SCOPES?

What's a good place to buy new/used scopes and rings? I am looking to put glass on my Rem 700 sps. I have found several that I like, but my favorite is the Trijicon 5x20 with the the green dot. I also like the Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Elite 4200, and the Vortex Viper. Am I leaving any good scopes out besides the Leupold?

I may be willing to pay up to a grand for a good scope, but I want to stay in the five hundred range. Thanks for any help.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Monarch Buckmaster, it's just below the Monarch in price. it's clear and I love it. It's on a savage 10fp.

I got it from The Sportsman's Guide. I purchased their 1 year membership to get the discount and then the $10 off coupons. It came out to under $300.

My dad has a Vortex from OpticsPlanet.net which we tried out on his new Savage the other day. It's looks great also.

I've never owned a Trijicon, but I have the Leupold 6x24. The Leupold is a 50mm with a fine duplex, it's great for open field hunting and target practice, but not that great for close woods hunting, the power is a lil too much. I also have a Nikon, it's a lower power and I love it just for hunting. I bought the Leupold from a place called Skyoptics, at the time it was the best price I could find.

Guest Archminister01

I can recommend Osprey International as well. They have clean optics and are very affordable in a new scope. I use one on my AR and Ruger Mini 14. They had a nice one on Sportsman's Guide for less that $200 new.

Unfortunely, Osprey is kinda like Century guns, you pays your money and takes your chances. I have a 6x24 that will not clearly focus at 200 yards and another Osprey owner had to send his back for the same reason. I paid $185 for mine and consider it wasted money. There are mucxh better scopes out there for not much more money. BTW, the Osprey is being replaced with a 4.5 x 14 Leupold LR/T.

I have a bushnell tactical on one rifle and I like the Weaver tactical better. It is clear'er and tracts better IMO. The weaver is on my sps Tact. For $1,000 you can pick up a good used Leupold. Get the M1 knobs so you will have 1/4 clicks.

There is a US Optics ST10 on snipers hide right now for $999. For the money that would be the way that I would go. Kickass glass WTS or WTT US Optics ST10 $999 - Sniper's Hide Forums

Watch the hide and some good used scopes pop up on there... If you wan new then the others that you left out may be:

Sightron

Super Sniper ( & SS HD) Stay away from Counter Sniper

Weaver Tactical

I just bought a 700 sps tactical in .308 and put a Millet TRS-1 on it. I shot 20 rounds during the barrel break in process and haven't really sighted the scope in yet but it appears to have a solid build and the optics are awesome for the price ($300). My only complaint so far with the entire setup is that I bought too tall of rings. Medium rings with the 20 moa base sit up too high for me to get a good cheek weld.

I have a bushnell tactical on one rifle and I like the Weaver tactical better. It is clear'er and tracts better IMO.
Dollar for dollar Weaver has some of the best glass I've seen. I picked up a V16 on sale from Midway and was really surprised by how amazingly good the image quality was for the money. I have Leupolds that cost 4 times as much that don't have better glass. I've heard really good things about the Super Sniper scopes too, but haven't had a chance to use one.
Guest FroggyOne2

The best deal by far right now is the Vortex Viper 6.5 -20X50 at Cameraland .. Price.. 279.00 Vortex - Camera Land NY or the Vortex Viper 6.5 -20 X 44.. Price 249.00 Vortex - Camera Land NY

These scopes have a lifetime transferrable warranty and were twice the price.. they are going with a newer PST model so cameraland has been autherised to liquidate the stock that Vortex had in the wharehouse.. I have looked through these scopes.. and really like them. 68MOA windage and elevation. In fact I like them so much that when I get some money up.. I am buying one myself!!!!! And I am picky about optics.

Edited by FroggyOne2

I went with the Nikon Monarch 6.5x24x50 with warne base and rings. I found a motivated seller and got the entire setup at a large discount. I enjoy getting the super bargains, but I hate that people are so down on their luck that they are almost giving away their gear.