Is bigger really better?

Guest preacher

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Glock23ForMe

I carry a Glock 23 .40 cal daily, unless I'm going to campus.

I chose the .40 because I'd shot a lot of 9mm and liked them, but liked the .40 better... IDK why. I was (am) going to get a Glock .45, hopefully the Glock 36 :up:, but the ammo is so darn hard to find.

Guest Oaklands

Go to a range. You are close enough to go over to Sevier Indoor Range. Pick up some guns, see how they feel in your hand. Ask to rent a couple of guns and fire them.

You are only going to be good with what you like best. I like another person who answered you, am very fond of 1911's. I also recently traded for a very nice Sig P229 in .40 S&W. I plan on carrying it as well.

40's are odd creatures. A bunch of us got together to shoot and the guys property we were on had a Glock (model ???) in a .40 S&W. He shot mine and his and I did the same. Everyone of us who shot both guns loved the Sig way more than the Glock. You could get back on target much faster.

Go with what feels right to you.

A 9mm FMJ might be good for paper, but I'm willing to bet the damage from a JHP like a Gold Dot or a HydraShok is going to be significant. Sorry but if that a##hole at VA Tech could waste all those people with a .22...just saying.

22 of those murders were committed using a 9mm (Glock 19).

Guest Jamie

Bigger is only better if you can shoot it well, conceal it well... and will carry it.

If it don't meet those qualifications, but something smaller does... then bigger ain't better.

J.

I hate to say it, but I'd rather have a Taurus than a Walther.

Don't be ashamed to say it! There are a lot of good, even great Taurus products out there that are reliably carried and used for edc and home defense; some guys are just possibly too brainwashed to admit it. My first full-time edc was a Milpro in .45 and was an excellent weapon. Granted, I bought for the low price then, and have graduated to more expensive guns in later years, but I still feel safe in taking it out anywhere.

I personally like the 45acp cartridge. I sometimes carry a little Glock 36 that holds 6+1 rounds or 7+1. I use the latest hi-tech zombie killing 230gr JHPs. I can hit targets well at self defense distances. I'm by no means a 45 caliber snob. My favorite carry gun is my Smith and Wesson Cheif's Special with a 3" barrel, shooting 38sp standard pressure loads. I can also shoot this gun well. I kinda like wheel guns for some reason.

Guest TnRebel
Don't be ashamed to say it! There are a lot of good, even great Taurus products out there that are reliably carried and used for edc and home defense; some guys are just possibly too brainwashed to admit it. My first full-time edc was a Milpro in .45 and was an excellent weapon. Granted, I bought for the low price then, and have graduated to more expensive guns in later years, but I still feel safe in taking it out anywhere.

117d8gp.gif96ibv8.gif

Guest cheez

The 9mm would be the best choice for your first gun. IMHO

The 380 is ok I guess but you simply have little to no room for error. In a stressful situation like defending yourself there will be errors. Especially if someone is shooting at you.

Guest jrhbb

I carry a Sig P220 .45acp. It is pretty big and sometimes cumbersome to carry but I can shoot the ***** out of it. It just feels good in my hand. Plus I like knowing that it has some knock down power plus it's size is intimidating . I had a guy come into my shop before Christmas. I could tell he was on pills before he came in. As soon as he walked through the door he pulled a ski mask down. I asked him four times to take it off, each time telling him I had a sidearm. The fifth time I put the gun in his face and the ski mask practically jumped off. He hasn't been back. I think it's whatever your comfortable with and whatever "feels right".

I used to buy in to the ".380 in your pocket is better than the .45 you left at home" thinking (akin to "anything is better than nothing"). Then I started reading and studying the issue.

Anything that penetrates less than 12" in ballistic testing I consider inadequate as either a primary or backup weapon.

Either you are committed to carry or you are not. Either you are committed to doing what it takes to protect yourself and your loved ones or you are not. If you are not, that's perfectly fine; that's why we all have freedom of choice.

At one time the pocket autos in .22, .25, .32 and .380 were the only thing available. But with the increasing number of reliable, accurate, pocket sized service-caliber weapons on the market, there simply is no reason to carry a mousegun caliber anymore. And once you start exploring the many options for carry, you will quickly discover just how easy it is to conceal a medium to full size weapon. You might have to alter your dress a bit, but isn't your life worth making a few changes in your daily routine?

If you want to carry a mousegun caliber, that's your choice. I would rather make a few sacrifices and increase my chances of survival.

I used to buy in to the ".380 in your pocket is better than the .45 you left at home" thinking (akin to "anything is better than nothing"). Then I started reading and studying the issue.

Anything that penetrates less than 12" in ballistic testing I consider inadequate as either a primary or backup weapon.

Either you are committed to carry or you are not. Either you are committed to doing what it takes to protect yourself and your loved ones or you are not. If you are not, that's perfectly fine; that's why we all have freedom of choice.

At one time the pocket autos in .22, .25, .32 and .380 were the only thing available. But with the increasing number of reliable, accurate, pocket sized service-caliber weapons on the market, there simply is no reason to carry a mousegun caliber anymore. And once you start exploring the many options for carry, you will quickly discover just how easy it is to conceal a medium to full size weapon. You might have to alter your dress a bit, but isn't your life worth making a few changes in your daily routine?

If you want to carry a mousegun caliber, that's your choice. I would rather make a few sacrifices and increase my chances of survival.

While I mostly agree whith you, there are a few things that maybe need to be refined. Here's a rundown of the loads that Marshall and Sanow (who I generally consider to be the best experts on such things)found to be the best in various calibers. Note that some really effective loads get less than 12" penetration, most notably the .357 mag in 125gr (the king of them all). Read and enjoy (this page is also interactive).

Stopping Power

Interesting that the .22 CCI Stinger rates that high.

I have stated several times that a well placed shot with a .22 is much more effective than what people give it credit.

Look at statistics all you want, if a bullet dumps all of its energy in 7 inches with consequential tissue damage, it will stop a threat.

I have stated several times that a well placed shot with a .22 is much more effective than what people give it credit.

Look at statistics all you want, if a bullet dumps all of its energy in 7 inches with consequential tissue damage, it will stop a threat.

What I find interesting is, although the data is there, how many "gun people" don't know about it and subsequently carry inferior loads in their weapons. I knew this data existed for a long time but couldn't find a link until recently, I just had a hard copy. I wish I had it earlier because of a discussion I had with one of the mods.

Unfortunately, the ammo manufacturers really don't want this data to be readily available because it would hurt the sale of their newest "whiz bang" loads. Of course, this is purely speculation.

The only problem with the well placed shot theory is that one loses his fine motor skills in a defensive shooting situation, therefore placement of shots becomes very difficult.

And like it or not, the data does indicate the relative effectiveness of various calibers.

.22 firearms are cheap to shoot and practice is more likely with an owner.

Instinctive shooting becomes more probable with consistent use.

If I haven't shot for a while, I pick up the Buckmark and put a couple of hundred rounds through it before I use my bigger calibers. It points and feels a lot like a 1911 so there is hardly any transistion to the .45 except for recoil.

These are just my thoughts and are not intended to dispute or deny anyone else's thoughts or experiences. I do not have any experience with 'real world' shootings and do not pretend to be qualified to advise others. These are merely the thoughts/ideas/opinions that influence my own choices:

My belief is that the vast majority of assailants I am likely to face have a few things in common with the vast majority of humanity, in general - they don't want to leak, don't want holes in their hide and they will not enjoy having any size or weight of a foreign material (lead/copper) injected into their body. Sure, there may be angry, roving male silverback gorillas on crack out there but if a couple of COM shots from a 9mm or even a .380 won't change their minds, how likely is it that anything short of a 12 gauge will do so?

I am a pretty big guy - 5' 11" and right at 300 pounds. Pretty big, heck, let's face it - I'm fat. At the thickest part of my torso, however, 12 inches of penetration front to back would still be all the way through (yes, I've measured.) Even from the side, 12 inches would be nearly all the way through at the widest point. If shooting through my right arm, it might take 12 inches to reach my heart but even five or six inches would be a lung shot. Of course, I realize that bone, etc. is going to interfere but how the heck big would someone have to be that their vitals would be 12 inches deep in their body, even shooting from the side through the upper arm?

That said, I rarely carry my P3AT as my primary - it is usually backing up a 9mm or a revolver loaded with .357 or .38 ammo, depending on where I am going. Also, part of the reason I like Federal Hydrashoks for my P3AT is that various tests I have seen indicate that they do consistently give 11.5 to 12 inches of penetration in gel while also giving consistent (although perhaps not massive) expansion. I just wish I could find some more HS right now - I'm almost beginning to wonder if Federal is even making the darned things in .380, any more. To me, if a smaller caliber is going to be a carry weapon then ammo selection becomes ever more important and variance in performance of different brands/types of ammo increases as the caliber size decreases.