So who actually open carrys?

For poops and giggles, I OC'd in Autozone on Summer Avenue here in Memphis around 8-9pm one night. Not the best area of town. Place was crowded. Long line in the "get help from the expert" line and as I walked by, a couple of peoples looked at me. I went back to the oil rack, and a woman was there, she kind of did a double take, but she didn't run off or anything. The Check out girl didn't even look I don't think. There were some "rough" looking characters in that store.

But 99.9% of the other time, I OC.

I've OC'ed there once or twice. It's the closeat AZ to my house and I have gone up there a couple of times to get something but forgot my vest when I left the house. Never had a problem other than, like you said, a glance or two, but no one has ever said anything or freaked out.

Edited by robbiev
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I CC in public, but have been known to OC on my own property. Especially over the past few months as I've had lots of people I don't know coming by the the house doing construction quotes and work. No funny looks. I've gotten into about 3 discussions with some of the contractors about guns. They all had their HCP too.

I don't live in TN, but OC on a fairly regular basis in Metro Atlanta. I live in a conservative county about 40 miles Noth of Atlanta proper and very few people really care. Our Sheriff's Dept has a policy that if they get a MWAG call, to not respond unless the person making the call was reporting an actual crime involving the MWAG or shots were fired. Once I was approached by a Forsyth County Sheriff Deputy. I was thinking "OK, here it comes", but just wanted to know where I got the nice leather holster that I had my Walther PPKs in.

When I go home to Memphis I always conceal. I have concerns about officers that may not realise that TN honors my GFL, and that I may forget to check building entrances for signs, since signs carry no legal weight in GA, but they do on TN. Besides, some of my family members don't support the second amendment as strongly as I do. Although, because of me, my father has gotten his TN permit and one of my brothers is taking his class in a few weeks.

I don't live in TN, but OC on a fairly regular basis in Metro Atlanta. I live in a conservative county about 40 miles Noth of Atlanta proper and very few people really care. Our Sheriff's Dept has a policy that if they get a MWAG call, to not respond unless the person making the call was reporting an actual crime involving the MWAG or shots were fired. Once I was approached by a Forsyth County Sheriff Deputy. I was thinking "OK, here it comes", but just wanted to know where I got the nice leather holster that I had my Walther PPKs in.

When I go home to Memphis I always conceal. I have concerns about officers that may not realise that TN honors my GFL, and that I may forget to check building entrances for signs, since signs carry no legal weight in GA, but they do on TN. Besides, some of my family members don't support the second amendment as strongly as I do. Although, because of me, my father has gotten his TN permit and one of my brothers is taking his class in a few weeks.

excellent about your father and brother! I think more people are going to start to OC and eventually people will be more accustomed to it.

Guest trumpettgriffin
I used to OC when living in AZ as an approved CC permit holder. I only had the CC for he occasion when carrying that way was desirable to me. I am in the process of getting squared away with my carry permit here and I intend to carry OC. Bringing a lil of the wild west here to TN I guess. I am all for being gun pro and only by letting folks see that a person can own a gun, carry it in public and portray a positive responsible image rather that shown by mainstream media.

I tend to think contrary. Firearms make some nervous (whether they are philosophically anti-gun or not).

I believe OC hurts the cause for responsible handgun carry because it unnecessarily makes those folks uncomfortable. Those same folks might weigh in at the ballot box (or in general, public opinion) just because they had a few, shaken impressions.

CC for me – 100%

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for what you say about demonstrating a responsible gun wielder. However, my guess is that the impression comes off before you ever get a chance to demonstrate that you are.

I tend to think contrary. Firearms make some nervous (whether they are philosophically anti-gun or not).

I believe OC hurts the cause for responsible handgun carry because it unnecessarily makes those folks uncomfortable. Those same folks might weigh in at the ballot box (or in general, public opinion) just because they had a few, shaken impressions.

CC for me – 100%

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for what you say about demonstrating a responsible gun wielder. However, my guess is that the impression comes off before you ever get a chance to demonstrate that you are.

We have seen that OC can lead to more gun buster signs. So, when you think about open carry, you gotta weigh that as part of your decision. Once a place is posted, it affects ALL of us. The laws in this state make it too easy for property owners that don't want to see your gun. Unfortunately, their only real recourse is a total ban.

Guest Glock23ForMe

I OC'd last night for the first time, because I had it on my hip under my over shirt, and took my overshirt off before I got gas. No one got shot or died. I even bought a Chocolate Milk. In efforts of thread preservation, I'm not going to go off topic, unlike some of the boobs posted before me. :grouchy::repost:

I OC'd last night for the first time, because I had it on my hip under my over shirt, and took my overshirt off before I got gas. No one got shot or died. I even bought a Chocolate Milk. In efforts of thread preservation, I'm not going to go off topic, unlike some of the boobs posted before me. :grouchy::repost:

:repost: I don't open carry.

I normally CC, but I will OC from time to time. Just depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing. Even when I do CC it's not deep cover. I don't believe in burying it so deep it's useless.

IWB doesn't work for me and pocket carry of a primary is not my first choice - although I admit to being lazy and choosing that method, sometimes - especially in the summer. I can't carry 24/7 because of where I work but I do carry whenever I legally can. My main carry method is OWB with a tucked in t-shirt or other undershirt with either an untucked polo type shirt or unbuttoned/untucked button-up type shirt as a cover garment. Not exactly 'deep cover' but deep enough that I consider it CC as I truly believe that the vast majority of people never notice it even if part of the handgun and/or holster become exposed for some reason. Of course, in cooler weather I may be wearing a different or additional cover garment (jacket, etc.) as well.

About the only times I have OC'd in public have been times when I have taken my overshirt off in the vehicle because of extremely hot weather and simply didn't put it back on before making a quick trip into a convenience store, etc. At home, around the yard, I often carry a SA Heritage revolver with a 6.5 inch barrel loaded with WMR as 'varmint repellant'. Needless to say, that is OC all the way.

CC for me – 100%

It must be really hard for some people to follow simple directions.......

Guest trumpettgriffin
It must be really hard for some people to follow simple directions.......

Feel free to report me to the appropriate regulatory agencies

Guest db99wj

report.php?p=585081There are plenty of these threads for the debate, this thread is not one of them, out of respect for the OP's request, lets talk about reactions that you have encountered, good, bad, or indefferent and leave the OC vs CC debate out of it. If we start with the OC vs CC, the thread will basically die because the intent is gone and won't be easily recovered.

report.php?p=585081

you might as well OC as wear a vest, Nothing says " I've got a gun" quite like the vest, LOL

I believe that to be mostly urban legend. I wear a vest all the time, and I carry my gun everywhere (and I mean EVERYWHERE. If I'm outside of my house, I wear a gun, period) and I've never run into a single problem. I've been carrying for over 15 years and always used a vest, so it's not something I started last week or anything.

The only unwanted attention a vest has ever brought me is, when I go into Kroger, someone ALWAYS thinks I work there and asks me a question, and then they get mad when I don't know the answer.

Edited by robbiev
  • Moderators

This morning was at the Panera Bread in G'Town for the church staff meeting and was in my suit as I had someplace to be afterwards. I removed my suit coat while we were there and was OCing as we talked and as I went to refill coffee and whatnot. No reactions from anyone at all as far as I could tell. Since I have to run to Kroger in a little bit might as well leave my suit coat at home and see if I get the same sort of reaction (none at all).

the only time I had a somewhat odd reaction was at Wal-Mart. I stopped in on my way to the range to pick up some ammo.

The manager at the sporting goods counter asked me if I was an off duty officer. I said told him I was not. I guess he realized that I was just a legally armed citizen with a HCP and he said. "well I have my handgun carry as well, but I don't carry it in stores as there is really no need" :angel:

I just told him to have a nice day and went about my business. Why would he get his HCP if there is no need to carry it???

I should have reminded him that there have been many crimes committed at Wal-Marts around the country. What an idiot.

And what is a handgun carry?? I think he was full of :D He didn't even know the correct term for his permit.