Small carry Handgun

Guest charlie8584

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep asking myself the same question.

Personally the two I've narrowed my choice down to are the Sig P238 and the Kahr PM9. Most likely I will end up with both of these at some point though even though they're on the higher price end of small handguns.

Others are like you mentioned, also check out the Rohrbaugh R9 and I think lots of folks like the Seecamp 380. Basically do alot of looking around at different gun shops so you can get a good feel for the size comparison as well as weight. Fondle each one and see which one feels the best.

Also I have no experience with them but you may want to read some of the threads here on the Diamondback because some haven't had much luck with them.

Edited by MCSCOTT

There is nothing wrong with the LCP for what it is. I probably would never have it as my only pistol, but it's good light-weight thug repellant. I find myself carrying it alot since the warm weather. It's such a personal choice that it's hard to advise.

There is nothing wrong with the LCP for what it is. I probably would never have it as my only pistol, but it's good light-weight thug repellant. I find myself carrying it alot since the warm weather. It's such a personal choice that it's hard to advise.

I liked my lcp too. My complaint with it is that my thumb would hit the mag eject. So it had to go.

I like the Kel Tec P3AT, it’s light and easy to conceal. I have installed Traction Grips for my large hands and a Belt Clip so I can easily slide it IWB carry, along with the usual magazine extension.

As far as firepower I have recently acquired some Core Bond DPX .380 (look at the spec's on this). An extra magazine.

I liked my lcp too. My complaint with it is that my thumb would hit the mag eject. So it had to go.

I've heard of it, but hasn't happened to me. If I didn't have the finger extension on the mag, I would get rid of it today. It really helps me control the gun.

I love my p238 but I sometimes wonder if it's impractical for pocket carry. It has to be carried "cocked n locked" and it takes a lot of practice before you can quickly draw from a pocket and drop the safety. During an emergency situation I find my self wondering if I will be able to do this.

That being said, unless you don't mind a lot of practice I would look at the Kahr. Ammo is easier to find and cheaper too.

+1 for shoot before you buy. Some of these have major recoil.

of the ones you listed.

LCP

TCP

PF9, very light for a 9mm. Maybe to light.

P3AT

No Diamondback. too many issues.

Others:

Karh is nice, very small and light. Maybe to light.

PPS 9mm. light, small, thin, but heavy enough to shoot all day. I carry mine all day IWB and never notice it.

My vote is for "other"; j frame. I had a NAA 32acp Guardian and it was a great little gun, but I replaced it with a S&W 442 and I love it. I now have the power of a 38 special but can still drop it in my front pocket and go. It's larger for sure, but still very concealable because of it's shape. Just my opinion though! Good luck.

Guest charlie8584

Thanks. This will not be my only gun. I have thought about a light smith wheel gun BUT don't want to spend that much $. Right now I'm fixated on the PF-9....not a lot larger than a lcp, about 50% heavier but 9mmm. I've shot a lcp...10-20 times is enough for sure. This aint a gun to shoot at the range for improving technique. It's for carry protection. Kick is no problem Feel, weight, carrability, and value are the primary concerns.

Thanks. This will not be my only gun. I have thought about a light smith wheel gun BUT don't want to spend that much $. Right now I'm fixated on the PF-9....not a lot larger than a lcp, about 50% heavier but 9mmm. I've shot a lcp...10-20 times is enough for sure. This aint a gun to shoot at the range for improving technique. It's for carry protection. Kick is no problem Feel, weight, carrability, and value are the primary concerns.

The LCP doesn't bother me much. The airweight J frame beats the crap out of me. funny, since my old Model 36 was one of my favorite guns of all time. The airweight is either too light, or i've turned into a wus.

Maybe its the latter. J/K I love my airweight J frame 637. It carries great and shoots fine. If it were a .357, that would be a different story. 38 spl is pretty tame. I vote for the LCP if you gotta go with a .380, but otherwise, I'd find a small 9mm. PM9 or G26.

At one point I had decided to get a PF-9 but changed my mind for two reasons: 1) I can't get over the poor fit & finish of Kel-Tec. 2) When I put it in my pocket it wasn't that much smaller than my 26 and the whole point of getting something smaller was to find something that pocket carry in any pants. I was really against .380 because of ammo availibility, but, like you said, it's not a range gun. Finally, the PF-9 was too close in size to my Glock 26 and just enough bigger than the LCP to make it a little less "pocketable". I can carry my Glock 19 with a jacket or loose-fitting untucked shirt. I can carry my 26 almost any other time, and the LCP is for the exceptions. Heck, it could probably be clipped inside your underoos if you tried. Since it's not a primary, I decided the ammo isn't a dealbreaker to get something that will carry anywhere (that HCP is allowed of course).

Edited by JReedEsq

After reading the article in the American Rifleman a couple of months back, I was reminded why I am no fan of the .380. I have no use for a pistol that I have to "break in" before I carry it. If it isn't ready to go out of the box, I don't want it. I've had exactly one .380 auto that did not jam and that was a SIG P230. And that was the meanest kicking pistol I ever owned. Got rid if it after a year. I don't consider myself a wus either, has I regularly shoot a Springfield 1911a1 in .45acp.

Currently the pistol I carry the most is an old Gen 2 Colt Agent in .38spl. Wonderful pistol, goes bang when the trigger is pulled and is plenty accurate. Why this pistol and not a Smith? Because it weights in at 16 oz and holds 6 rounds instead of 5. But I be comfortable with a S&W J-Frame, Taurus, Ruger or any other small modern revolver.

All that said, find the pistol that best suits you, buy it, shoot it often and enjoy it!

Ok, everyone stand back! Fat man coming down off his soapbox now!!!

Edited by Moped