BCM 14.5" Mid-Length AR Build - Pics

extremescene

img_5989-20101024-bcm-145-inch-mid-length-ar-15-2.jpgJust completed my first build with parts I’ve been collecting for the past 7 months… it was easier than I thought for the most part. I went with a complete upper from Bravo Company and built the lower using a stripped receiver I purchased from the Outpost Armory in TN. I got a great deal on a VLTOR stock and completed the stock assembly with BCM parts. I’ve read numerous accounts that an H3 buffer is incredible on this particular upper so I will give it a try and report my results.

The Magpul mid-length guards have been out of stock since I started looking 7 months ago and I didn't really want to spend the money on a nice quad rail… luckily, the MOE guards became available a few weeks ago and I could not be happier with them. They feel great and look much better than I anticipated.

img_5984-20101024-bcm-145-inch-mid-length-ar-151.jpg

The Parts:

• BCM 14.5″ upper with perm. flash hider, 1/7 twist chrome lined barrel
  • BCM Bolt Carrier Group and Charging Handle
  • YHM Stripped Lower
  • DPMS Lower Parts Kit
  • Magpul MOE Mid-Length Handguard
  • VLTOR Modstock
  • BCM Mil-Spec Extension Tube Kit with H3 Buffer

I followed the tutorials at Brownells and AR-15.com… very helpful! I didn’t have all of the “recommended†tools but I did just fine with a brass hammer and some punches. I should have taped a bit more to avoid some scratches but I’m overall pretty satisfied for my first lower build. I wish that I would have considered the color and smooth finish of the BCM upper when I purchased my lower, but it didn't enter my mind until I got home with it. It doesn't bother me as much as I feared it would but I will keep that in mind if I build another.

I’ve yet to decide on an optic or rear sight and will be getting the pad that goes on the VLTOR stock. I will probably tweak some accessories in the near future such as the grip and trigger guard.

Range report to follow!

UPDATE 11-25-2010: The rifle is nicely balanced and shoots fantastic! The magpul rear BUIS and the Aimpoint Comp C3 2 moa red dot complete the package and give a perfect lower 1/3 co-witness. I’m very impressed with the Larue Tactical LT-150 mount, it seems incredibly sturdy. I had realized in the first set of photos that my castle nut was on backwards, easy fix. I also swapped the stock trigger guard that came with the parts kit for the Magpul MOE version. I’ve got 220 rounds of cheap russian ammo through the rifle and zero problems so far. It’s amazing how smooth this rifle shoots!

I've been approached every day at the range by fellow members asking what caliber I'm shooting... they are surprised when I say .223. Apparently this rifle doesn't sound like most AR rifles for some reason, apparently louder and deeper. Maybe due to the shorter barrel or mid-length gas system... or both?

Added Parts:

• Aimpoint Comp C3 2 MOA
  • Magpul Rear Flip-Up BUIS
  • Larue Tactical LT-150 Aimpoint Mount
  • Magpul MOE Trigger Guard

bcm-145-mid-length-aimpoint-comp-c3-magpul-buis-05.jpg

bcm-145-mid-length-aimpoint-comp-c3-magpul-buis-09.jpg

bcm-145-mid-length-aimpoint-comp-c3-magpul-buis-03.jpg

Additional Photos and Info

Edited by extremescene
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get 120 rounds downrange with a cheap red dot temporarily mounted... this thing is incredible. I never imagined there could be so little recoil, but this setup shoots amazingly smooth. I'm likely going to put a troy folding sight on it and an aimpoint... just have to save a little first.

Called around and was unable to find a castle nut wrench locally so I broke down and ordered from buymilsurp.com. that is the one step holding me up right now... that and the damn rain!

I normally use a punch and hammer to tighten the castle nut. It has worked dozens of times for me with no problems or them working loose. I do own a castle nut wrench but I still prefer to use a punch and hammer

Dolomite

Nice rifle. I assembled a lower yesterday. I bought a set of roll pin punches awhile back. I used one that was long enough to clear the end of the receiver when installing the bolt catch roll pin. I still taped up the receiver. It worked much better than tapping the pin directly with the hammer.

• 3 weeks later...