M1 Garand from CMP

Guest WWIIfanatic

Guest WWIIfanatic

I am planning on buying an M1 Garand from the CMP, but my brother said that you would not want to buy a rifle from another state, because of legal issues. i just wanted to know if i (my dad) could go to CMP south and purchase an M1 then just drive back up here to TN. I'm really hoping to start collecting WWII militaria and firearms and want to start with an M1.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Service Grades are far and away the best deal going in firearms right now. I got mine a couple of months ago and it was beautiful. Great shape and right at a month wait time. Unfortunately, they haven't had much in the stores lately worth looking at. I highly recommend mail ordering a Service grade.

However, if you are set on driving down and back, then you have no legal problems.

ok thanks now i have to get a job...

Yeah, that would help. I prefer driving down to pick one up. You get to look them over and check them for muzzle wear and throat erosion. Mine has a nearly new barrel and is in superb overall shape.

Things a WWIIfantatic should look for:

Only Springfield Armory and Winchester made M1 Garands during WWII. Winchester ceased production at the end of the war but Springfield Armory continued on until 1958 or so. Springfields below approx serial number 3,800,000 are WWII era.

Almost all CMP rifles are mix masters. You might be able to get a WWII receiver but the barrel may be from the 50's or even have parts from International Harvester or Harrington and Richardson who also produced them during the Korean War era. Not really a big deal as almost ALL were rearsenaled at some point. A "newer" 50's barrel is acutally kind of a good thing as they will usually be in much better condition. One other thing to note is the trigger guards, WWII era guards are milled and have a large hole to the rear, later one's are stamped and do not have that.

Just some things to think about and what you can expect (and ask for) from CMP. ;)

Most people are happy to have one, regardless of the parts and dates. I know I am.

The Service Grades are far and away the best deal going in firearms right now. I got mine a couple of months ago and it was beautiful. Great shape and right at a month wait time. Unfortunately, they haven't had much in the stores lately worth looking at. I highly recommend mail ordering a Service grade.

However, if you are set on driving down and back, then you have no legal problems.

+1

Drove down and handpicked mine out. It is one of the best deals going.

Guest FroggyOne2
Things a WWIIfantatic should look for:

Only Springfield Armory and Winchester made M1 Garands during WWII. Winchester ceased production at the end of the war but Springfield Armory continued on until 1958 or so. Springfields below approx serial number 3,800,000 are WWII era.

Almost all CMP rifles are mix masters. You might be able to get a WWII receiver but the barrel may be from the 50's or even have parts from International Harvester or Harrington and Richardson who also produced them during the Korean War era. Not really a big deal as almost ALL were rearsenaled at some point. A "newer" 50's barrel is acutally kind of a good thing as they will usually be in much better condition. One other thing to note is the trigger guards, WWII era guards are milled and have a large hole to the rear, later one's are stamped and do not have that.

Just some things to think about and what you can expect (and ask for) from CMP. ;)

Most people are happy to have one, regardless of the parts and dates. I know I am.

Winchesters were the worst of the ones made back then.. they are the most collectable.. but they were the worst made.

ok thanks now i have to get a job...

At 15 that may be harder than buying a Garand from CMP. :D

CMP is the government; they don’t play by the same rules everyone else has to go by. They will ship rifles right to your door… even if you live in California. All you have to do is meet the requirements.

But I went to Anniston, AL and handpicked mine. ;)

Guest FroggyOne2

Actually.. the CMP is a private org. When the Gooberment was involved.. it was the DCM, which stood for "The Office of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship".

If you live in TN and want a Garand take a day off work and drive to Anniston. It is worth your trip. I think I picked up every service grade M1 there on both of my trips. I have two CMP Garands, my brother has two, and my Dad has 4. And we bought all the ammo we could fit in the truck with us both times. The CMP guns are the best deal going in the gun business.

Guest WWIIfanatic

i used to mow grass but i stopped because the person i used to mow for quit paying me and ended up owing me like $100. i just applied for a job at Publix Grocers and will probably follow up on them on monday.

Guest WWIIfanatic

yea but i...

A. dont want to wait about 6 weeks for rifle to come when i could take 4 hours and drive down there pick out the perfect one, than gamble on one they give me.

B. im in my high school marching band and one of the seniors left this past season and he worked at Publix so i probably could stand a good chance at getting a job at Publix. its just waiting for the money to pile up enough.

PS also im kinda living in a mental hell because ive been thinking about this since May and every night i go to bed thinking about Garands. They are such a beautiful and innovative rifle. i will probably post pictures in the "show and tell" section.

The problem with driving down is that they aren't putting out their best rifles anymore. Go to the CMP forums and look at the store reports. Lately, they haven't had any service grades in the stores and the field grades have looked more like rack grades.

Guest WWIIfanatic
I wouldn't think the CMP would be able to sell a rifle to a minor. WWIIfanatic, might need to make sure you have a parent on board with the plan, as they may have to meet the CMP requirements and purchase/ own the rifle until you're 18.

i know i have my dad on board. i supply the money, he buys the rifle.

I just submitted an order via mail. When I didn't get a confirmation of my order after 10 days I E-mailed them. Their reply said they were way behind in opening their mail and to contact them if I hadn't heard in another two weeks. Don't know what that means for delivery dates of rifles ordered but it can't be good. Driving down sounds better all the time. Don't forget the Camp Perry matches are taking place and I'm sure some of the Anniston personnel are probably at Camp Perry.

I just submitted an order via mail. When I didn't get a confirmation of my order after 10 days I E-mailed them. Their reply said they were way behind in opening their mail and to contact them if I hadn't heard in another two weeks. Don't know what that means for delivery dates of rifles ordered but it can't be good. Driving down sounds better all the time. Don't forget the Camp Perry matches are taking place and I'm sure some of the Anniston personnel are probably at Camp Perry.

That is one thing that I highly recommend. Ship your order with a tracking number. For what its worth, it was about two or three weeks between them receiving my order and me getting a DBU.