First LEO encounter while carrying

I stopped this morning at the BP for my morning coffee carrying my G26 IWB as usual. I usually blouse my dress shirt out over the butt of the gun when I get out of the car, but today I must have had something else on my mind and did a lousy job covering the end of the Glock.

A local police captain was in line behind me and followed me out of the store. On the sidewalk I hear "Sir, have you got a permit for that?" from behind me. I showed him my permit and license and he kinda gave me a lecture for carrying open.

He told me that off duty Clarksville police officers are not allowed to carry open, and that I shouldn't either. He told me that the general public gets upset when they see a gun and he's seen innocent people who have been put in danger because someone spotted them carrying open and called the cops on them.

I assured him that it was an accident, that I normally carry it well covered. He seemed skeptical and I couldn't resist, I said "You see me in here nearly every day and this is the first time you spotted the gun". He kind of gave me the old stink eye, handed me my permit and license and walked away.

I didn't make a friend today, but I learned a valuable lesson, I'll stay well concealed in the future.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to each his own. I would have politely told the officer that the state of TN says open carry is your right whether he likes it or not. I CC about 90% of the time and OC the rest and I've never had a problem.

It's not his job to lecture you on how he FEELS you should carry.

Guest nashvegas
He told me that off duty Clarksville police officers are not allowed to carry open, and that I shouldn't either.

Perhaps the fact that you and I can open carry if we desire, but he can't, ruffles his feathers.

I wonder if a Clarksville police officer gets his or her permit, would they then be allowed to open carry?

Personally, I always carry concealed.

to each his own. I would have politely told the officer that the state of TN says open carry is your right whether he likes it or not. I CC about 90% of the time and OC the rest and I've never had a problem.

It's not his job to lecture you on how he FEELS you should carry.

+1

That's funny, because I saw a guy open carrying for the first time in Sears in Governor's Square Mall yesterday. Stopped and watched him for a minute just to see if anyone else noticed. Not another person did while I was there and the mall was as packed as I've ever seen it.

Not a friendly.

I live in Montgomery County and work in the Madison St area. Carry concealed 99% of the time,

S&W Sigma 9 OTW and never been made. Have own range on property and have 5 -6

Leo friends that shoot with us, Sgts and even Detective type on Tac Team. None of them have

any problem with HCP"s. They basically say appearance, attitude, etc sparks any problems.

They all know I carry and have seen them in their on duty roles. Went through check point

recently and THP Trooper never batted an eye, even had conversation on best carry options.

Don't know what his problem might have been, but friends have said sheep sometimes become

frightened or what and will call and report man with gun. There was an incident with a County

Deputy a while back during a felony stop with 3 individuals in the vehicle where a HCP assisted the

line depuy, believe me he is respectfull and appreciatve. Besides Capt's probably don't patrol as

rule. What part of town was BP, may avoid, will definetly ask LEO friends about.

Not a friendly.

Well, he was not UN-friendly. But he was kind of lecturing me. It was obvious by the time the conversation was over, he was not a fan of citizens carrying. I dunno, maybe it was because he realized this morning how many days a week we stand in the same cashier line and today was the first time he'd seen my gun. I'll certainly make sure I'm concealed around there from now on, if nothing else to make sure I don't further irritate a LEO. I certainly mean no disrespect, but I felt like I was being lectured about the public appearance of carrying a gun.

The neighborhood is not a bad one by any means. However we all know, bad things happen to good people in nice places all the time.

Guest Guntotn

I guess I'm lucky here the officers are pretty cool about it but they do ask you to let them know if your carrying if you get pulled over for any reason other than that they have no problem with open carry.

Guest drv2fst

I don't have a problem with an LEO who sees a gun and asks for a permit, no one else here has stated other wise either. I don't have a problem with him stating his "opinion" about open carry, just so long as he was clear that it was his opinion and not an instruction from a LEO.

My conversations with LEO have been mixed. Some like it because they know that HCP holders are legit and intend to stay that way. Others don't seem to like it for some reason. Different people, different opinions just like any other profession.

I personally don't like Open Carry. The only time I have seen people out in the world open carrying they were guys that I don't think we want representing gun owners as a group. It's funny that I feel better knowing I have a gun. But sometimes when I see someone OC'ing I am worried that HE has a gun. Usually, only because based on his behavior I would not trust him at the shooting range with live ammo. Much less at Walmart or grocery stores. I know many here OC. I am not trying to start a CC vs OC debate. To each his own. I just think CC is a much better option IMHO. As the OP's example proves CC does not bother people as often as OC does. We are seeing a nice restoration of our 2A rights in this country. I just worry that OC will strengthen the resolve of the Anti's.

OP, I think you handled that situation well. Thanks for posting. This is a good reminder to us all to make sure that concealed really is concealed.

I have had many, many encounters with LEO's in the nearly 20 years I have been carrying. None ever said a word to me. I guess they just didn't know I was packing. :screwy:

A good example of why is good to be grey.

Sure he had a right to ask to see your permit, but should not have went into a lecture about pro's and cons. Sounds like you are already aware of those.

Myself I plan to be grey most of the time.

I've never been asked for my HCP and likely never will be asked, b/c I CC. I wouldn't dream of trampling on anyone's right to OC, but I STRONGLY prefer CC.

Partly, I don't want to be the 1st one shot if the SHTF and I'm near. Mostly, I know many people have "issues" (almost always irrational) with guns, so the fewer they see, they less they think about it.

If I OC'ed in an unposted place and enough people complained to the owner, causing him to feel pressured to post his establishment, I'd feel bad. Not only would I be the catalyst that made him do what he felt he had to do, which often means choosing to lose some customers (US) at the risk of losing others (anti-gun nuts). SBO's have it hard enough in this economy without me creating issues that cause them to lose customers. Not to mention that many of us won't frequent a posted place, which is often inconvenient for us as well.

So what I'm trying to get at is that maybe the LEO had another reason for recommending CC over OC?

Edited by BigK

So what I'm trying to get at is that maybe the LEO had another reason for recommending CC over OC?

it sure did take you a long time to get to the point. While the rest of your statement had nothing to do with what the original post was about :)

just my .02

Well, he was not UN-friendly. But he was kind of lecturing me. It was obvious by the time the conversation was over, he was not a fan of citizens carrying. I dunno, maybe it was because he realized this morning how many days a week we stand in the same cashier line and today was the first time he'd seen my gun. I'll certainly make sure I'm concealed around there from now on, if nothing else to make sure I don't further irritate a LEO. I certainly mean no disrespect, but I felt like I was being lectured about the public appearance of carrying a gun.

The neighborhood is not a bad one by any means. However we all know, bad things happen to good people in nice places all the time.

If it bothered you, you might consider contacting the department the officer works for an filing a complaint. Nothing wrong with stopping and asking for a permit (but lets be honest if the weapon is in the holster what are the chances the person doesn't have a permit?)... but it sounds like the officer in question went a bit too far in the lecture. Wonder if the CLEO for his department thinks?

Guest Mudlizard

Nothing worse than reading about a cop berating a law abiding citizen, injecting his own version of the law, and then reading furthur down the post that another cop, forum member, has the gall to say he doesnt like to see "regular" people cc on a hand gunners forum. go someplace else and complain mac, we carry here because the state gives us this right, like it or not. you truely piss me off with your double standards.