My Guns vs. Husband

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always said I will NEVER trade/sell/barter off my first purchase (SA XD9 4" Service). It has become the firearm that sleeps with me, nestled just right under my pillow (I've been told that if you put your firearm under your pillow, the firearm fairy will come and leave you another one, sorta like the tooth fairy), but I digress. Keep your first purchase, esp the .357 since it has a dual function (.357 & .38) so you really have two firearms all wrapped up in one. 9MM are a dime a dozen, wait for the right time grasshopper and then snatch 9MM from the appropriate sellers hand.....

Every, single one of my semiauto pistols would go (with the exception of my Ruger P95 -only because it was a wedding gift) before I'd trade away any of my revolvers unless it was for another revolver. That goes double for my .357. I'd keep the wheelie.

That said, if for some odd reason I could only keep one handgun and it had to be a semiauto, it would likely be that P95 - not only because it was a gift but also because it is such a good pistol. A bit difficult to carry concealed (although I have when the weather allows a roomy enough cover garment) but an all around great 9mm. You can find them used for around $300 or less. Mine is an older one without a rail but the newer models even have a short rail in front of the trigger guard where a weapon light can be attached. If it would be more for HD than to carry, you could certainly do worse.

I still have my first handgun, Ruger Security-Six .357 that I bought 31 years ago. It has over 25 thousand rounds through it ... most of them were .38 special target reloads. I would go out and fire 2-300 rounds in an afternoon and got to be pretty good at it. The low recoil would allow me to have fun with it all afternoon compared to 50 rounds of .357 which was OK but not as fun as snap shooting the .38's. Still feels like an extension of my hand.

Still accurate and still pretty tight ... believe it or not.

I briefly sold it to my brother and bought it back first chance I got. He let it get rusted and it now looks like hell. I still love it and would not trade it for a Kimber Ultra Custom.

Don't sell it ... you will regret it.

Keep it as a heirloom for your daughter! <evilgrin>

Let your husband touch that one! <if he dares!>

Why are you talking about trading YOUR revolver to get HIM a new 9mm?
The 9mm wouldn't be for him. It will be mine - no question. I really don't know what his thinking is about trading - I buy and pay for my guns.
IMHO I would trade the Ruger LCR for a SA XDM 9mm. The reason is the snubbie 357 is far better and concealable. The LCR has terrible sights and recoil.
I really like the LCR for concealed carry. I didn't notice a problem with the sights and the recoil was very manageable. I've fired far worse.

I am not a big fan of 9mm or semi-auto's for that matter. His reasoning is capacity and ease of getting ammunition. Both valid points. My thoughts on 9mm are for another thread.

For HD nothing beats a 12G pump.

Yes! :koolaid:

Edited by Red Haired Girl

Keep the HS .357 it is not worth much on the used market as a Face to face trade and would not get you much in the way of barter with a gun shop. It is a serviceable defense gun if kept in good operating condition. Watch which .357 rounds you use for SD, over penetration can be a problem. In a snubbie followup up shots are worrisom. For me capacity in a snubbie is a concern in a worse case scenario.

Concerning which caliber is best for a home defense gun is sort of a moot point if one cannot quickly acquire the weapon, clearly identify the target, point shoot at night, etc., etc. However, just about anything equal to or greater than .38 will do the job. Modern bullets expand well in most semi-autos. I've owned more .357s that I care to admit, but carry only Glock 9mm for SD. I practice better & more with 9mm. 12 or 20 gauge shotguns reign unchallenged as the best home defense weapon. Shot gun shot selection allows a wide range of home applications, especially limiting collateral damage while destroying the target. Arguing one shot stops between .38/9/.40/.357/.357 Sig/.44/.45 handguns is a waste of breath and energy, especially if you are a good shooter. A well placed shot or group of shots will do a job in any of the aforementioned calibers, but then they are just handgun calibers - "weak sisters" compared to serious long guns or shotguns. Best shooter I know is an Ex-Army, Ex-PD, now FBI agent. He works at shooting and tells me although he works with the 1911 and trusts his, he also has to carry a Glock .40, but his favorite SD pistol is the Glock 19 9mm. He also has a couple of snubbie .38s.

Some interesting reading:

Ballistics by the inch

http://www.supertrap.com/ST_Downloads_files/HandgunStopPower2.pdf

Ammunition and Ballistics at mouseguns.com

Guest boatme99

Many years ago I sold my first handgun. A nice .357. I always regretted it.

I finally found another like it, and although it's a great piece which I will never sell, it just isn't the same.

Keep it!