you can't go wrong with the P-mags either. If he likes the HK's call Shadow Warrior up here in Hartsville. He was selling them for $30 or $35 a piece and he probably would hook you since he is headed to AFG.

Guest Halfpint

I haven't had anything to add, as I haven't been overseas yet, but I've been following this thread with a lot of interest--I'm supposed to be over there late 2011 or early 2012 unless something changes.

From one shooter to the father of another, I'm praying for your son, Hillbilly.

I as well really have little more to add than what has been said here. But I will relate what I have used overseas.

I've used GI mags, HK and several of the PMAG varieties. What I have found is this...

HK works great but is heavy. ounces equals pounds, pounds equals pain. I would generally carry about ten mags so that weight added up quickly.

Pmags worked wonderfully, but as previously stated the ribs make it difficult to use them in muliple mag pouches. I did find they worked well in single mag pouches that I would use for quick reloads. Also would carry one in the rifle with no problems. I did however break a PMAG when I had to slam down on the deck rather quickly and a sharp rock hit my chest rig.

GI Mags will work most of the time if new. Depends on whats in them. The old followeres were crap. The newer green followeres are OK, but I would usually replace my followeres with the Magpul anti tilt followeres and they would run great. One thing I always recommend is to get lots of GI mags and test them. My last deployment to Haditha I think I "acquired" something like 40 GI mags and tested them for the most reliable ones.

BTW, Halfpint, you must be in Kilo in Memphis, right?