Tennessee Senate Overrides Restaurant Carry Veto

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep an extra 500 bucks in your checking account. Don't worry, be happy.
And I get to keep my permit? No questions asked?

Remains to be seen.

If there were to be a rash of close enforcement, who knows, they could start pulling permits under the "poses a material risk" clause.

It's the reason I was one of the few that felt Kwik's permit shouldn't have been pulled. After all, he broke NO carry laws and they jerked his under that clause, and yet carrying past a sign IS breaking a carry law.

- OS

Doesn't it have to wait 24 hours?

After the notice was read by the clerk, the clerk said that it would be taken up in Unfinished Business on the next legislative day. And from what I've seen, no one argues with the clerk.

After the notice was read by the clerk, the clerk said that it would be taken up in Unfinished Business on the next legislative day. And from what I've seen, no one argues with the clerk.

I agree the clerk is probably the smartest person in the chamber....but the rule everyone has posted says "24 hours" not "the next legislative day".

Guess we'll find out soon enough though..

Guest HexHead
I agree the clerk is probably the smartest person in the chamber....but the rule everyone has posted says "24 hours" not "the next legislative day".

Guess we'll find out soon enough though..

I can see it now, they'll bring it up today, maybe even this morning and that douche bag Odum will object that it hasn't been 24 hours, and it will get delayed again.

I have been too busy to keep up with this for a couple of days, but it looks like I haven't missed out on too much!

What time was the notice given yesterday? Maybe it will be another long, drawn-out legislative day again today. Maybe I'll watch this time, but I haven't seen the Honey-Do-List yet :)

Why is 24 hours an issue if they suspended the rules or if its the last legislative day?

Well apparently they haven't/can't suspended the rules blanketly...

From post 366

Okay, now I'm really getting pissed off. They just received a joint senate resolution and they suspended the rules to vote on it, to recognize the mother of the mayor of Knox county. This they can do, but can't fit in the ****ing gun bill??????

If the rules were suspended until further notice, or something like that, then why would it have been necessary to suspend them for the above resolution?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is like I said before that they can only suspended them for a certain action.

Guest HexHead
Well apparently they haven't/can't suspended the rules blanketly...

From post 366

If the rules were suspended until further notice, or something like that, then why would it have been necessary to suspend them for the above resolution?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is like I said before that they can only suspended them for a certain action.

There was no vote to suspend the rules for that "bill", they just said they were suspending the rules. Sure appears that there are no rules.

There was no vote to suspend the rules for that "bill", they just said they were suspending the rules. Sure appears that there are no rules.

I've seen that done many times..."Without objection the motion to suspend the rules prevails...." ...and then when no one objects the rules are suspended.

Ok here is the rule on suspeneding the rules... (House Rules - TN General Assembly)

74. CHANGE AND SUSPENSION OF RULES. The rules of the House may be altered, amended, or suspended by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the members to which the House is entitled; a motion to alter or amend, but not suspend, the rules shall in all cases lie over one (1) day. This rule (Rule 74) may not be suspended on motion to alter, amend, or suspend the rules. A motion to suspend the rules shall be for a stated purpose and subsequent suspension of the rules shall be limited to that stated purpose.

It would seem the last sentence is just like I said.... If a suspension of the rules was needed to vote on the override a motion to suspended them for that specific purpose would have to be made.

This is nothing new to us but I thought I would post it for all who don't get them. It is an alert from NRAILA. It just came in.

Tennessee House Expected to Address Veto Override As Early As Today, June 4.

Late Thursday, June 3, the Tennessee State House in accordance with the adopted rules, received the proper notice from the Senate regarding Governor Phil Bredesen’s (D) veto of Senate Bill 3012. As a result, the House can now consider overriding the Governor’s veto during the unfinished business portion of the House Calendar as early as today, June 4.

Sponsored by State Senator Doug Jackson (D-25) and State Representative Curry Todd (R-95), SB 3012 would allow a person who has a valid right-to-carry permit to carry a firearm for self-defense in restaurants where alcohol may be served, as long as the permit holder is not consuming alcohol or is not otherwise prohibited by posting provisions.

The Tennessee General Assembly's 2010 Session is expected to adjourn Saturday, June 5.

Ok here is the rule on suspeneding the rules... (House Rules - TN General Assembly)

This link also answers another question: in the House, Unfinished Business is taken up after all the Calendars are addressed, as one of the last orders of business of the day. This differs from the Senate, where UB is usually among the first orders of business, taken up before the Calendars.

So bring a lawn chair and a good book...this may take a while.

This link also answers another question: in the House, Unfinished Business is taken up after all the Calendars are addressed, as one of the last orders of business of the day. This differs from the Senate, where UB is usually among the first orders of business, taken up before the Calendars.

So bring a lawn chair and a good book...this may take a while.

Yep...

Consent calendar....all bills done at once (at least)

Message Calendar....39 Bills

Regular Calendar 1...66 Bills

Regular Calendar 2... 1 Bill

Regular Calendar 3... 3 Bills

So at least 109 bills in the calendars to vote on first...if done in that order, but who knows.......

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Im at work and might have missed it - did the message calendar already get done? I don't see HB3125 on any of the remaining calendars.