Best Place To Shoot In Chattanooga

Guest DRO

I wonder if the permits weed out some of the idiocy and crowds that were mentioned earlier in this thread?  I guess it depends on if they actively police and enforce the permit requirement.

I don't know but I sure hope it does. It's $100 for an annual permit at PC or $5.50 for 2 hours. I have no idea how they keep up with the time on those.  I quit going up there a few years ago after seeing some really stupid people showing up as well as a few a****les showing up. It got pretty bad for a while before they upgraded the place. I joined the CRC and always shoot there now.

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 1

currently a member at chattanooga rifle club and cleveland club.  both great.

for people that want to walk up, and not have to join a club, there is a great option just north of Chattanooga for pistol calibers.

Nice facility, good air systems, and the walk up fees are reasonable.  

http://www.clevelandshootingsports.com/index.php/shooting-range-sports/indoor-shooting-range

• Like 1

I took my HCP class a Shooters Depot. The range was nice and modern but is handgun only. The people were pretty nice and it was a nice place. However it is pretty pricey to shoot there. According to there website it is $25 for 30 min at the range. I shoot before I took the class and they didn't charge me that much so it might be cheaper at slower times.

Carters is a about twice the size of shooters depot but the building is clearly older and it was a little strange you have to walk outside to get to the range from the show room. The people were nice and the range supports riffles as well as handguns although when I was up there last week they had a notice nothing above .223 until they complete their maintenance I have no idea how long that will take. You must be a member to shot at Carters the membership cost $20 per year and $10 to shot. Carters has a group-on deal running where you get the membership and 1 visit for $15.

I haven't been to any other ranges in the area yet. I plan to hit the range in Cleveland soon

Thanks
Robert

You can shoot up to a 5.56 rifle at Shooters Depot, but the range isn't really long enough to enjoy it that much. If you shoot on Tuesday or Thursday, it is only $10 a person.

You can shoot up to a 5.56 rifle at Shooters Depot, but the range isn't really long enough to enjoy it that much. If you shoot on Tuesday or Thursday, it is only $10 a person.

I didn't know that about the special Tuesday & Thursday price.  I've been wanting to check them out, but $25 for a half-hour is a LOT on the steep side.  $10 is much more reasonable.  Thanks for the info!

Carl sold his store.  It is now Shooters Supply in the same building.  There was a story about it in the Times Free Press in the last three days.

I missed it that story, but they have a website now that says grand opening on March 5th. http://shooters-range.com

Carl was gruff and took some getting used to and was nothing like his dad who once owned the Montlake skeet range and the gun store years ago. I don't know what happened about the skeet range, but he took over the store quite a few years ago. Some people never did get past the gruffness after he took it over, but he wasn't so bad if you went in regularly and got to know him. He did a couple of transfers for me a ways back for $20 plus $10 for the B.C.  and he used to have used firearm odds and ends and I got some pretty good items at good prices a few times. My wife and I I have shot their in the past and I actually took my CCW training there. It's a pretty decent range. Maybe now that some new owners have it, things will get better. I'll have to go to the G.O. and see what's up. I do know that when I shot there you could recover your most of your brass and even sweep it back off the range if you could reach it without going past the line. I've had several people give me their brass also when they saw me collecting mine. 

Edited by Randall53

I just took my CCL class at Shooters. Nice people, the range was clean ventilation was good, but some of the people shooting there scared the crap out of me with questionable gun handling. I'm sure one woman hurt herself by wrapping her thumb around the back of her Hi point. She had someone coaching her and they left rather quickly. I guess it's like any indoor range you have to keep an eye on everyone.

I didn't ask about Brass policy, but there were people there picking up brass and there was no range officer watching everyone so I don't think it is a problem as long as you stay behind the line.

The store is filling up with stock, they even had some rimfire ammo on the shelf. I'll go back to visit for sure.

I just took my CCL class at Shooters. Nice people, the range was clean ventilation was good, but some of the people shooting there scared the crap out of me with questionable gun handling. I'm sure one woman hurt herself by wrapping her thumb around the back of her Hi point. She had someone coaching her and they left rather quickly. I guess it's like any indoor range you have to keep an eye on everyone.

I didn't ask about Brass policy, but there were people there picking up brass and there was no range officer watching everyone so I don't think it is a problem as long as you stay behind the line.

The store is filling up with stock, they even had some rimfire ammo on the shelf. I'll go back to visit for sure.

How much was the ammo? I heard the Supply store required you to buy theirs.

9mm was Blazer Brass and I think it was $13.50 a box but there was a discount maybe 5% or 10% if you were taking the class.

I wasn't even asked I just shot some factory ball that I had. I think there was a sign that said no steel jacket but I'm not sure. I could have shot my hand loads and they would have never known.

The class was a bit high, at $75 but If I had pre paid at registration it would have been $65.

How much was the ammo? I heard the Supply store required you to buy theirs.

I don't keep track but the depo always has rimfire, because they use it a lot in the HCP classes.  You can't buy too much at once, and that number is pretty low, or it was.   You are not required to buy ammo there.  You can pick up your brass.    They might even sell you a bucket of random brass.

I don't keep track but the depo always has rimfire, because they use it a lot in the HCP classes. You can't buy too much at once, and that number is pretty low, or it was. You are not required to buy ammo there. You can pick up your brass. They might even sell you a bucket of random brass.

I was referring to Sportsmans Supply in Hixson. I think you have to buy your ammo from them when you buy range time.

I was referring to Sportsmans Supply in Hixson. I think you have to buy your ammo from them when you buy range time.

I asked Carl one time and he said I could shoot my own. I don't know about the people that have it now, but they seem really nice. I always kind of liked Carl but with him being closed on Mondays it never worked well for my schedule. I shoot at Carter's and my only complaint is somewhat poor ventilation, but it is so cheap I can almost look past it.

I asked Carl one time and he said I could shoot my own. I don't know about the people that have it now, but they seem really nice. I always kind of liked Carl but with him being closed on Mondays it never worked well for my schedule. I shoot at Carter's and my only complaint is somewhat poor ventilation, but it is so cheap I can almost look past it.

That's a bit misleading. Their website does state you have to buy their range safe ammo if you are a guest. It doesn't say anything about members though. One would think the policy would be the same.

What do you pay at Carter's? Is it a law enforcement discount? I think most local places let officers in uniform shoot for free.