.38 special ammo from Georgia Arms

I prefer not to order ammo online, but the cheapest .38 special at my LGS is almost $22. No Walmart within a reasonable distance has any at all, and the big gun shop in the next town is still more expensive ($18) than online. And that's for the cheapest brands.

I heard about GA on here and ordered 250 rounds. I shot 75 of them today. I am impressed! It's very accurate, I was getting 4" groups at 10 yds with a Ruger SP101 that I'd never shot before.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've used the Georgia Arms 148 grain wad cutters in 38 special over the years and found it to be good stuff. It's loaded to target

velocities; but its supposed to be. I like it. We've probably burned up 200 to 300 rounds.

Hope this helps.

Leroy

I advise against any of the cowboy load stuff. Don't be tempted because it's so cheap.

Like shooting low velocity bottle rockets unless you shoot from rifle.

I got 100 of the 158 gr "factory loads", 100 of the 158 gr SWC +P, and 50 of those 125 gr "cowboy loads" that OS mentioned. I hope the cowboy loads at least do okay @ 10 yds for target practice.

They all came out to $14.10 (w/ S&H) per bag of 50, so if one bag out of 5 sucks, at least I'm not out too much.

... and 50 of those 125 gr "cowboy loads" that OS mentioned. I hope the cowboy loads at least do okay @ 10 yds for target practice. ...

Good luck...I saw 8 inch random deviation at 7-10 yards out of snub SP101. Little better, but not much out of 4.5" Blackhawk.

Steadied down on monopod, too. Another guy got about same results, just making sure wasn't me.

Besides the slow fps, it was like the powder either burned so slowly/incompletely or inconsistently that the bullet seemed to get thrown up/down/right/left. Or something.

50 yards out of Marlin lever rifle, did fine, so I suspect it's mostly incomplete combustion out of short barrels. Which kind of begs the question as to what the market exactly is for these, as cowboy shooters sure wouldn't put up with that through their pistolas.

And this was about a year ago, although I still have a bag or two of them.

Nice nickel covered cases, though. :confused:

- OS

Well darn, I was hoping you had decent results up close.

I won't throw them away or anything. I'll let my son shoot 'em up. He just likes shooting & doesn't seem to even aim at the bullseye anyway, LOL.

Anyone know if the nickel-plated cases can be reloaded?

Well darn, I was hoping you had decent results up close.

I won't throw them away or anything. I'll let my son shoot 'em up. He just likes shooting & doesn't seem to even aim at the bullseye anyway, LOL.

Anyone know if the nickel-plated cases can be reloaded?

Maybe it was just a bad run of powder or something there for a while. Bought them at show that GA appeared at, back during the tail end of the ammo shortage.

I don't reload, but know that yeah, you can reload the nickel cases. Some say they are a little more brittle around the open lip and will split before plain brass ones will, due to repeated resizing.

- OS

edit: just a few topics down in this same topic forum:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/48940-reloading-nickel-brass.html

Edited by OhShoot
For .38 special I have been using Blue Bunny 158gr LRN It can be found for around 12.00 a box here in Nashville.

I haven't heard of this ammo, but I'd give it a try. I just wouldn't want to be seen with a box of ammo that says "Blue Bunny" on it, LOL

Where can I find it that cheap?

<edit> Never mind, I see where I can get it. I didn't realize that was a 20 round box. Still curious about the price for the "Plinky" rounds for practice. I read that they are around only 95 gr and move at a mere 550 fps. I guess it'll be good enough for practicing trigger control and reloads.

Edited by BigK
I haven't heard of this ammo, but I'd give it a try. I just wouldn't want to be seen with a box of ammo that says "Blue Bunny" on it, LOL

Where can I find it that cheap?

<edit> Never mind, I see where I can get it. I didn't realize that was a 20 round box. Still curious about the price for the "Plinky" rounds for practice. I read that they are around only 95 gr and move at a mere 550 fps. I guess it'll be good enough for practicing trigger control and reloads.

The stuff I get is in 250 to 500 rd lots. It is 158gr LRN. i think you can buy it 50 at a time. The 20 round box is PD ammo.

Maybe it was just a bad run of powder or something there for a while. Bought them at show that GA appeared at, back during the tail end of the ammo shortage.

Well, I shot up half of those Cowboy Loads this weekend. They weren't as good as the 125 gr Remingtons I bought or other GA ammo I have, but I'm glad they weren't as bad as the ones you got.

I shot 10 rds at 5 yds & managed a 4" group & got about a 6" group with same number of rds at 10 yds. Since their other $11.50 ammo is much better, I won't be buying any more of these. I just thought I'd let you know how it went.

You won't believe me based on the experience you had, but for grins I shot the other 5 rounds from 45 ft at the center bull on a Hoppe's A17 target (http://www.opticsplanet.net/hoppes-50-ft-11-bulls-10-1-2x12-target-a17.html). Admittedly, I was resting my hands on an upside down 5 gallon bucket on the shooting bench, but I was still happy to be in the circle with 3 out of 5 shots. One of those 3 was even 1/2" from dead center.