Voters oppose guns in restaurants

Guest david_g17

Guest david_g17

WBIR.com | Knoxville, TN | Voters oppose guns in restaurants

Voters oppose guns in restaurants

By Chas Sisk, The Tennessean

A law that allows handguns into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol is proving to be unpopular with Tennesseans.

Seven in 10 voters said they oppose the law passed earlier this year that lets holders of handgun carry permits take their weapons into any establishment that sells alcohol. Supporters of the gun law say it will make the state safer, but voters said in interviews that the prospect of guns mixing with alcohol is too dangerous.

"No one wants them there," said Carol Yager, a Brentwood woman who took part in the poll taken by Mason-Dixon for Tennessee Newspaper Network and WBIR-TV.

The findings match the results of earlier polls taken by Middle Tennessee State University and on behalf of the state tourism industry, both of which showed widespread opposition to the law. Nonetheless, state lawmakers twice passed measures permitting guns in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol in the last two years, both times over the veto of Gov. Phil Bredesen.

"You would think they (legislators) would vote the way their constituents want," said Will Cheek, a Nashville attorney who led a successful legal challenge to the first of the two gun laws. "I think the legislators are out of touch with the people."

A statistically equal portion of men and women were against the gun law, and opposition was even across the state's three grand divisions.

Eighty-two percent of Democrats and 71 percent of independents were opposed to the gun law, but a majority of Republicans, 59 percent, was against it as well.

David Deckard, a 59-year-old autoworker from Lynnville, said the law simply does not fit modern Tennessee.

"We're not living back in the 1800's," he said. "It's not like we're a bunch of cowboys. ... They need to leave their guns in their cars."

One of the law's sponsors, state Rep. Curry Todd, R-Collierville, said the results were not convincing. He said pollsters should have pointed out that the law says people cannot drink while carrying, applies only to places that also serve food and can be preempted by restaurant owners who post a sign at their entrances barring handguns.

"You can get different poll results just based on how the question is proposed," he said. "I don't think it (the poll) is right. I think a majority of folks in the state of Tennessee don't have a problem with it."

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy or gal who carrys into a bar and has a drink or three, whether they have an HCP or not, is NOT concerned about the law. It's probably the same person who will draw when the liquor kicks in and they take offense to how someone looks at them or their date.

Not drinking and actually following the law, well, you can defend yourself from these idiots.

I still reflect a lot on the posted "no guns allowed" policy, I abide by it as a law-abiding citizen, but if it's well concealed...

Guest manofsteel

who cares, its law, they dont have to eat in places that are not posted. just as i will not spend my money in a place that is.:)

I'm a little suspicious about their poll, there were plenty of news polls that never were talked about by the media that showed that either people favored the right of CCW holders to carry in restaurants, or just didn't care if they did or not. Besides, I would think if someone looses their permit because they were caught drinking and carrying, the gunaphobes would like that. Just the leftest media trying to beat a dead horse again.

+1 (that's Not a majority) 625 people...WTF??? And a quote from a woman from, of all places Brentwood. Not much against that, but I've only been here 3 months and I'm getting to know some 'liberal' areas. These News Reports ARE WAY OFF with the B.S. polls. (drive-by media for sure)

Only 625 people were "polled"

I do not doubt for a minute that if guns in bars was put on a ballot in a general election that it would lose by an overwhelming majority.

But people need to realize that we do not live in a democracy we live in a republic. The reason being is just so the majority cannot run rampant over others.

Our founding father were pretty darn smart in this regard.

Guest Sgt. Joe

[David Deckard, a 59-year-old autoworker from Lynnville, said the law simply does not fit modern Tennessee.

"We're not living back in the 1800's," he said. "It's not like we're a bunch of cowboys. ... They need to leave their guns in their cars."]

Looks to me as if this Einstein type person is the one living in yesteryear.

Were we not the 40th or so state to pass such a law? Do ya think this clown is even aware of that?

And I suppose he figures all the BG's will just leave their guns in their cars when they go out to eat, You know....because it is the law? :D

These days I am afraid to put "common sense" or "simple logic" into my search engine for fear of burning up my computer. :P

I do not doubt for a minute that if guns in bars was put on a ballot in a general election that it would lose by an overwhelming majority.

Hell, I doubt if handgun carry in any form would pass on nationwide ballot.

But people need to realize that we do not live in a democracy we live in a republic. The reason being is just so the majority cannot run rampant over others.

Absolutely. Drives me nuts when I hear people talk about "majority rule".

Even with the electoral college, it's actually good that the majority of Americans don't vote period, IMNSHO. Things could actually possibly be worse.

- OS

Absolutely true and thank God for that fact! Our country operates by the rule of law, not by mob rule.

Besides, these kinds of anti-scientific polls are always conducted and the results spewed near elections. Groups with an agenda will only ask a select group of people that they already expect will answer a certain way. Then they extrapolate the results, claiming they reflect the general population. Statistically speaking, there is no mathematical justification for claiming 625 respondents are a reasonable reflection of public opinion.

There may be more opposed to guns in restaurants than not, but no way it's 70% of the state.

agree 100%

Yep this is a Republic folks, not a Democracy.

Mechanisms like the Electoral College were put in place by some pretty smart people to avoid mob rule. Urban metro areas would carry certain elections if it wasn't for the Electoral College.

Sadly, I've spoken to many conservatives who have no knowledge of guns and would probably vote with the Anti's in a poll like this. Their view of guns is only based on movies and the dis-information spewed by the media. Until you've handled, shot, and owned a gun, you know nothing about that which you speak.

</rant>

Edited by eapking
mistake
Guest johnnyo

OMG i can't believe that the media (wbir) is at it again with this crap. It must have been a slow news day. This law has passed TWICE it's law get over it. If you don't like it then dont eat in places that are not posted. If you want your favorite resturant to be posted talk to the manager.

Guest oldsmobile98

I wonder how The Tennessean worded the question. Did they remind the respondents that we aren't supposed to drink while carrying? I bet not.

+1 to Mike.357 on republic vs. democracy.

Even if the poll is right, I doubt the law will be repealed, as long as we don't give them a reason to repeal it. Most of those respondents will forget, because they aren't passionate about the issue. We are. So keep carrying responsibly and don't lose the passion. We can make more advances in the war for self-defense rights if we do those two things.

Guest HvyMtl

Ok, having taken courses on how to formulate a Poll. This one was blatantly skewed. In no way is the law, as written, discussed.

I bet the poll finding would be different had they informed the public about the fact Permit Holders cannot drink and carry.

This poll smacks of politically motivated results...

I emailed the nitwit who wrote the article, asking if he thought the question accurately represented the issue, and here is what he replied:

"I think the pollsters were trying to word the question so that it was fair and succinct. I have no problem with the question, and none of the respondents that I interviewed was unaware of the points you raised (those points being no mention of someone with an HCP not being able to drink while carrying, and that the owner has the choice to ban firearms from his place of business by posting a sign). After two years of discussion over this issue, I think people are pretty well informed on the law."

He ended with "Sometimes it's easier to change the facts than people's opinions.", referring to my comment that "apparently facts don't count anymore, just hysteria and irrational fears"

What a tool.

It's the "guns in bars" lie that get people upset is it not? Because of this lie the non carrying folks think you can legally go into the worst bar in the worst part of town that only has stale peanuts on the bar and a two year old jar of pickled eggs with your pistol. The media needs to be confronted on this.

He ended with "Sometimes it's easier to change the facts than people's opinions.", referring to my comment that "apparently facts don't count anymore, just hysteria and irrational fears"

What a tool.

This is hilarious. It's Anti's like this guy who lean most heavily on emotion and less on facts. And I totally disagree his statement that people know the laws. A lot of people do not know the rules surrounding HCP carry. That's why the press loves to call it "Guns in Bars", to enflame the sheep who don't know any better. The was a poll engineered for a result, which they got. What a joke.