Pet Peeve.

Okay, not a serious peeve, but It constantly buffs my pickle, none the less.

As some of you probably know, I'm English. I only moved here last year so I'm still a long way from losing my accent. One thing I'm constantly told is how much people like my British Accent. This is the peeve; I don't have a British accent, I have an English accent! There's no such thing as a British accent! Britain encompasses 3 different countries, all with very different accents. The Scots (NOT Scotch, scotch is a drink) is fairly easy to pick up on, the Welsh is very different & the English contains so many different accents it's unreal, but none of them are Scottish or Welsh!

I'm constantly referred to as a 'Brit' I'm not a bloody Brit, I'm ENGLISH! It's like calling a Frenchman a 'European' or one of you lot a 'Yank' (Okay, maybe not that offensive :confused:)

I know we're one of the smallest civilized countries in the world, but we're also one of the oldest & proudest (well.....)

To really throw the cat amongst the proverbials, I'm not only English, I'm from Yorkshire.

Yorkshire is England's biggest (& best) County. Kinda like the English version of Texas :D

When you ask a Yorkshireman where he's from he will, without exception,tell you "Yorkshire, England." The Yorkshire always,always comes first.

So, just for the record, I'm English, NOT British!

United Kingdom = England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland

Great Britain = England, Scotland, Wales

Just so there's no further confusion.

Oh & Southern Ireland (Éire) has nothing to do with us, whatsoever.

So there you go. If you ever meet a British guy, please, please don't comment on his 'British accent' He's either English, Scottish or Welsh. And if you ask me where I'm from, please don't ask me if I know your friend; "Jenny, she lives in Liverpool, that's in the North, near you" The country isn't THAT bloody small! :D

The North of England is very similar in economic status & pride factor, to the Southern States. We're very proud of where we're from, we're hard working, we put our County pride before our National pride & we don't hold with them folks from the other end of the country (worse than bloody foreigners the lot of 'em)

In short (I think we passed 'short' some time back) Northerners & especially Yorkshiremen are the English Rednecks & Hillbillies. DON'T TREAD ON US!!! :D:D:D

Edited by robtattoo
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but anywhere I go in Europe I'm called a "Yank" especially in England. :D BTW - the "British accent" term is a throwback to the British Empire. AS if you didn't know. :confused:

On the other hand if you Brits would just learn to speak normal English we wouldn't have a problem!:D

You have a wonderful Britich accent in your writing though. Hard to distinguish which country it is from.

And I have no sympathy. I am from Ohio and have to take crap for being a Yankee when I am actually a damn Yankee. ( stayed and bought property :confused:) When I lived in Illinois and Florida I was accused of being a hillbilly. There is no way to win, yanno.

Cheerio

Guest GunTroll

Ok I do it. What is a wanker to the English? I've never been called one and never called anyone that so I have no idea. And please keep it PG.

Guest oldsmobile98

Good to know! I'll work on my usage. (referring to the original post)

The Scots/Scottish/Scotch thing is kinda tricky for us, since a lot of folks in East Tennessee are descendants of the immigrants known as the Scotch-Irish.

Quoth Wikipedia:

"Scotch-Irish" is an Americanism, almost unknown in England, Ireland or Scotland....The usage "Scots-Irish" is a relatively recent version of the term. The historic and most commonly used term in America is Scotch-Irish, as evident in Merriam-Webster dictionaries, where the term Scotch-Irish is recorded from 1744, while Scots-Irish is not recorded until 1972.

Edited by oldsmobile98
Guest Sgt. Joe

What another feriner trying to tell us how to act or speak:rolleyes:

Just kidding Robtatto, point taken and I can see how that would get on your nerves.

But you should know that having ones pickle buffed is a good thing here:D

But you should know that having ones pickle buffed is a good thing here:D

Unless you buff it yourself... then you're just a... well, you know. :D

J.

Guest Glock23ForMe
You can't be that slow... Even Strel can't be that slow. :D

J.

I just see if you'd say it, and if rob would throw something.

Rob, for the record... Whenever you called me a month or so back about the dog kennel thing, for July 4th, I was EXTREMELY caught off guard by your English accent.

It's cool though, glad you like it here.