1. 1. G26 or Remington 700 sps tactical

• G26 is a must have
    • Reach out and touch them with the Remm

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got my meagher funds together. Should I replace my gen3 g26 with night sights or step up to the big boy game and get the 700sps tactical?

What do you mean by "replace my gen3 g26 with night sights"? I don't quite understand, did you sell it and either a.)want another one or b.)use the money for the rem700?...but fwiw I say get the rifle. Looking at your sig line(s) it would complete your arsenal so to speak. I've always been a 'the 19 and 26 aren't that different' guy but if you wanted a 26 you could trade your 19 for it.

4 handguns

1 shotgun

1 ar

= get the rifle

Edited by jeremy155rr

The g26 is gone. I have wanted to replace it since I sold it. I enjoyed carrying my g19 and having the g26 as a bug. The Remmy is more of a want than a need, but it would round out my very small collection nicely.

For those of you voting for the Remmy. What size scope would you use? I am thinking Nikon Monarch or Leupold 3-9x40.

I have a bunch of leupold scopes, and only one Nikon cheapie. I'm a big fan of both. I'm with Jason. Don't skimp on the glass. A 3-9x40 is a good general purpose scope. If you're going to shoot long range, you may want something more.

Rather than a Remington take a look at Savage. They are by far the most consistently accurate "out of the box" rifles. There are R700's that do shoot as well as Savages but they are the rarity and not the norm.

Aftermarket support for Savages has went crazy in the past few years. Just about anything that is available for R700's are available for Savages. Stocks, bolt handles, scope bases as well as plenty of cusotm items are all readily available.

Another big plus for Savages is that a barrel or caliber change takes about 10 minutes and can be done at home with readily available tools. If you buy the tools, which cost less than $50 you can change the barrel yourself. If you decide doing it yourself isn't for you then you can have a smith do it and by the way changing barrels on Savages are WAY cheaper than on a Remington. The first barrel swap I had done by a smith cost me $30 and about a 30 minute wait. He twisted off the old barrel screwed the new one on, set headspace then tightened down the barrel nut on the lug. That can't be done with a Remington. With Savages you can have a single gun that you can varmint hunt with and 10 minutes later hunt anything in North America. Used barrels are easily found for <$100 and brand new barrels are <$200. Even the big name custom barrel makers are making drop in Savage barrels.

The triggers that are available are great and are reasonably priced. The best is the Sharp Shooter Supply Competition trigger and it can be had for less than $100. Even the Accutrigger is a fairly decent trigger.

Dolomite

For those of you voting for the Remmy. What size scope would you use? I am thinking Nikon Monarch or Leupold 3-9x40.

IMHO, I think you should go with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40 with the mil dot reticle. It will give you that little bit extra that the 3-9x40 can't.

Guest mikedwood

"G26 or Remington 700 sps tactical"

Huh? It's so different a choice I can't wrap my brain around it. It's like apples to veal.

I love both the 700 and the G26. I think both must be had.

I'd say G26 1st cause you will get immediate use out of it then save for the 700.

At 100 yards my stock bdl will shoot 8's with me shooting Wal-marts cheapest ammo.

From the list in your sig line it looks as though you already have handguns, so even though you say the Remmy is more of a "want" than a "need", I would personally think the same rings true for the G26. It's definately time for you to add a long range rifle to that collection. I've got a 3-9x40 on my AR, but it only gets fired at about 100 yards for the most part. I would go with something bigger and better if the budget allows.

I voted the 700. I own several, and they are fantastic rifles. I guess it all depends on what you want more, but since you already have several handguns, I would think the long gun would be more practical. That's the story I use with the wife when I buy a new gun. "It was practical!"

Shorty, a member here, picked up a 700 SPS Tactical earlier this year and put a Viper Vortex 6-20x44 mil dot on it and I have to say, its a very sweet setup. I didn't really have a want or need for a .308 before shooting his and now I want to mimic his setup.

I have a bunch of leupold scopes, and only one Nikon cheapie. I'm a big fan of both. I'm with Jason. Don't skimp on the glass. A 3-9x40 is a good general purpose scope. If you're going to shoot long range, you may want something more.

What scope would you recommend for around $500?

Shorty, a member here, picked up a 700 SPS Tactical earlier this year and put a Viper Vortex 6-20x44 mil dot on it and I have to say, its a very sweet setup. I didn't really have a want or need for a .308 before shooting his and now I want to mimic his setup.

I had been putting it off, but when I get the Remmy 700 I think that I will be joining you guys at MSSA in the near future.

I had been putting it off, but when I get the Remmy 700 I think that I will be joining you guys at MSSA in the near future.

Come on out man. I know its a major first expense but its worth it for the long haul. And as for the scope, join me and Shorty out there sometime and check out his scope.