TN permit holders vs those who actually carry

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to HCP class with my father on his birthday on a Saturday (my treat - no wonder I'm the best!) and filed my paperwork the next business day. When did his get filed? Literally the last day before his 6 months expired. His permit has been issued for about a year now and the only time I've seen him armed is at the range.

He seems to think he'll never need it.. that it will never happen to him. He's "thought" about carrying when going to Memphis. But, he wants the option in case there's ever madness in the streets and things are really wild. I remind him every other day that you carry because things go wrong when you don't expect.. nobody advertises bad intentions ahead of time.

Aren't we stretching a little calling permit holders sheeple? I agree that there's no such thing as safe areas anymore. There are certainly low risk areas and times of the day. I'm forced to be disarmed BY LAW in some risky places. I'm forced to be disarmed by my employers. If I could go through life armed 100% of the time, I would. Some folks are lucky that way.

I suppose it depends on what we're referring to. A person who has a gun permit who never carries a gun...I don't see that as any different than not having a permit and never carrying a gun. Never having a gun is never having a gun, regardless of what piece of paper you have in your wallet. I know quite a few people that have permits but literally never carry, by their own admission, because they never go anywhere they think they will need it. I have had someone once say to me that they had a permit but it had been so long since they had even taken the gun out to clean it they weren't sure where the gun was.

And yes, I understand there are people who can't or won't carry because of circumstances. In my opinion, the possibility of losing your livelihood or going to jail is a pretty decent reason for not carrying. Because it's too much trouble to carry except on a day where I think I'll need to stay alive...not so much, just my opinion, which is worth everything you paid for it.

Edited by robbiev
bonehead spelling error
Guest Desiel

Idk about other ppl but I have my permit and carry daily where ever I go... and also I work at a Harley-Davison Dealer and I know of quiet a few people that carry without a permit lol

Guest db99wj
Idk about other ppl but I have my permit and carry daily where ever I go... and also I work at a Harley-Davison Dealer and I know of quiet a few people that carry without a permit lol

Haha! I know that's right!

Guest Phantom6
I got my permit 3-4 months ago. So I carry pretty much all the time. In the truck console everyday, and on my hip as much as possible. However, I just wonder as time goes by, the new wears off of the "right to bear arms", and I (hopefully) never need it to defend myself, if I will start to strap it to my hip less and less?

It would be a shame to think that one of the last conscious thoughts you had in this world was 'damn, I should have brought my gun'.

Guest rheisinger

I feel naked (a horrible sight) without my firearm....ever leave home without one, sometimes two. If you are unfamiliar with a city or town,the GPS wont reoute you around some neighborhoods.

I have two guns on me everytime I leave the house. I cannot carry at work, but everywhere else i can legally carry, they are on my person. If I cannot legally carry ,I generally find somewhere else to hang out.
My dad's had his carry permit since this past winter, I think. He's carried, that I'm aware of, exactly once. I know of that one time because he was so proud of it that he told me about it. :poop:

I carry everywhere I'm able, and a few places that I'm really not supposed to. I don't carry to work because if I lose my job I might as well just die anyway, so I'm not gonna chance it.

I have a HCP & have it to carry a hand gun to protect my self & my family I do carry 99% of the time except in the shower or sleeping then my wepon is only 2 feet from me, to me it makes no sence to have a HCP & not carry. I do understand peoples work related problems BUT when your life depends on it call 911 and see how many times you can squeeze your finger before you get a responce.
never leave home without it,24/7.it is like the old condom rule it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!
The only time I do not carry is when I plan on drinking...
I feel naked (a horrible sight) without my firearm....ever leave home without one, sometimes two. If you are unfamiliar with a city or town,the GPS wont reoute you around some neighborhoods.
If I've got pants on, I've got a gun on....

But why do you think others get a HCP if they aren't going to carry?

Guest jackdm3

My grandmother went to get her prints done the second time around, and it was a pain because it took 4 trips because the prints wouldn't register. The gun my father bought for her was a nice Beretta Cheetah that proved too heavy, so she kept it in the side pocket of her Lazy-Boy. UNLOADED! In her situation, the answer to the OP's question is simple. The whole family got permits and she joined out of peer pressure to be included.

Erik, I have a permit, and don't regularly carry. I do carry sometimes. I really like guns, but don't feel in peril everywhere I go. I got a permit for the one odd occasion where I might have a gun on my person and asked about it by an LEO. As far as reality goes, I've nevere needed to shoot anyone, and know very few who have. I don't frequent places where trouble is a common occurance. I also attended the class because my wife didn't want to take it alone. She never leaves the house without her S&W. I usually have pretty quick access to a gun, but don't walk around everywhere with one on me. I'm proud for anyone who does, but I just don't find it comfortable.

I carry every day where ever I can legally carry. I also don't frequent places that make me think that I would need my gun in order to make it safely home. I don't remember that I have ever felt that I was in peril since I began to carry and its not because the gun has made me feel that I'm invincible. I understand that just because I carry doesn't guarantee anything. I may not survive an encounter where the gun is going to be necessary but I sure like my chances with it as opposed to being without it.

The main reason that I got my HCP and carry every single day is that my wife and I came home on a Saturday night at 8pm and there were 2 guys in our house. They had found a S&W 357 but instead of facing us, thankfully, they choose to go back out the window that they came in as we were coming in. Anyone that has ever been in that situation will know that you don't just go back to normal when everything has been cleaned up and you have the insurance check in hand. It's been close to 4 years and I still think about it every time I come home and I always go in before my wife even though we have an awesome alarm system.

I too am amazed that people get their permit but yet still have no desire to ever carry the gun.

Guest eyescream

I guess I wasn't clear. My dad got one, I have to imagine, because I got one. I think he also wanted to kind of give the finger, symbolically, to the Democratic party.

Guest Law of Thirds

I personally know of one person who has a HCP and does not own a firearm. Me, I feel naked whenever I can't carry. Not unarmed mind you, just without the best tool should the situation arise.

Why?????

I can think of a number of valid reasons:

1. They intend to purchase a gun but haven't yet, due to financial pressures or haven't made up their minds yet.

2. They knew nothing about guns prior to the class / permit process, and wanted to learn about it BEFORE they buy rather than after.

3. They took the class and submitted the fees, but after learning the various legal issues decided the risks of gun ownership/carrying outweighed the risks of being unarmed.

4. The got the permit "just in case" they later wanted to own/carry

5. They went with a friend / family member to the class to humor them but just didn't want to follow through.

The whole process / decision to be armed is not a cut and dried, 1-2-3 thing for a lot of people. Everyone has their own individual set of life experiences, fears, feelings, and beliefs that affect them differently than you.

I have a license to to ride a motorcycle but I haven't ridden or owned one in about 25 years.

From the deadbeat list:

Safety net for spouses/SO that can't get a permit. They still get a loaded weapon it their car.:shrug:

I can't legally carry or - the way I read the law - even have a firearm in my vehicle at work. This is in addition to employer rules against same. As I generally have to go to work five days a week and have only two to live my own life, the majority of the time I spend away from home I am either at work or on my way to and from work. As most of the places where I might need to stop off on a weekday are between work and home, I end up going unarmed to those places, too. Not because I don't want to be armed but because I don't want to lose my job, my permit and, possibly even the right to own a firearm. Now, when I get home and change clothes, one or more firearms are always part of my 'evening wear', whether we are going back out or not. I always carry wherever and whenever legal on weekends, as well.

My wife decided to get her permit earlier this year. Since receiving the permit, she has carried exactly once. None of the current carry options suit her. She shoots standard pressure .38 Specials from the .357 snub that belonged to her late father quite well and passed her permit class with it but won't carry it because of its size/weight/bulk. The only thing she might carry is my P3AT but she can't even put a full mag through it because the recoil hurts her hand and wrist too much - which pretty well precludes practicing to become proficient with it. She likes my NAA WMR mini but I don't feel comfortable with her using that as a full-time primary. She doesn't have all that much experience with firearms and I would be afraid of what might happen if she tried to use a tiny, single action revolver in a stressful situation. One of those might make a good BUG for her down the road when she gets more general experience. I carry mine as a BUG and I might leave mine in the car with her, sometimes - just in case - because I know she can shoot it pretty well as long as she gets the 'mechanics' right.

Mostly, she wanted to get her permit for those times I am going into a store and she is waiting in the car - either so I can leave my BUG with her in case she needs it or for cases where I have to go somewhere that prohibits carry. That way there is no question about the legality of leaving one or more firearms in the car with her.

That said, she really likes mom's Kel Tec P32. The recoil is enough less than the P3AT that it doesn't bother her, she is quite accurate with it and likes the size/weight. We currently have a first gen P32 on layaway for her. She says that she will actually carry it - at least sometimes - and I believe that she will.

Edited by JAB

I know a few people that have permits but don't own guns. This is the main reason I have heard, basically they may one day decide to get a gun so they went ahead and got the permit.

The other reason I have heard a few times is that they have the permit so there won't be any trouble if they get pulled over while transporting guns (regarding people that own guns only for target shooting purposes).

The main reason (that I have heard) for owning guns, having a permit, but never carrying I stated in a previous email: "I have a permit so I can carry a gun if I'm going somewhere I think I'll need it." Based on many conversations I have had when I was actively instructing, some people just don't ever go anywhere where they think they could ever encounter a problem. Clearly, crime only happens in certain neighborhoods.

Guest rsgillmd

1. They intend to purchase a gun but haven't yet, due to financial pressures or haven't made up their minds yet.

2. They knew nothing about guns prior to the class / permit process, and wanted to learn about it BEFORE they buy rather than after.

3. They took the class and submitted the fees, but after learning the various legal issues decided the risks of gun ownership/carrying outweighed the risks of being unarmed.

5. They went with a friend / family member to the class to humor them but just didn't want to follow through.

The whole process / decision to be armed is not a cut and dried, 1-2-3 thing for a lot of people. Everyone has their own individual set of life experiences, fears, feelings, and beliefs that affect them differently than you.

I have a license to to ride a motorcycle but I haven't ridden or owned one in about 25 years.

Two thumbs up.

I like this list, and I'll add that it could be more than one of the above. 1, 2, and 4 fit me initially.

For me, I took the class because I was curious about safely handling guns and because two of my colleagues commented once that they carry. I knew very basic information from when my uncle showed me how to handle a shotgun as a kid, but not much (I was only 6 after all). It turns out the only safety rule I learned in class, but my uncle did not teach me, was retrospectively obvious: keep your finger off the trigger until the target is in your sights. When I realized I knew the basic safety rules, being able to handle a gun on the range gave me the confidence to be able to carry without fear of accidental discharge.

I applied for the permit but did not immediately purchase a gun. I didn't want to make a large purchase without having tried several different guns and getting several different opinions.

I fit number 4 also, because initially I only wanted it for home defense. I figured the permit would make it easier for me to transport it between the apartment and the range. Conversations with my colleagues and paying more attention to the news convinced me to carry when I could. I still don't carry much because I'm not allowed to where I spend most of my time, but I do carry when I can.