Who Carries Full Size?

CM1021

I'm getting ready to get my first carry pistol and I'm picking your guys brain that have done it for a long time to help me in my decisions...My question is carry a full size gun a good idea? My pistol choice for carrying is prob gonna be a glock22...if I DO go full size it will be with the compensator...So the reason I'm thinking about going full size is better accuracy, less recoil, when I'm not carrying it will be a night stand gun that my wife can shoot which is a big reason, and I just plain like full size guns...The only negatives is concealing it...I will go with an IWB holster to conceal...And I'm also not small at 5'9" 220lbs...

So let's hear what you guys think!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the Glock 19 is as easy to carry as the 17 and it easier to carry. I do not personally like compensated barrels for carry use in case of low light gunfight. The muzzle blast can really effect night vision IMO. Everyone might not have the same experience. I am fairly light sensitive.

To me the Glock 19 is as easy to carry as the 17 and it easier to carry. I do not personally like compensated barrels for carry use in case of low light gunfight. The muzzle blast can really effect night vision IMO. Everyone might not have the same experience. I am fairly light sensitive.

Thanks for the input...I never thought about the compensated barrel and the effect on night vision...

Carry the gun that works best for you. I know lots of people that carry tiny easy hid guns, but couldn't hit a barn when they use it. If you are using it for self defense, it makes sense to carry the one that you are most comfortable with and most accurate with. I only carry one of two guns...either a Beretta Cougar .45, or a Ruger SR9, 9mm. I like the power of the Cougar, but the SR9 holds 18 rounds vs. 9 for the Cougar. I prefer a side holster for the Cougar and a shoulder holster for the SR9. Try different guns if you can with different styles of holsters and see what is right for you. Good luck.004.jpg

003-1.jpg

Edited by luvmyberetta

I carry a Glock 22 every day, in an El Cheapo Fobus paddle holster OWB. I always wear untucked shirts of various kinds.

Most people are so oblivious to the world around them that they wouldn't notice a rifle taped to your forehead. I don't give any thought to the potential some sheep is going to make me.

The belt, I agree with what has been said, is 75% of the equation.

I carry a Glock 22 every day, .

I bet your G19 doesn't appreciate that!!

To the OP, personally I would stick compact models such as the 19 or 23. I don't think you will see a huge difference in accuracy and they are still big enough to use for nightstand duty.

Also, some people even shoot better with the subcompact models. YMMV

I meant to add that I personally like to carry as large a gun as is comfortable. For me the 22 is too big, but the 19/23 is very comfortable. Now I am basically speaking of IWB here, in OWB a 22 would probably be easy for me as well, but unless you want to buy multiple sizes the 22 for me would be a rarely wear type of thing. I have also carried a commander length 1911 both IWB and OWB in the past. As was already said carry what you feel comfortable with. For some the G22 works very well for their size. In fact I know several people who carry the G34. In the winter this is especially easy. Shoot both the 22 and 19 if that is the type of gun you want. I doubt you will find a lot of difference. But hey you are the one carrying it. Enjoy the journey.

Again though my take is to carry the biggest gun you are comfortable with in a variety of circumstances ad clothing options. For some that might be a G26 size. I don't carry smaller than a 26.

Edited by Warbird

I carry a full-size and it's not a problem with the right holster/belt combo. For me it's usually a G17 in a Custom Carry Concepts Versa-Clip on a 1.75" 5.11 casual leather belt. I'm a little taller and heavier than you and as long as you don't dress like a member of Kings Of Leon it's no big deal to stay concealed.

+ 1 on skipping the compensator, unless you're running around at an IPSC match with a red dot on top of it it's just not necessary.

Remember that weight matters more than size, a 17+1 G17 weighs the same as an empty 1911, and full-size is relative as while Glock calls it a full-size it's still really only about the size of a Commander-size.

Edited by CK1
I bet your G19 doesn't appreciate that!!

To the OP, personally I would stick compact models such as the 19 or 23. I don't think you will see a huge difference in accuracy and they are still big enough to use for nightstand duty.

Also, some people even shoot better with the subcompact models. YMMV

I go back and forth between my G19 and G22. They both fit pretty well my size and carry needs.

Thanks for all the input guys...I am leaning more towards a glock as of now...I'm going to go to shooters edge here in the next few weeks once they open and see what gun fits me the best and I can shoot the best...

Don't forget Tri-cities Gun Depot. I hear really good things about them, and they are a sponsor here on TGO

Get a quality double layer gun belt to carry whatever you decide. They make a world of difference.

+1. A good gun belt makes all the difference.

The only full size handgun I own is a Browning Hi Power. I have a hand made leather OWB holster that I can carry it in and conceal with no problem.

So I see all the guys saying a good belt is the basis...what's a good belt you guys like and recommend and what makes a good belt? Also I would think concealing and OWB would be hard to conceal...

A good gun belt will be made from two layers of leather, glued and sewn together. Some even have a Kydex strip sandwiched between these two layers for extra stiffness. If you can put your thumb on the top edge of a belt and your index finger on the bottom edge and bend the belt by squeezing it, it won't be a suitable gun belt.

A properly made ccw OWB holster can be concealed with a loose fitting t-shirt or polo.