Your thoughts on 9 mm and 40 S&W Minigun calibers

leroy

Dear fellow TGO folks:____________

I am thinking about purchasing another pocket type pistol with plenty of punch to provide a "sunday go to meeting" pistol to allow my Glock 33 to rest. I like the single stacks; either a Walther PPS or Kahr PM series pocket gun. My questions for you all to ponder are these:

1. Which caliber in your collective experience is the most inherently accurate (...dont worry about the discussion of controlability; i understand that one...)?
  2. How accurate is the load you like?
  3. What factory self-defense loads do you like?
  4. What handloads do you use for practice?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Leroy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If controlability is not an issue, then I'd lean towards .40. The main equalizer in other situations is higher capacity in 9, but since you're looking at mouse guns, you're going to be in the 7+1 range anyway.

Accuracy is going to be a dead heat as well since you're dealing with a 2" barrel, although going back to the controlability, the nod goes to the 9.

My practice loads in 40 are 180g Zero JHP over 5g of VV N320 (thats also my competition load) My practice and comp load in 9mm are 125g Zero JHP over 4.2g of VV N320. Both of these would be far too soft for self-defense rounds.

For self-defense, I stick to Hydroshoks or Gold Dots.

Mac

Walther PPS for pocket carry? Seems like it would be a little big. I have a Sig p238 for pocket carry, very accurate once I got adjusted to the sights. I think you would enjoy the Kahr PM9, very accurate from what I have read about them.

Guest benrook88

I back pocket carry my 238, it shorts really well for being so small. I shoot what ever I can get my hands on for practice ammo and the same goes for defense rounds. .380 ammo is pretty damn hard to find right now. Also the 238 is just to damn sexy :rolleyes:

I back pocket carry my 238, it shorts really well for being so small. I shoot what ever I can get my hands on for practice ammo and the same goes for defense rounds. .380 ammo is pretty damn hard to find right now. Also the 238 is just to damn sexy :rolleyes:

I completely agree, and just a little FYI cabelas has .380 in stock..hurrrry

Dear fellow TGO folks:____________

I am thinking about purchasing another pocket type pistol with plenty of punch to provide a "sunday go to meeting" pistol to allow my Glock 33 to rest. I like the single stacks; either a Walther PPS or Kahr PM series pocket gun. My questions for you all to ponder are these:

1. Which caliber in your collective experience is the most inherently accurate (...dont worry about the discussion of controlability; i understand that one...)?
  2. How accurate is the load you like?
  3. What factory self-defense loads do you like?
  4. What handloads do you use for practice?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Leroy

I've got the PM40. It's a bit of a handful, but manageable. I'm actually surprised at how accurate it is up to about 25 yards.

I have a buddy with an LCP and the PM is much easier to handle.

I tend to keep Hydroshocks for SD. It hides well.

Guest Sgt. Joe
Walther PPS for pocket carry? Seems like it would be a little big. I have a Sig p238 for pocket carry, very accurate once I got adjusted to the sights. I think you would enjoy the Kahr PM9, very accurate from what I have read about them.

+1 on the PPS for pocket carry, a bit large and heavy but crazy accurate out of the box.

I just got my P238 and while I listed with my screen name I have yet to fire it so it isnt my BUG just yet. I have finally found some 380 to shoot thru it before I carry it, 200 rounds minimum and that is what I have gathered, I would like to have a couple hundred more but am chomping the bit to go fire it. That 380 stuff is like gold around here.

Horady CD's are my defense loads as they are all that has been available around here. I have plenty of those in 9 and 380 for now. I cant wait to shoot the P238 so that I can carry that sexy thing.:clap:

But if you can handle a sub-compact 9mm I would recommend that over a 380, I really cant so that is why I have the 380's.

Edited by Sgt. Joe

Thanks to all have opined; especially mc for the load data. I like the PM 40 too (...as well as the Sig 238--- a "real" pocket gun for real small pockets!!!...). I believe i'll try to round one up.

Again,

Many thanks and kind regrds,

Leroy

I know several people who pocket carry the PPS and/or sub compact Glocks with no problems.