Subcompact/Carry .45's ....

xRUSTYx

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ultra Carry Kimber is my primary carry. The quality is impressive and I've had no issues with it. The gritty grips, magwell, and stainless mainspring housing has been added. It has a good relationship with it's big brother.

45-001.jpg

Guest Halfpint

I have a Kimber Compact (Officer's grip, Commander slide) that's my EDC. I love it. Mitch Rosen ARG and a good belt, and it hides under a T-shirt without any hassle. Before that, it was a USP Compact .45 in the same holster, same position behind my hip. I literally won't leave the house without my Kimber these days -- and with it being my "perfect" carry size, I don't think that's going to change.

If it wasn't for driving a Mustang and having a 5" 1911 basically stab me in the butt when I sit down to drive, I'd carry a Government model all the time. They hide just as easily with an ARG or similar inside-the-waistband holster.

I had a Kimber Ultra Raptor II until recently. It was my carry gun. I would have kept it, but I did not like the alloy frame. Have you ever looked at a Nighthawk Custom T3? While not quite as small as the Kimber Ultra series, it is still a fantastic carry size. It is my carry gun now.

Guest IrishGuy

I carry a Glock 36. The 30 is about the same size and has a ten round mag instead of 6, but the 36 is slimmer and much easier to conceal. I put it in a slide holster and nobody knows I have one. It's a .45 caliber, its light, and its a Glock so it will never fail or jam on me. Plus they go for around 600 bucks which is hard to beat.

I had a Kimber Ultra Raptor II until recently. It was my carry gun. I would have kept it, but I did not like the alloy frame. Have you ever looked at a Nighthawk Custom T3? While not quite as small as the Kimber Ultra series, it is still a fantastic carry size. It is my carry gun now.

If money wasn't an option Mav, that would be an excellent choice. I just can't see myself spending that much $$$ on something that is larger than the Ultra Carry

I carry a Glock 36. The 30 is about the same size and has a ten round mag instead of 6, but the 36 is slimmer and much easier to conceal. I put it in a slide holster and nobody knows I have one. It's a .45 caliber, its light, and its a Glock so it will never fail or jam on me. Plus they go for around 600 bucks which is hard to beat.

Me and Glocks don't get along .... Had a bad experience with a Glock 17 that just left an overall bad taste in my mouth unfortunately ....

If money wasn't an option Mav, that would be an excellent choice. I just can't see myself spending that much $$$ on something that is larger than the Ultra Carry

Sorry if that came off as ostentatious. It was not my intention. Everybody has their price point at which they feel comfortable purchasing a handgun. While I might spend a little over $2k for a Wilson or Nighthawk, others think I am crazy. I guess I fall into that category when it comes to the top-end Wilson Supergrades. There is absoultely no way that I would ever spend $4600 for one of them, and I know a couple of people that have a few of them.

If you do buy a Kimber, I would recommend buying a used one. Being a former owner of two Kimbers, I think they are a little overpriced. If it is possible, I would recommend shooting an Ultra series Kimber before you buy one. When I saw an Ultra Raptor II, I had to have it. It was a fine gun, and I didn't have any problems with it. It was easy to conceal, and it was very light. However, due to the weight and size, the recoil sucked and the accuracy wasn't super fantastic. One might say that I need to take the lace out of my panties, but after shooting 50 rounds at the range I didn't want to shoot it anymore. Just my $0.02.

no worries mav :lol: I'm still pretty new to handguns, considering I moved from a state that was ANTI-GUN (ie: California)

I slowly starting to learn the calibers and types of guns I like. Been to the range quite a few times (even bought a year membership) and have tried to rent a multitude of handguns. Every .45 I have shot has been great. I don't mind the recoil, although I haven't yet tried it in anything short than 4" The worst handgun recoil I have felt to date has been the LCP. Even that wasn't incedibly bad ... If I didn't have a fixation on Micro/Sub Compact 1911's I would probably consider more full size models.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and insight mav! I really appreciate it :D