First LEO encounter while carrying

it sure did take you a long time to get to the point. While the rest of your statement had nothing to do with what the original post was about :)

just my .02

Didn't mean to challenge your attention span :puke:

The OP said the LEO told him why his guys don't OC and why he felt it's a bad idea. I was just sighting another reason that affects us more than just side scaring the sheeple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really know about some of these posts. You did the right thing! It's no use stirring up a cop even if he gives his opinion. There's a time and place for argument. Somewhere else. Even if he was wrong, I doubt you would see another cop in Clarksville do the same thing, unless there are other potential problems in the area that might be on his mind.

I don't really know about some of these posts. You did the right thing! It's no use stirring up a cop even if he gives his opinion. There's a time and place for argument. Somewhere else. Even if he was wrong, I doubt you would see another cop in Clarksville do the same thing, unless there are other potential problems in the area that might be on his mind.

+1 Seems the encounter cost nothing but a little of his time, so I agree. He handled it well.

It can be turned off in the settings, or deleted with each post. No big deal.

I haven't looked for the setting to turn it off, b/c until now it's been No big deal. I'll hit backspace enough times to delete it when it bothers me as much as long signatures and 10 extra lines of empty space at the end of other peoples' comments.

edit: I found the setting...hmmm turn it off? Maybe a poll.

Edited by BigK

Mine popped back up when I did an upgrade on my iphone. I just try to remember to delete

the line, still no big deal. Some people make a big deal out of anything, it seems.

Mine popped back up when I did an upgrade on my iphone. I just try to remember to delete

the line, still no big deal. Some people make a big deal out of anything, it seems.

I didn't consider deleting it (small hassle), since with Taptalk you don't get a regular sig line, like almost everyone uses. I guess it bothers some?

I've always understood that one of the reasons we have a HCP and not a CWP is so that it won't be a crime if we accidentally expose our weapons, and there have been times I was printing and my wife let me know so I could adjust my clothing.

The vast majority of LEOs are supportive of citizens carrying, but there are a few who are not and take the opportunity to deliver a lecture about it. I would take the officer's name and badge number and make a phone call to the watch commander.

Guest TnRebel
I haven't looked for the setting to turn it off, b/c until now it's been No big deal. I'll hit backspace enough times to delete it when it bothers me as much as long signatures and 10 extra lines of empty space at the end of other peoples' comments.

edit: I found the setting...hmmm turn it off? Maybe a poll.

hit don't bother me

• 3 weeks later...
... Nothing wrong with stopping and asking for a permit ...

I've seen this statement several times in this thread, and this is completly WRONG.

TN law states that an officer may demand your permit, but they cannot make any legally binding demand upon you unless you are being detained or arrested. If you are not detained or arrested, the contact is consensual and you are free to end the contact at any time (Terry v Ohio).

Guest Drewsett
I've seen this statement several times in this thread, and this is completly WRONG.

TN law states that an officer may demand your permit, but they cannot make any legally binding demand upon you unless you are being detained or arrested. If you are not detained or arrested, the contact is consensual and you are free to end the contact at any time (Terry v Ohio).

But in a state where it is illegal to carry without a permit is that a valid concern? Kind of like an officer having a right to see your Driver's License if you are behind the wheel of a car I would think.

You are right in the sense that if you are just standing there, doing nothing and aren't suspected of anything a LEO can't just walk up to you, detain you and ask to see your permit. However if you are OCing, stated you have a weapon or the LEO has some other reason/justification to think you are armed, he very well can detain you and ask to see your permit. Since as stated as others have said carry in TN is against the law and having a permit is only a defense to that. So if you obviously armed or suspected (to whatever legal extent needed) of being armed, you are breaking the law as far as the LEO is concerned until you do show your permit.

You are right in the sense that if you are just standing there, doing nothing and aren't suspected of anything a LEO can't just walk up to you, detain you and ask to see your permit. However if you are OCing, stated you have a weapon or the LEO has some other reason/justification to think you are armed, he very well can detain you and ask to see your permit. Since as stated as others have said carry in TN is against the law and having a permit is only a defense to that. So if you obviously armed or suspected (to whatever legal extent needed) of being armed, you are breaking the law as far as the LEO is concerned until you do show your permit.

Correct. If you are carrying openly, LEOs see the outlind of a consealed weapon, or someone calls and says someone matching your description is armed you will be detained and you likely will be disarmed untill LEOs verify your permit status. Besides, why would a LEO ask for your permit if they dont know you are armed? If they know you are armed then they have the right to check you permit. Without the permit you would be arrested for unlawful poss of a weapon. It is better in my opinon to carry it consealed anyway, you loose the eliment of suprise if you carry openly.

Edited by bnoland
Correct. If you are carrying openly, LEOs see the outlind of a consealed weapon, or someone calls and says someone matching your description is armed you will be detained and you likely will be disarmed untill LEOs verify your permit status. Besides, why would a LEO ask for your permit if they dont know you are armed? If they know you are armed then they have the right to check you permit. Without the permit you would be arrested for unlawful poss of a weapon. It is better in my opinon to carry it consealed anyway, you loose the eliment of suprise if you carry openly.

Much better than your post before you edited it IMO :D

Stay safe....

I agree that is how it should be... but refusing to show your permit to an officer would be a violation of 39-17-1351 thru 39-17-1360 (IANAL) and therefore if reported to TDOS your permit would be revoked.

Yes, TN law doesn't completely jive with Terry Stops cases law...

I suspect the argument would be that if they see you with a handgun, and having a handgun on your person is generally a crime they can start a terry stop and then ask for your permit as part of that terry stop....

I *personally* think an argument could be made that it's an unconstitutional stop in most cases, because the officer must have a reasonable suspicion a crime is being committed, and in that officers personal experience and training how often has he stopped a person open carrying in a holster and the person be violating the law? I'm willing to bet very very rarely to almost never.

Edited by JayC

i carry paper work in my vehicles now to show any officer that the law tells me where i can carry but in tn it does not tell me how i have to carry. that seems to be the problem with most officers because they have rules on how to carry and we as permit holders do not. the officers i have had contact with seem to get bent out of shape over 1911s cocked and locked.