ANYONE USE MOZILLA FOXFIRE AS BROWSER?

ftncityfatboy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Chrome and Firefox still have the reports.

It probably was the Ads causes it, however like I have said, once a site gets on the black lists it is harder to get removed.

For pete's sake, please don't go around spreading baseless rumors about it being the ads. It was not the ads and you have no way of knowing whether it was or wasn't in the first place. All you're doing is spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt among people who will unfortunately take you as a subject matter expert and now fight against the ads on the site. If you're not the admin, there's no reason for you to even guess what's going on. Especially not publicly.

That said, the problem has been identified as bad code in the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) software that we use and it has been corrected. It was never an exploit; it was just code that Google -- in their infinite wisdom -- had determined could be used to unwittingly redirect folks to other sites if it conditions were absolutely perfect. In practice there was never a problem and never a risk. Google is just the 800lb gorilla and gets to swing its weight around whenever it damn well chooses.

It may take a few days for us to get off of this silly blacklist but we will get off of it.

Just be patient and spread the word. The RIGHT word.

Well, Dave, at least you still got all the money, glamour, women, and famous-ness of being a forum administrator going for you. Makes these stressful times all the more worth it. ;)

Guest mustangdave

I got the email in my home account from David...I'm running FIRE FOX on a MAC as I write this from work...I've not experienced any of the issues mentioned...I'll check my computers at home in about 30-35 minutes

It was never an exploit; it was just code that Google -- in their infinite wisdom -- had determined could be used to unwittingly redirect folks to other sites if it conditions were absolutely perfect.

Google wasn't the only one that did not like it, my Avast antivirus detected and blocked it as well.

Anyway, glad the problem has been found and fixed. Hopefully, Google will quickly take TGO off the "attack" list.

Guest Lester Weevils

Any blacklist change will probably take awhile to propogate.

I was getting the warning on IE 8 and Safari 5.0.2 and FireFox 3.5.8 in Ubuntu Linux 9.10. I am still getting the warning on all those browsers as of Monday evening.

Call me paranoid, but I won't disable any security on an ordinary browser. So I've been connecting to TGO on FireFox in a 'disposable' Unbuntu virtual machine running under Mac VMWare Fusion. If malware takes over the system, all it can do is trash the Ubuntu image on the hard drive, as far as I know. In that case, just delete that copy of Ubuntu and make another clone to run. Quick and easy.

Supposedly you can get even a little better security running a virtual machine off a CD image, so nothing can write to the system and it can't get corrupted. Every run is fresh off the uncorrupted CD. But I don't think there is much risk in this case. Just too paranoid to run with security disabled.

Odd...mine still won't work...

You may want to close the browser down completely. I changed the setting back to normal blocking, and refreshed only, I still got the attack message. I shut down Firefox completely, and the site came up fine when I reopened.

Edited by db99wj