Christmas PIF 2010

brooksjr

I did find this link which I have been going over this morning, Tennessee charities guide find a charity to donate or volunteer for child elderly homeless organizations and more..

While the total amount donated is a little discouraging, any amount that is sent to a good charity is a wonderful thing and should be commended. I would like to thank everyone who participated. May you all be blessed for your contribution.

A special thanks to brooksjr for administrating the PIF.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it still possible to donate? I just discovered this thread and (until this morning) wasn't aware of last year's effort.

Sorry I missed the thread guys, I too was unaware of last years effort and what PIF was. I should have investigated further. I will gladly contribute on the next venture.

Is it still possible to donate? I just discovered this thread and (until this morning) wasn't aware of last year's effort.

I am planning on meeting someone local this weekend that wants to give so I will except donations through Sunday morning. PM me if you want to take part.

How about considering Wilderwood Service Dogs Maryville Tennessee for a donation?

One of my kids goes to school with a child that has one of these animals. I think it's a charity/cause that doesn't get a lot of attention, but does a lot of good for the people it helps.

Wilderwood Service Dogs

“CHANGING THE LIVES OF FAMILIES, ONE DOG AT A TIME"

FAR-REACHING RESULTS, SPECIALIZING IN NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS DEDICATED SUPPORT AND SERVICE

We start with rescued puppies and young dogs and give them a purposeful life as a service dog. The happiest dogs are those with a job to do. Human handlers and their canine partners are among the most amazing and fulfilled teams anywhere.

GoliathGraduation028Med.jpg

We specialize in providing service dogs specifically trained to handle the challenges of Spectrum Disorders and other neurological impairments. Some include:

• Autism
  • Aspergers
  • Mental Health D/O
  • Dementia
  • Mild Mental Retardation
  • Brain Injury (traumatic or chemical)

Our dogs are a constant helpmate to you or your child... and any other place you may venture.

I should be sending out the gift cards today or Monday. There were only three requests, one of which had children. Since this year was down in both donations and request I took it upon myself to decide the results. I tried to mirror the amounts that our committee decided upon last year. Because of this the family with children will be receiving a $300 gift card to both Kroger and Wal-mart, while the other two will be getting a $200 gift card to Kroger. This leaves $1,755 to be sent to charity. I still need ideas on how y'all want the money split up for this. Should we send some to numerous charities or send it all to one?!

If anyone feels that I have been unfair with these results please let me know by pm or posting here.

I don't think anyone would think you are unfair with your decisions. I am still impressed with your administrating of this endeavor. Giving money is one thing. A few clicks of the mouse and a whopping whole minute of my time to send money is easy and doesn't really amount to all that much. If it wasn't for caring and compassionate people as yourself and others here to take their time to initiate and manage these type of charities, the world wold be a lesser place. So in short, thanks.

As far as the distribution of the remaining funds, I do not have any preference outside of one. I hope that whatever charity(ies) receive the money they are ones in which the bulk of the donation goes to those they claim to help not being eaten up in administrative expenses.

Ok guys the Kroger gift cards have been purchased and one of the three has turned it down because,

"Thanks for the offer. Where I live in Dayton, there is no kroger around. Also, I am already getting 200 a month in food stamps and am hardly spending half that on food. So, if you want to just donate the kroger card to your local church's food bank or what have you.
I need money more than I need food
and jobs are looking more and more promising as we go along.". I don't understand this but that's his decision. So now I need to find one other family that could use some assistance with FOOD for the holidays.

Edit: I jumped the gun on one and it has been resolved.

Edited by brooksjr

Wow! I don't get it. What needy family doesn't need food. Take that regular money and spend it on somethine else.

I have a family of four and some how we use more than $200 a week. All I can say is nothing.

I'm sure some homeless shelter will take the Kroger cards.

Wow! I don't get it. What needy family doesn't need food. Take that regular money and spend it on somethine else.

I have a family of four and some how we use more than $200 a week. All I can say is nothing.

I'm sure some homeless shelter will take the Kroger cards.

I must say that the I jumped the gun on the family that I previously mentioned above, edited the above post to delete that part, and the other is a single male.

There are stiil all those homeless families living at that campground at 231 and I40 near Lebanon I PM'ed you about.

I know my church is doing some help with them. If you want me to

look into it I can.

Yes please do!! I think we should find a "charity" in each of the three sections of Tennessee and split the money between them. The place that JPS suggested earlier with the service dogs is in Maryville, I believe, so that covers east TN. If we help the homeless families you mentioned that would take care of middle TN. So now we need suggestions from west TN.