First revolver... Tips?

Guest nosnos

Guest nosnos

Just got my first revolver. I think I like it. Anything wrong with just throwing it in my pocket, or do I really need a holster? Trigger is pretty stout. Any other tips for a new owner of a revolver.

shared_photo.jpg

Trying to add the picture using my Droid. Tricky.

Edited by nosnos
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Billetproof

Looks like a S&W 442 38 special j-frame. I have a 638, a 340ct, & a 340PDct (on layaway). I like my in the pocket holster, it is nylon on the outside with a strip on it with rubber woven in it and velour on the inside. It keeps the pistol riding in the right position in my pocket, without it sometime the pistol turns with the grip pointing down. It also helps protect the finish because the gun isn't moving around and helps disquise its shape in my pocket. The trigger on most DOA guns are gonna be stiff, especially ones that get carried in pockets allot, safety reasons. Crimson Trace grips are a good additions to these guns, if you like them. If not a trijicon big dot front sight blade is another good addition.It is a great summer carry gun, enjoy it.:D

Guest oldsmobile98

First: congrats!!

Cleaning is a bit different. On a swing-out revolver, you have to clean the bore from the muzzle end, so be extra careful not to ding the crown. I bought one of these to help me with that.

I would recommend a holster, or maybe something like the Hip Grip.

With a J-Frame, you have 5 shots, which will likely be enough for a self-defense shooting, but you have to keep in mind that you DO have less shots before you have to reload. Carry good self-defense ammo and make every shot count. There are speedloaders available also.

A great resource I've seen is Michael de Bethencourt's training site. He focuses exclusively on the snubnose revolver.

Hope this helps.

Edited by oldsmobile98
Garufa trounced me

The 442 is a great gun.

You need a holster simply to keep the gun straight in your pocket. Check out a Desantis Nemesis for that.

There's no improving the sights without major work, nor is it needed. This gun has fixed sights, no pins, blades or whatever involved.

Remember it is not a range gun and is somewhat difficult to learn to shoot accuratly, but it is actually very accurate. It took me a while with mine to learn not to hold on too tight. Keep a relaxed grip.

The trigger pull will smooth out after a while but still remain stout.

Edited by Garufa
Guest oldsmobile98
This gun has fixed sights, no pins, blades or whatever involved.

Checked out the S&W catalog. Garufa is right on this. I'll edit my earlier post.

Moral of the story: Trust the advice of the guy who actually owns the gun. :P

The 442 is a great gun.

You need a holster simply to keep the gun straight in your pocket. Check out a Desantis Nemesis for that.

Agree. The Nemesis is great (the inside is slick while the ouside is tacky, meaning that drawing is easy and leaves the holster in the pocket). I keep my J-frame in it in one pocket with a couple loaded Bianchi Speed strips in the other.

Agree. The Nemesis is great (the inside is slick while the ouside is tacky, meaning that drawing is easy and leaves the holster in the pocket)...

Nemesis is okay, but a Kydex will be thinner.

IMO, for pocket carry, the thinner the better.

- OS

http://www.brassfetcher.com/158%20grain%20+P%20lead%20HP%20(test%202).html

You are going to get a lot of advice. For a revolver that size and weight I say practice as much as you can. You will be suprised how accurate a DA only snubbie can be. I did work on a gun exactly like that for an FBI agent. I enjoy revolvers of every size but don't carry them. I find Keltec .32s and Glock 9mms just as reliable and easier to shoot fast and well.

I recommend using 3X5 cards with a 1" dot in the middle as target at 10 yards maximum. You should be able to shoot the 1" dot out with 5 shots.

Mount multiple 3x5 cards on your target backstop, number them and shoot patterns or random number selections. Have someone call out the numbers.

Use two hands at first. Then use both left and right hand one-handed. Cant the pistol slightly inward when shooting one-handed. Keep both eyes open at all times. This is not a bullseye handgun. This is a save your .... when everything else you have done has failed, including running away. If you have to use this gun you have chosen the wrong geography, occupation, have the wrong attitude or have achieved that thing most of us hope to avoid - that one random act. In any case shoot fast, often and keep both eyes open.

Craig

Guest nosnos

If I'm carrying in my pocket nothing else is going to be riding along in there with it. No coins or pens or anything. Ill have to look into some of the kydex options.

You guys are great. Thanks for the input and comments. Even the stupid ones. You know who you are. :rolleyes: It makes a new gun even more fun to hear such positive things about it.

In this humidity, is moisture in my pocket bad on the gun? Should I clean it more frequently?

In this humidity, is moisture in my pocket bad on the gun? Should I clean it more frequently?

YOUR humidity is pretty important on finish if you sweat through pocket.

Salt water, ya know.

Another reason to use a holster. :rolleyes:

- OS

Guest Straight Shooter

As for cleaning..I use the Glock all polymer rod, and then whatever brass/bronze/nylon brush is appropriate. I love those things. I clean all my handguns with them. They can do no harm at all to muzzles & crowns. They are like 4 bucks last I checked.

Congratulations, I have some similar guns and they are a pleasure to carry. The only thing I might add is to check out some speed strips to carry extra ammo. They are made by Desantis and Tuff Products. You can do a search on Youtube and find speed strips...there is even a Masad Ayoob video somewhere on the internet that shows how to reload with the speed strips. They lay flat in your pocket. There are a couple of pocket holsters that will hold speed strips along with your gun - one of them is at the Tuff Products website...I have one made by Simply Rugged holsters. Good luck - you will love to carry that gun. B

Some good advice has been given above. As graycrait said, practice a lot with the appropriate training drills for the gun. Regarding holsters, you will find it will boil down to personal preference. Some like Kydex as noted above. For me, I prefer just a cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster, you can pick them up for around $10 bucks. You can find these locally so the following Midway link is for reference. Uncle Mike's Inside-the-Pocket Holster Ambidextrous 5-Round Revolver, Medium Frame Semi-Automatic 2" Barrel 4-Layer Laminate Black - MidwayUSA

It's the soft style and has proven to be more comfortable for me and conforms to my body better. If you find for some reason that pocket carry won't work at times, you can use other carry options. For example if I'm going to be mainly sitting or driving for a long time, I'll go with ankle carry. I also have IWB and OWB ones if the situation requires it.

I carry two speed strips in a pouch as well. If you go that route I would suggest you get some dummy rounds to practice reloading. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=444108

Good luck and enjoy!

Edited by Trekbike
I prefer just a cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster, you can pick them up for around $10 bucks.

I make holsters, and this is what I use for pocket carry.

Shoot it often, until you can hit with it. It will be more accurate than you'll be able to take advantage of. Pick up a couple of Bianchi Speed Strips and you'll be good to go. As for cleaning, wipe it off with an oily cloth. You really don't need to clean the barrel or chambers all that often. If you have a gunsmith that is knowlegeable about S&W wheel guns, take it to him and let him slick up the action for you. If you have a bit of mechanical ability, you can do it yourself. I'd also remove the lock and plug the lock hole.

I recommend using 3X5 cards with a 1" dot in the middle as target at 10 yards maximum. You should be able to shoot the 1" dot out with 5 shots.

I am serious. I will drive to Clarksville to watch you do this. If you can shoot a 1†circle out of a 3X5 card at 30 feet with a 2†J-frame without sights, in 5 shots; I need to learn from you.

I am serious. I will drive to Clarksville to watch you do this. If you can shoot a 1†circle out of a 3X5 card at 30 feet with a 2†J-frame without sights, in 5 shots; I need to learn from you.

With sufficient practice, I don't see why this could not be done.

With sufficient practice, I don't see why this could not be done.

Ha! For me, its because I'm getting old and glasses can only help so much...my 13 year old son might be able to do something like that...I love shooting, but wish I could see better...

I can't, but I believe the revolver is capable.

I have one and I don’t think it is.

I’m not trying to be a smart azz (this time:D) I’m being honest, I would truly be amazed and have great respect for anyone that could do that.

I wouldn’t bet money Jerry Miculek could do it.

See for yourself. A short barrel doesn't reduce accuracy. The short sighting plane makes accuracy more difficult, but a short barrel is stiffer than a long one, reducing vibrations, and theoretically making better accuracy possible. S&W revolvers are very accurate.