The midterms may have saved a superpower -- an excellent political analysis!!

All:______________

Here is an article that is worth reading from the UK Telegraph no less:

The midterms may have saved a superpower: Americans say no to US decline

By Nile GardinerWorld Last updated: November 3rd, 2010

The Republicans have taken the House of Representatives.

Tonight’s emphatic conservative House victory in the US midterms is a powerful rejection of President Obama’s handling of the economy and his Big Government agenda, including his controversial healthcare reform plans. The conservative revolution has been largely spurred by disenchantment with the federal government, and a strong belief in limited government, lower taxation, and reduced public spending, as well as a desire to return to America’s Founding principles.

It is also a powerful rejection of American decline, currently being fueled by massive debts at home, weakened defences and a defeatist foreign policy. The federal debt has jumped from 40 percent of GDP in 2008 to 62 percent by the end of this year, the highest percentage since World War Two.

As I noted several weeks ago, when I wrote of the consequences of an unchecked presidency acting with impunity:

Under the Obama White House, economic decline, feckless borrowing and towering debts, which will rise dramatically further if hugely expensive health care reforms are implemented, are combined with a flawed foreign policy and national security strategy which is leaving America weaker on the world stage and more vulnerable to attack. From its decision to scrap Third Site missile defences in eastern and central Europe, to its failed policy of engagement with Iran and its timetable for withdrawal from Afghanistan, the Obama presidency is projecting dangerous weakness and compromise in the face of its enemies.

Ultimately, President Obama’s legacy to America will be the decline of a great superpower, weighed down by crushing debts and massive entitlement programs, and facing an emboldened set of adversaries, from Moscow to Tehran to Pyongyang. The damage inflicted by the Obama administration will ultimately be worse than the harm caused by the presidency of Jimmy Carter due to the scale of the long-term economic crisis now facing America.

The overwhelming repudiation of the Obama administration’s failing policies sends a clear message to the world that the American people will not accept the decline of the world’s most powerful nation. Now the hard part begins, and a very top priority for the new Congress must be reigning in the ballooning national debt, which the Congressional Budget Office predicts could rise to 87 percent of GDP by 2020, 109 percent by 2025, and 185 percent of GDP by 2035.

While the Conservative-led government in Great Britain has already embarked upon a $130 billion austerity cuts package, shedding nearly 500,000 public sector jobs, the US administration has defiantly remained with its head in the sand, while still talking in terms of further stimulus spending. That position is unsustainable. Dramatic spending cuts (with the exception of national defence) must also be coupled with a pro-growth agenda of lower taxes, private sector job creation, free trade and economic freedom.

After the immense damage of the last two years, the midterms have offered the United States an opportunity to reverse course and get back on its feet. The world needs a powerful, successful, dynamic and prosperous America, where individual liberty and freedom are the driving forces, rather than the overbearing deadweight of federal government.

The American people have spoken, and the White House must be held to account.

Link here: The midterms may have saved a superpower: Americans say no to US decline – Telegraph Blogs.

Overall, an excellent article.

Leroy

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England has already been through this and has seen the light to some extent. So they are looking at us through the lens of experience. Unfortunately Obama and the Dems seem to ignore the lessons of history and charge forward with their ideological crusade. Some have feared that the new layout of the American federal government, with the GOP in charge of the house and the Dems in charge of the Senate will lead to gridlock. I for one HOPE it will. The last thing we need is more bills passed. Bills mean money. What we need is bill repealed, government shrunk, taxes lowered, and the American people empowered. Unfortunately that won't happen until we have true Constitutional Republicans running all three branches of government. Maybe in '12.

It's not the White House that must be held to account. It's our elected representatives. The White house can do little without congress.

Now is not the time to gloat like Beck would have you believe. Our work is just beginning. We MUST continue to voice our opinions and demand that those who represent us truly do what we ask them to. They must be held accountable. They fear our anger and we cannot back down.

Me thinks it is foolish to see the republican's as saviors of this country. They were well on their way to sending this place down the crapper before the last POTUS election. Only thing that changed was the speed of the trip. The destination never changed.

Guest mosinon

I don't think the White House is the problem here. The problem is the general attitude towards cuts in spending. You say you want less government spending and everyone agrees with you. I certainly do.

Then some one proposes to cut the military. People go crazy. Not only does the military protect the country it is a veritable fount of jobs. Can't cut that. Plus we've got a war going on and all.

Fine. Can't cut the military. Fair enough. Let's cut medicare and medicaid.

Whoa buddy, you can't cut that. Those folks need their health care!

Okay, let's cut Social Security.

Well that's just crazy talk. The government promised that money to us! (they did) you cut that and you're ripping off the American people! (you have that right)

Well you could cut welfare, no work no eat and all, but that doesn't help the budget much at all. What about cutting government waste? You won't get there. There are three areas where the money goes and the rest are chump change. So which one are folks ready to cut? Defense, medicare or Social Security?

Good luck on getting elected or re elected when you tell folks that something specific is going to be chopped.

It's not the White House that must be held to account. It's our elected representatives. The White house can do little without congress.

Now is not the time to gloat like Beck would have you believe. Our work is just beginning. We MUST continue to voice our opinions and demand that those who represent us truly do what we ask them to. They must be held accountable. They fear our anger and we cannot back down.

I disagree. They won't need you again for at least another 24 months. They will start pushing buttons again in about 12 months. They no longer realize that it is supposed to be public service. It is all about them in both parties.

Me thinks it is foolish to see the republican's as saviors of this country. They were well on their way to sending this place down the crapper before the last POTUS election. Only thing that changed was the speed of the trip. The destination never changed.

+1

I don't think the White House is the problem here. The problem is the general attitude towards cuts in spending. You say you want less government spending and everyone agrees with you. I certainly do.

Then some one proposes to cut the military. People go crazy. Not only does the military protect the country it is a veritable fount of jobs. Can't cut that. Plus we've got a war going on and all.

Fine. Can't cut the military. Fair enough. Let's cut medicare and medicaid.

Whoa buddy, you can't cut that. Those folks need their health care!

Okay, let's cut Social Security.

Well that's just crazy talk. The government promised that money to us! (they did) you cut that and you're ripping off the American people! (you have that right)

Well you could cut welfare, no work no eat and all, but that doesn't help the budget much at all. What about cutting government waste? You won't get there. There are three areas where the money goes and the rest are chump change. So which one are folks ready to cut? Defense, medicare or Social Security?

Good luck on getting elected or re elected when you tell folks that something specific is going to be chopped.

I am all for cutting the part of the military budget that keeps troops permanantly stationed overseas.

Quick rave:

Really think we could pay it down in 10-20 years with Fair Tax and just normal "efficiency expert" type cutting.

$700 Billion TARP kind of hurt, especially when it mostly bailed out criminals complicit in crime with capitol hill.

Get every dime of that back, however you can.

Foreign aid (that we know about) is about 23 Billion/yr. Zap it.

Dept. of Education budget is 69 billion/yr. Zap it.

Probably at least a couple of other cabinet departments could be eliminated, figure another 100 billion combined.

Iraq and Afghanistan, both due to no more than W's desperate erection, are around 250 Billion/yr.

We're looking at about half a TRILLION per year right off the bat. That would make a pretty good dent in the deficit.

And you KNOW there's at least another quarter trillion in chaff here and there.

That would at least get us down in the general ballpark of balancing income (about 2.3 trillion) with outgo (about 3.5 trillion).

Most estimates of the Fair Tax show that the gov would get more revenue than by taxing everyone in the US at a 30% income rate, and would possibly DOUBLE federal income. Not to mention that it would eliminate 95% of the IRS, another paltry 11 billion, but still pretty good pocket change.

Matter of fact, I predict that the next GOP nominee will run on basis of instituting the Fair Tax. But of course, it won't actually be enacted; the IRS is how the government actually controls the populace, and it won't give that up, Tea Party be damned.

To address your three areas:

Obviously, reforms in all aspects of "welfare" must be instituted, including strict immigration policies and enforcement -- in short, the US must stop financially rewarding failure and punishing success.

Worldwide military presence must be re-evaluated, and let's be honest about why we are where we are. If we're somewhere to protect the oil flow, let's by God do it and be up front about it, otherwise we are not the World Police. Plus, let's be frank, we've supported the Bad Guys about half the time anyway through the last 100 years.

Social security would have been fine if Congress had left it alone in its own retirement fund, would have earned its way no prob, but of course there's really no money there, 'cause they spent it all as part of the general budget years ago. So yeah, there will need to be some cut off point where folks are simply paid back what they put it with interest and the program ended. It doesn't even provide starvation living anymore anyway.

Again, just a quick diatribe, but I truly think it could be done with a relatively painless lowering of "quality of life" to most Americans over a decade or at most, two -- the alternative is ultimately going to be something that NO American will want to face.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest mosinon
I am all for cutting the part of the military budget that keeps troops permanantly stationed overseas.

you and I agree on that. heck, I expect most people agree on that. But I doubt you'll find any politician who follows through on getting troops out of country X. Not that the politicians are inherently wrong but because that is an easy attack ad:

Mosinon voted to keep troops out of Europe. Why does Mosinon hate the US? Vote Underbite, he'll keep you safe.

AS much as everyone complains about politicians no one ever seems to understand that they get what they want. Blaming people who kow tow to what you want is like spanking your child for doing what you told them to.

Here's my take. They stopped the Democratic agenda, but they don't have the power to push their own. You need a senate majority, or heaven forbid, cooperation between the two parties. Recon the Dems are going to remember all those filibusters? Congress is either going to do a little of what it's supposed to do, or it won't do anything. It ain't gonna turn into a Beck utopia.

Well I'm honestly hoping only for small gains. If the Tea Party/Repubs can manage to get a few things done for the positive, even with Dem help, but take the credit I think we'll see an all Rep take over in 2012. Hopefully not the same tired old Bush Reps either. I'm not overly optimistic for America because, let's face it, the only way to get OUR country back is to ship the libs off to Canada, seal the borders, destroy everything that's been built and start the hell over.

ship the libs off

back in the day people like Adam's, Franklin, Jefferson etc.. were considered liberals. Those who wanted to stay on England's tit and keep on with more of the same old same old were considered conservatives. Funny how things change.

OS your diatribe is good advice. You ought to be a presidential advisor. Seriously.

back in the day people like Adam's, Franklin, Jefferson etc.. were considered liberals. Those who wanted to stay on England's tit and keep on with more of the same old same old were considered conservatives. Funny how things change.

OS your diatribe is good advice. You ought to be a presidential advisor. Seriously.

I've found it very funny that in the past 24 hours or so after the election that all the liberal democrats seem to have completely forgotten that they have had control of things for 4 years, not two.

I've found it very funny that in the past 24 hours or so after the election that all the liberal democrats seem to have completely forgotten that they have had control of things for 4 years, not two.

Convenient memory isn't it?

I hope something changes, unfortunately I don't see it coming. The next two years will be all about getting re-elected, for both parties.

I do believe blood will have to be spilled for any real change to happen.

Convenient memory isn't it?

I hope something changes, unfortunately I don't see it coming. The next two years will be all about getting re-elected, for both parties.

I do believe blood will have to be spilled for any real change to happen.

Probably.

+1

+2

That said, to be fair, the Dems have been in control of our out-of-control spending for a while now.

As an eternal optimist, I have hope that these newly elected R's will actually be fiscally conservative, though nothing in recent history would back that...

You all know how I feel about all polititians. They are all lying pieces of crap. That being said. The republicans and tea partiers wanted this mess, they got this mess so fix it or shut the f@$k up. Presumptive speaker Boner ( yeah BONER) is already starting to soften up after 2 years of talking crap. I was listening to Rush yesturday and there was a woman on the show that heard the same thing in Boners victory speech. None of these people want to led. Most in both parties just like the idea of having a title/power.

Well I'm honestly hoping only for small gains. If the Tea Party/Repubs can manage to get a few things done for the positive, even with Dem help, but take the credit I think we'll see an all Rep take over in 2012. Hopefully not the same tired old Bush Reps either. I'm not overly optimistic for America because, let's face it, the only way to get OUR country back is to ship the libs off to Canada, seal the borders, destroy everything that's been built and start the hell over.

Dude, we never had our country to begin with. The American congress needs to do its job.

You all know how I feel about all polititians. They are all lying pieces of crap. That being said. The republicans and tea partiers wanted this mess, they got this mess so fix it or shut the f@$k up. Presumptive speaker Boner ( yeah BONER) is already starting to soften up after 2 years of talking crap. I was listening to Rush yesturday and there was a woman on the show that heard the same thing in Boners victory speech. None of these people want to led. Most in both parties just like the idea of having a title/power.

Boner knows that we'll fire his ass too if things don't get done for a change. They need to focus on their jobs.