Doctor pulled a gun on protesters.

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) -- Police have charged a physician who provides abortion procedures in Tennessee with pointing a gun at protesters outside a Charleston health care office.

The Post and Courier of Charleston reported that 62-year-old Gary Boyle of Blountville, Tenn., was released on $25,000 bail Saturday. There was no answer Sunday at a telephone listing for Boyle in his hometown and the clinic was closed.

&mpvc="]

According to a police report, Boyle pulled out a handgun when he was approached by three abortion protesters in the parking lot at Charleston Women's Medical Center in West Ashley. It was not clear whether Boyle was performing abortions at the Charleston clinic.

The protesters are participating in a "40 Days for Life" campaign in which they pray outside the clinic 24 hours a day from Sept. 22 through Oct. 31.

Why was he charged? I checked and he has a permit. 3 protesters coming at him probably not in a friendly manner. They need to be more specific.

Edited by Fallguy
Removed ad
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not going to get in to the obvious debate.

However, he probably have felt threated, possible that he was about to be attacked by 3 people. We have heard of doctors being attacked in the past. Sounds like another case of the wrong person being arrested and charged.

Guest Bronker
I am not going to get in to the obvious debate.

However, he probably have felt threated, possible that he was about to be attacked by 3 people. We have heard of doctors being attacked in the past. Sounds like another case of the wrong person being arrested and charged.

This.

Allot of Extreme protesters are not happy unless some people end up in jail, including themselves. Some consider it a badge of honor if they get arrested protesting something they believe in. To me it seems they may have pushed this matter to the point the doctor could have had a reasonable fear and he probably just wanted to de-escalate.

Watch this turn out to be some charge like going armed to a protest site or something like that.

Sort of like when they block off an area for a clan rally and make certain streets a no carry zone for protests.

Somehow, 3 people who have gathered to pray against an abortion clinic does not seem to be a life threatning situation to me. Yes, I am well aware of attacks and bombings, etc, against doctors and clinics. However, few if any of those were mentioned to have been done by persons holding a prayer vigil outside, much less a 24 hour, 30 day vigil!

It would be interesting to know the gender and ages of those the Dr threatened. It is quite possible the Dr just didn't want to deal with their agenda and figured he could shorten the confrontaion with a little show of force. Without more info I am not sure the wrong person was charged!

I think, perhaps, some might be letting their feelings about abortion (and those who provide them) color their opinion of this incident.

About the only thing we can really say right now is that based on what we actually know; there is absolutely no way to determine whether this doctor was justified to draw his weapon or not.

I think, perhaps, some might be letting their feelings about abortion (and those who provide them) color their opinion of this incident.

About the only thing we can really say right now is that based on what we actually know; there is absolutely no way to determine whether this doctor was justified to draw his weapon or not.

This^
Guest Bronker
I think, perhaps, some might be letting their feelings about abortion (and those who provide them) color their opinion of this incident...

ESPECIALLY THIS.

This is a gun-related story. Though the media may not...let us stick to that, friends.:up:

Edited by Bronker
I caint spel :)

Note that at least here, the almost constant protest across from the clinics on Concord, the protesters are not allowed on the clinics' properties, and that includes of course their parking lots....I'd suspect that the situation is similar to that everywhere.

- OS

Guest clownsdd

This is not a story about abortion, it's about whether a person has the right to defend themselves if they are threatened or feel so. I'm sure more details from both sides will be forth coming. Just my 2 cents.

It is very true like always we never have enough information here. we don't have both sides.

It is easy, being pro gun for many of us to want to be on his side and assume the crowd was aggressive. Maybe they were. We don't know. However if 3 of of them where going toward him, we need to know more. What time of day/night was it. were they being aggressive, threatening? Were they shouting? Were they getting physical and maybe blocking him?

I am not going to take side on the other argument. I know where I am. I thought about it many years ago and came to my own conclusions.

Edited by vontar

Remember just feeling threatened is not enough to use deadly force...at least not in TN.

....and just drawing the weapon is using deadly force...in TN at least.

The danger has to be imminent. Without knowing more about how the three approached him, there is no way to know if he reasonably feared imminent death or serious bodily injury.

However situations like this is why I wish TN had a law like AZ (I think) that allows and individual to say they have a weapon or even expose a concealed weapon if they are doing it to try and de-escalate a situation without being charged. However I don't think even the AZ law allows you to actually draw the weapon for that purpose.

Somehow, 3 people who have gathered to pray against an abortion clinic does not seem to be a life threatning situation to me. Yes, I am well aware of attacks and bombings, etc, against doctors and clinics. However, few if any of those were mentioned to have been done by persons holding a prayer vigil outside, much less a 24 hour, 30 day vigil!

It would be interesting to know the gender and ages of those the Dr threatened. It is quite possible the Dr just didn't want to deal with their agenda and figured he could shorten the confrontaion with a little show of force. Without more info I am not sure the wrong person was charged!

It was obvious they were not praying if they were approching the doctor.

Also,just because they were there praying doesn't mean they weren't being aggressive or acting in a life threatening manner. Some of the most dangerous people in the world today are those with the strongest religious beliefs, regardless of which religion. Religion is responsible for causing more deaths than anything else in this world. I am not saying religion is bad because it isn't. It is just when the extremists use their religion as an excuse to harm others who do not believe in the same things.

It is definitely too early to make a judgement call but I would have to side with the 62 year old doctor. I can see why he would be scared enough to pull a firearm if three protesters where approaching. I do not beleive he would be physically fit enough to fend three individuals who may have been trying to do him harm.

Dolomite

It appears the protestors are saying there was no confrontation. He simply displayed a gun when they walked up to his vehicle. He then walked into the clinic without incident. The protesters aren’t saying if there was anything said; and if the Doctor has a lawyer he has probably told him to keep his mouth shut (Which I believe is a mistake if he was in the right)

Obviously the investigating Officers recovered a gun or we would not know it holds 15 rounds.

We don’t know what he has to say. If he was inside his vehicle and pointed a weapon at them, and then got out and walked in the clinic; it will be tough for a reasonable person to believe he was in immediate danger of death or great bodily harm.

Of course everyone’s feelings about abortion will color their decisions on this. From the responding Officers, the DA, the Judge and eventually a jury; feelings on abortion will matter.

My first thought was did he call 911? If he didn’t and he tries to argue he had cause; he’s hosed.

My second thought was what happened that caused him to feel safe enough to put the gun away and get out and walk into that clinic?

Hers a story with a little more info….

Police: Abortion doctor pulls gun | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

Edited by DaveTN

Just because I have a gun permit doesn't mean I can point my gun at my neighbors as I move back and forth from my car to my house. The fact that some of you argue on the side of the permit holder, only shows ignorance on gun laws and general lack of respect for the public.

Now that more facts are coming out I can see the problem with what the doctor did. If he didn't call 911 then he wasn't in fear for his life and as such shouldn't have pointed the firearm at the protesters. Also, it is very telling the fact he left the safety of his vehicle and walked to the clinic.

I agree that he should have been arrested based on the new infomation.

Dolomite

Guest 6.8 AR
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) -- Police have charged a physician who provides abortion procedures in Tennessee with pointing a gun at protesters outside a Charleston health care office.

The Post and Courier of Charleston reported that 62-year-old Gary Boyle of Blountville, Tenn., was released on $25,000 bail Saturday. There was no answer Sunday at a telephone listing for Boyle in his hometown and the clinic was closed.

&mpvc="]

According to a police report, Boyle pulled out a handgun when he was approached by three abortion protesters in the parking lot at Charleston Women's Medical Center in West Ashley. It was not clear whether Boyle was performing abortions at the Charleston clinic.

The protesters are participating in a "40 Days for Life" campaign in which they pray outside the clinic 24 hours a day from Sept. 22 through Oct. 31.

Why was he charged? I checked and he has a permit. 3 protesters coming at him probably not in a friendly manner. They need to be more specific.

Probably? A bit subjective, aren't we? None were arrested.

Some people have strong feelings about life and peaceful protest isn't

against the law. Certain other classes do it all the time, without guns

being drawn.

This story isn't about an abortion clinic being bombed or an abortion

doctor being shot in a church, which may well be his alleged defense

in court.

If one of the protesters were arrested I might have some sympathy

for the Doctor, even with my view against abortions. It doesn't appear

to be the case, though. If he felt threatened while still in his car, he

could have been the one calling the police. He could have very well

been the one escalating this.

Not enough info to be that subjective.

Also,just because they were there praying doesn't mean they weren't being aggressive or acting in a life threatening manner. Some of the most dangerous people in the world today are those with the strongest religious beliefs, regardless of which religion. Religion is responsible for causing more deaths than anything else in this world. I am not saying religion is bad because it isn't. It is just when the extremists use their religion as an excuse to harm others who do not believe in the same things.

It is definitely too early to make a judgement call but I would have to side with the 62 year old doctor. I can see why he would be scared enough to pull a firearm if three protesters where approaching. I do not beleive he would be physically fit enough to fend three individuals who may have been trying to do him harm.

Dolomite

That the dumbest thing I read all week!! Just like GUNs are responsible for shooting everyone, right?? Coming from someone, me, who has some formal education in comparative religion, most if not all world religions have some level of ethics, morality, and peace superseding the status quo. Extremist in any group, sect, religion, country, race, club, organization, fraternity or anything of the kind could be dangerous. Religious extremist make the news.

Further more, the top worst genocides of the 20th century were all caused by atheist. Mao Ze-Dong, Jozef Stalin, Adolf Hitler, and Pol Pot (just to name some) killed over 115 million people and at the very best (for your argument) religions, or a lack of understanding them, have contributed to 1 million deaths.

Guest db99wj

40 Days for Life, by organization, is a peaceful movement. To say that the protesters were aggressive or confrontational and threatened this guys is making huge assumptions. Many times, as someone drives up near where the protestors are, a prayer will be said, possibly a pamphlet will be given, and comments stating that the person has other options might/will be made. Signs to that effect are being shown and held by the protesters. This is not an extremist organization or group.

It appears that there is really a limited amount of information on what the protesters did, but it is getting more clear, by the second article that DaveTN posted, that the fault is leaning toward the Dr. If more facts come out that the protesters were threatening him or saying things that could be construed as threatening, then that is a different story, but so far, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Extremist on either side are bad and give the legitimate sides a bad name. As gun owners and enthusiasts and 2nd Amendment supporters, we fight this battle daily, on how and where we can carry, why, because the extremist sides of things have hurt us all.

If this Dr flashed is gun to scare the protesters away from him, he needs to be punished, if the protesters were at fault, then they need to be punished. As I said, the stories don't tell specifics, but from the second one, it is sounding like the Dr. might be at fault.

Guest 6.8 AR

Dolomite

Yeh, and when extremists outside the religious domain, but founded in tyranny over masses,

as Partypilot demonstrated, and well documented throughout history, the bloodshed is much

worse. There appears something that ties all this together, not just your individual beliefs.

Just because decides to carry a firearm, which is legal, doesn't make the person automatically

justified in it's use. More needs to be known.

On a side note, does anyone know how many abortions occur each year? Food for thought.

I doubt Darwin would even agree with it.

Abortion Statistics

Answers.com - How many abortions per year in the US

Tell me that's not an issue. Looks like a lot of people are using it for birth control.

Whether or not this doctor agrees or disagrees with the issue, he is smack dab in the middle

of an issue that is very polarizing and he should be very careful with his weapon.

If the protestors were being violent and it turns out he was, in fact, in fear for his life, that's

one thing. We probably should wait and see, not argue the finer points of abortion.

I think that one's too easy.

Further more, the top worst genocides of the 20th century were all caused by atheist. Mao Ze-Dong, Jozef Stalin, Adolf Hitler, and Pol Pot (just to name some) killed over 115 million people and at the very best (for your argument) religions, or a lack of understanding them, have contributed to 1 million deaths.

I agree that those you have listed were heinous but over the millenia I would be willing to bet that religion was used as a justification to kill more than 1 million. The crusades were a religious war and by all estimates it alone was responsible for over 1 million, although not as high as what you mention but this is but one conflict in time. Now when you consider people are being killed everyday, and have been for millenia, because of their religion I suspect it is far more than 115 million.

Dolomite