Someone talk me out of getting rid of my AK

Okay, I want to like the AK, but I just don't like the way it handles. I really don't want this thread to get into the AR vs. AK debate, but maybe I'm just too accustomed to the AR. I'm hoping someone can explain these problems to me or help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

My biggest complaint is the mag release. The mag release level is difficult to use. I even bought one of those "tactical mag release" gizmos, but it doesn't help much. Slapping the level with a 2nd mag is a lot more difficult than the button I'm used to on an AR. Also, even when I engage the mag release lever, none of my mags fall out without either hitting it with another mag or pulling on it. As a result, that "tactical" gizmo doesn't help.

Again, I want to like it. Having a larger caliber is great. Just don't know about the handling.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have asked myself the same question many times and come back to the same conclusion during every one of my inner dialogues. I have and don't like both the AR or AK. The typical AK platform was designed for a midget but is mighty reliable and fires a powerful round. The AR is too complicated and throws out a little 22 bullet with a little better accuracy.

If it was a SHTF gun, I'd keep the AK. If you're looking to accessorize and be the coolest kid on the block keep the AR. If you're looking long term after SHTF, then 223 rounds will be much more available. You decide.

But, if your only problem is the mag release, talk to some 10/22 shooters. :rolleyes:

Magazine insertion and removal on AK's does suck. Try practicing inserting and removing an empty mag an hour a night while you watch television. It may help you get accustomed. I have an SKS. No mags, it loads from the top using stripper clips. That took some getting used to and the clips bite also. Rounds fall out of the clips. That being said, if you can't handle it well enough for your liking I'd get something else. I don't blame you because I would.

Guest mikedwood

You have to whack the mag with another to get it to release? Dremel the mag chamber out a bit (tad) more. That's what they did to begin with.

You have to whack the mag with another to get it to release? Dremel the mag chamber out a bit (tad) more. That's what they did to begin with.

So, the mag SHOULD drop freely when the mag release lever is pushed forward? I thought about using a dremel, but thought that might be too much.

Guest GunTroll

Do it. A little slop is what is probably needed. Don't go crazy with it though! But then again if you botch it I believe there are already people who said they would take it. If thats your complaints then I would say keep it. Those problems can be fixed....easily!

AK all the way!

Guest GunTroll

Also I like your disclaimer. Guess thats why your the lawyer right!?

Perhaps I should copy & paste that but put my own twist on it.

It's just a matter of technique. As you know the AK rocks into place and it should only take a little bump on the bottom of the mag to get it to fall. It is definitely different than an AR mag change in nearly every aspect. I actually like the AK method a little better for a variety of reasons. One if an AR mag doesn't drop free due to dirt or some other factor it is more work than an AK to get back into action. Second, the AK method is fool proof and works every time. Third, AR mags are "fragile". Dumping them on the ground is liable to break something important. With the AK mag you just pick it up and go, It'll work. The only real drawback, in ideal settings, is a little more gun movement with the AK than AR. In combat I'd say the advantage goes to the AK. For range or light shooting the AR is easier.

Bottom line is it is just a different technique. If you were an AR trained guy, it'll take a little more to get used to.

BTW - I think the AK mag release gizmos slow down proper mag change procedure. Hit the lever, bump, rock, and shoot.

So, the mag SHOULD drop freely when the mag release lever is pushed forward?

Nope. I've never seen any that will do this. It's all in the technique. There are many videos on youtube showing you how to use the fresh mag to hit the mag release lever and then sweep the old one out in one motion. Most also give tips on quick ways to then activate the charging handle.

There is absolutely no reason to sell your AK for the mag change difficulty you are experiencing. Practice, practice, practice.

Edited by Trekbike

Don't buy any extra gizmos for the AK they run fine the way they are. Slapping the empty mag with the charged mag is the easiest way but it does take some practice. I know you ran an AR in the CIS class but don't try and run your AK the same way. Both are great platforms but have nothing to do with each other for the most part. If you need some pointers let me know, I'm always looking for a reason to go shoot.