Starting to consider 1st Hand Gun purchase

vontar

Starting to consider 1st Hand Gun purchase.

Don't get me wrong. My dad has several that I am allowed to borrow at anytime, plus I have a 38 spiecal. I am considering the first time walking in a gun shop, picking out the gun, signing the papers and walking out with one totally in my own name.

Ok, I know I am asking for it, try not to burn me up.

1. Don't slam me with ofters yet, I am not ready to buy yet. Probably 2

months away from buying. Going to get HCP first.

2. I am looking for a 22 for target practice.

3. I want a 22 so I can go to the range and fire 200 rounds and not

worry about the price of bullets.

I am considering buying a relative cheap 22 pistol (new).

I am considering a 22 Ruger, 22/45 Mark III with 5.5" bull barrel

Probably the solid black one, P512MKIII, that retails about 307.

I dont' want the stainless steal barrel.

Like the one pictured at

Ruger MK III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would like opinions on it, and I would be open to hearing about similar pistols by other brands in the same price range.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ruger Mark III is one of the best .22 pistols made. It will last forever. They are notoriuosly hard to dissassemble and even harder to reassemble. Once you learn to do it .......it's still a pain. I love mine!

Starting to consider 1st Hand Gun purchase.

Don't get me wrong. My dad has several that I am allowed to borrow at anytime, plus I have a 38 spiecal. I am considering the first time walking in a gun shop, picking out the gun, signing the papers and walking out with one totally in my own name.

Ok, I know I am asking for it, try not to burn me up.

1. Don't slam me with ofters yet, I am not ready to buy yet. Probably 2

months away from buying. Going to get HCP first.

2. I am looking for a 22 for target practice.

3. I want a 22 so I can go to the range and fire 200 rounds and not

worry about the price of bullets.

I am considering buying a relative cheap 22 pistol (new).

I am considering a 22 Ruger, 22/45 Mark III with 5.5" bull barrel

Probably the solid black one, P512MKIII, that retails about 307.

I dont' want the stainless steal barrel.

Like the one pictured at

Ruger MK III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would like opinions on it, and I would be open to hearing about similar pistols by other brands in the same price range.

The Ruger Mark IIIs and 22/45s are very good pistols, as are the Browning Buckmarks(and several others). I would advise going to a shop and holding several different models to see what feels right to you. As for waiting until after you get your HCP to purchase a handgun, unless it is for monetary reasons why wait? Getting a handgun that you intend to carry before you actually want to start carrying it will give you time to get more familiar with it and to get more practice with it. It will also give you time to order a holster as lead times on holsters, depending on what you want, can be quite long.

Well, there are some monetary reasons. I was in a shop and held a 22 Mark III about a month ago.

I was about to take my HCP about this time last year and my wife lost her job, got laid off. So I had to put a few things on the back burner. She is working again, so I am taking small steps again.

Step 1. HCP.

Step 2. will be a New Pistol, However, over the past year been using Dads Mark 1, to practice with off and on. Not the most accurate as I don't like the rear sights on it, but I am shooting it good enough to pass the test.

I figure One month I will buy the Class+HCP, and the following month the new pistol.

Then a bit later on, a bit better carry pistol.

I figure One month I will buy the Class+HCP, and the following month the new pistol.

Then a bit later on, a bit better carry pistol.

Nothing wrong with that, but if you intend to use the first gun you purchase on your own as a carry weapon, I would not buy the .22 first. Great gun, but it's not an ideal self defense caliber, and the Ruger Mark III 22/45 has a few features that I would not want on a carry weapon.

I'm not sure any holster makers offer a concealable holster for the Ruger, actually.

Like Vontar, I had picked out the Ruger, 22/45 Mark III with 5.5" bull barrel, but kept being drawn toward the Walther. After much deliberation, I went with the Walther and am glad I did. But still, the Ruger has a great reputation, nice target piece. You will like it, except for the cleaning routine.

I don't plan on this being a self defense weapon. Like I said this would mainly be my range target.

At my home I have my 38 spiecal, that I could also carry while driving/etc once I get my HCP.

Also, this 22 would be what I plan to use to help get my wife to learn to shoot with, as she has expressed some interst in learning to shoot. I need something that won't scare her and turn off off the idea with the first shot.

I have a Ruger Mark III and it's an excelent choice for a range gun. Practice with the 22 will improve your ability with other handguns as well. The 38 special is an excellent carry gun. Keep shooting.

Rugers are great. If you're looking for a good alternative, though, the Beretta Neos gets my pick. It's cheap, mags are cheap, it's dead solid reliable and it's much easier to take down and put back together than a Ruger.

Another option is a .22 revolver, especially if you're planning on using the .38 for some time to come. Taurus Tracker might fit the bill nicely.

One thing, I know Dad has had his 22 Mark 1 as long as he has had me, about 35 years. He used to work around open pit coal mines, had battery acid spillled on it.

The acid took to the bluing like a fat kid to cake.

In the past year, I know I have personally put over 1000 rounds though it and just last week, i had one bullet mis-fired. It was probably the bullet.

Dad and I checked the bullet, it had been hit plenty hard, loaded it back and it fired second try.

Guest TNTgill

My dad bought me a Ruger 22/45 about 11 years ago and it still works great. I let my mom use it for shooting at dogs and coyotes that like to get into the cows and stuff and she got it extremely dirty. So dirty in fact it wouldn't return to battery. A little cleaning (actually a lot of scrubbing) and it works just as good as new. I used to be able to pick a squirrel out the top of old oak trees with this little pistol. I loved it and you will too if you decide to get one. I would definately recommend it and congrats on getting your wife to shoot. My girlfriend loves my GSG5 rifle and has shot the Ruger 22/45 and liked it too.

Guest tlondon

The Ruger mark series are fine weapons. But as mentioned above, the beretta neos U22 is also a fine weapon and somewhat cheaper price wise. I have put over 1000 rounds through mine and have had no gun related isues (even when its dirty). To me the Beretta feels better and seems to be a more natural pointer. Thats just my 2cents......But as I said the rugers are great guns. You cant go wrong with either one

What kind of 38 do you have? You could probably find a similar size revolver in 22LR. Would make a great trainer piece. Maybe not as accurate, but the ones I've shot were plenty accurate for me.

Even though I own a Mark III and love it. It is heavy. I shot a Browning 22 target pistol at the range. It was light as a feather. The old dude shooting it was a competition shooter and that was the pistol he used.

I've been thinking about getting a cheap little .22 for plinking purposes myself. All I've got now is a .45 and it'd be nice to pay less then 50 cents a round for FMJ. I've always thought the Beretta Neos looked cool, but I do feel having a gun that is difficult to disassemble and reassemble will make you appreciate it more.