How often do you practice?

Just wondering how many rounds you guys who carry shoot in a average month? What kind of drills do you work through with your time at the range?

I typically make it to the range once a week and run ~100 rounds down the G26 that i carry daily. I would like to use my time and ammo wisely. If you have any good drills please let me know.

Is the an average amount of practice for someone who carries on a daily basis?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

I've shot once a month since around April because some goofy cat started a Memphis Area TGOers monthly meet. Last time was me and eapking shooting weakhanded and stronghanded-only stances. I don't think people really consider that their strong arm may be occupied or wounded in a shoot.

Guest Archminister01

I'm not in the shape I used to be in but when I was, I would get my heart rate up before shooting to simulate the adrenaline rush while in a defensive fighting situation. Add this type of shooting to your regular sight picture, stance and draw drills and you will be better for it. I am working myself back into shape by th way. My hypocrisy goes only so far..lol.

Guest ForPointSix

Like Parrothead, I would also be interested in hearing what drills some of the members are doing.

Now to answer part of you question. We do not have a HCP, so we mainly take a full size 9mm and .38 that stays in our night stands for HD. I make it out to the range about every two weeks with the wife. All together we fire off about 300 to 400 rounds ever trip.

Guest rsgillmd

Wow, compared to you guys I don't practice nearly enough.

I haven't been in about 1.5 months for various reasons, but generally speaking I go to the range about once a month and shoot about a 100 rounds, and do dry practice 3-4 times a week. Previously it was straight target shooting. Now that I know how to draw from a holster I will practice that as well.

After trying it in class and at home I learned that it is hard for me to shoot my gun (Sig P229) one-handed, and especially with my weak hand. I think if I had to shoot one-handed, then I would cock the hammer before pressing the trigger to make it easier on myself. Shooting one-handed seems like a skill worth practicing, if you have not done so already.

I usually make several trips to the range each month as I like to shoot outdoors as well as at the indoors range. As my supply of reloaded ammo is getting smaller, I need to spend more time at the bench and less at the range. The weather has limited my shooting time and reloading, this summer.

Edited by tnhawk
Guest Halfpint

I shoot once or twice a month, ~100 rounds each time. Like Jack said, weak-hand-only and strong-hand-only drills are a good idea. I also do some hip-shooting drills at extreme close range, inside of 10 feet. Clear leather, rotate the gun to keep the slide from hitting your arm or body, and fire two shots center mass. I shoot from difference stances and angles, as if I have to return fire behind me or far to one side. Another drill I like to practice--although I can't do it at Range USA because I haven't taken their advanced classes--is one handed reloads and one handed malfunction clearing.

To perform a one-handed reload, place the pistol between your knees with the grip facing 12 o'clock, insert the magazine and slap it with the heel of your hand to make sure it's seated. To perform a one-handed clearing drill, use your belt to catch the rear sight and rack it to the rear, and lock the slide in the traditional manner. It's trickier left-handed, but doable.

The last year or so, I've only averaged around 2000 rounds a month or so. I used to shoot much more than that. I go to the range about once a week, sometimes twice, and fire at least a couple of hundred rounds. Last week, I fired about 500, but I was there several hours. I practice a variety of shooting...both hands, weak hand, weaker hand, close range, not-so-close range, fast shooting, slower more accurate shooting.

Guest jackdm3
I shoot once or twice a month, ~100 rounds each time. Like Jack said, weak-hand-only and strong-hand-only drills are a good idea. I also do some hip-shooting drills at extreme close range, inside of 10 feet. Clear leather, rotate the gun to keep the slide from hitting your arm or body, and fire two shots center mass. I shoot from difference stances and angles, as if I have to return fire behind me or far to one side. Another drill I like to practice--although I can't do it at Range USA because I haven't taken their advanced classes--is one handed reloads and one handed malfunction clearing.

To perform a one-handed reload, place the pistol between your knees with the grip facing 12 o'clock, insert the magazine and slap it with the heel of your hand to make sure it's seated. To perform a one-handed clearing drill, use your belt to catch the rear sight and rack it to the rear, and lock the slide in the traditional manner. It's trickier left-handed, but doable.

I don't remember the storyline all that well, but I really dug the gun handling of the guys in "Way of the Gun." They were doing knee reloads among others. Gotta watch that again. It's about as tutorial as action flix get.

Am fortunate to have place in country and built small range. Nothing real fancy, 4 stationary targets and 2 on trolleys out to about 55

feet. Shoot at least once a week and practice draws and do dry fire drills several times as farm work permits. Don't really fix on # of

rounds as stance , movement, and sight picture. Am working on point and shoot rather than sight use. scores are pretty much the same

now.

I think it is important to incorporate failure to fire drills frequently. When on the range I load snap cap in every mag. You would be surprised

how you react in the beginning. Also important simulate stress, couple 50 yd dashes, push ups, etc. gets pulse and breathing rates up and

simulates adrenalin rush experienced in true encounters.

Also have fun with a variety of targets. Boring firing rounds down range at the same old target,

Now have made a couple dummy's complete with real clothes etc. Be surprised what firing at a realistic target might do to your core the first

time. Throw in stopwatch with double or triple taps { 2 to CM and 1 to head } and a little comp to spice up a session.

Just have fun and work on quality more so than quantity.

Guest Lester Weevils

Lately about once a week, maybe 80 rnds 22 pistol and 150 rnds 9mm at 10 yards (with 2 different 9mm pistols). Any improvement is very incremental at best.

Still working on 'quick as possible' accurate sight acquisition and double-tap. If I ever get good at that, will try something else. :lol:

Guest Hillbilly Dan

I try to get to the range at least every other week. Usually shooting at least 100 rounds. I shoot combat style with both right and left hand with most use being right since I am right handed. I also draw my back up from my pocket and do a mag or two with a reload on both the carry and the back up.

Shooting out to 15 yds down to 3 yds. Do mostly double taps with both guns. Try head shots at 12 yds every time. All else body shots.

Guest bchillen

I am very lucky I live close to the norris range and shoot alot. How ever I have found that it is not how many rounds you send flying down the range but it is the control of the rounds you send down range. In short if you cant hit what you are shooting at every time why send more lead. Speed is not always the anwser if you cant hit your target.

Average for me is pretty low. I go two-three months when work interferes with my real life and I do not get to the range. But normal times see me at the range weekly. I alternate rifle and pistol sessions. Both .22 and centerfire at each session. I use a multiple bullseye target so that I can practice sighting drills. Typically, I fire 2-300 .22 and 150rds centerfire per trip.

I practice drawing and immediate action drills in front of the TV. If you do that, you need to have lots of snap-caps. The A-Zoom ones seem to hold up best. ALWAYS double-check your weapon and make sure there are no live rounds nearby when practicing indoors. I've never shot anything inside the house (yet). But I keep it in mind every time I touch a weapon at home.

Guest Halfpint
I don't remember the storyline all that well, but I really dug the gun handling of the guys in "Way of the Gun." They were doing knee reloads among others. Gotta watch that again. It's about as tutorial as action flix get.
It is pretty well done, isn't it? :) Just picked up Magpul's "Art of the Tactical Carbine" last night, look for a review when I get time to watch the whole thing.

I usually go to the range once a month. I'll shoot 100 rounds or so thru my seld defense pistols and then plink with my .22s. I like to have a theme when I go. All revolver day. All 45acp day. Crimson trace day, All carry pistols day. Rimfire day. Sometimes I just bring my 40 and shoot it sideways (Thug Day). I just shot handguns. I got rifles and shotguns down pretty well but handguns, not so well.

Edited by Will Carry

I'd love to shoot at least once a week. In reality it's once or twice a month. Weekly is kinda expensive.

I went about a week ago, to RangeUSA. I've been thru a couple of their advanced classes so I can draw from holster on the line. That's really helpful for practical useful practice sessions. Just standing there reeling off rounds is fun sometimes, but it's not a realistic situation. At least to be able to draw helps get you a little closer to reality. As Halfpint suggested, you've got to come up with some drills, like the up close hip-shoot, malfunctions, top-off reloads, etc. Going to those advanced classes will give you some good things to take home. Heck dry firing with snap caps, holster drawing, etc. is good too.

Guest 6.8 AR

Work schedule usually doesn't allow for more than once

a month. We shoot way too many rounds(400-800). I

can't find primers to keep that many loads on hand, so that limits things.

Tried weak hand last week. That was a surprise and I'm

glad I did it.

Hypothetically, if I could, probably a few times a week in my basement!

;)

Just be careful of your lead levels. I know a lot of indoor range instructors that have had their lead levels go through the roof and then got very sick. Three times a week would be plenty depending on what you're shooting, particularly in a basement with normal basement type ventilation.

Guest 10mm4me

Me and a buddy go to my 100yd range once a month and do some variation of 3 gun drills. The pistol is usually last so we are breathing heavy when we get to it. We do one hand strong/weak, walking sideways, forward, backwards and a variation of other drills. We practice presentation, reholstering, reloads, simulate misfires, immediate action, and so forth. It usually lasts 3-4 hrs and is a great time.