Minor Glock Project

gunrunner32

So I decided that I needed to take a new Glock 30SF and get rid of the "Austria" and ".45 Auto". I asked around and got pointed in the direction of using Devcon to fill the stamping. I hate stamped metal, it flairs up around the stampings and makes refilling a pain. So after an hour of so of sanding (Dremel crapped out on my last project) and getting down to 400 grit it was smooth. Now time for the Devcon, I mixed the 2 part epoxy and began to float the stampings (kinda like doing drywall but with a toothpick). Along with all that I then began the prep work for recoating. All media blasting was done before the sanding and floating. I recoated it with a nice combat black (one thing to keep in mind I was messing around and taping off the sights and noticed that the masking tape I was using discolored the Glock factory finish.) Once done this Glock will be a tribute to the Entertainment Services division of CAT. Here's what I ended up with so far:

IMG_0374.jpg

Finished pictures will be later. Also I want to thank GunTroll for telling my about Devcon and allowing me to use his stuff. He is a great guy to deal with.

Edited by gunrunner32
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I decided that I needed to take a new Glock 30SF and get rid of the "Austria" and ".45 Auto".

Why? Just wondering.

Good work though; Looks as though it was never there.

Why?

I am creating a tribute peice to the guy who started the Entertainment Services division of CAT (Caterpillar). He is my friend's dad and this is a Christmas present for him from his son...after it passes through my hands. With filling in the stampings it gives me a longer surface to work with and gives the peice more of a custom feel. I'll be posting the pictures once it's done. Right now I'm battling my computer trying to vector the images I've created for it, as well as other images for other Christmas presents.

This is an interesting project and there is more to it than meets the eye really. Look around for any type of metal filler that is used in gunsmithing....there really isn't one that it readily used other than tig/mig welding it according to those "in the know" The reason is that most folks who do custom work like this usually work in blue and walnut.

There really isn't a big body of gunsmithing knowledge on filling unwanted dovetails, stamped billboards, etc with respect to the latest generation of guns that use polymer and paint as their exterior finish. Look around on the interwebs a bit....lots of talk, but very little actual knowledge.

Devcon has been used for some while now for a bedding material. this means it can take the heat and a pounding. I see no reason why it couldn't also work as a top notch filler also. Let us know how it holds up after a couple of shooting sessions and hot/cold cycles. If it holds up you are really onto something.

While it looks like a well done job, I, like others, have difficulty seeing the point? It doesn't suddenly change it from Austrian manufacture, or .45 chambering. I could be mistaken, but isn't removing the caliber stamping illegal? I thought that was on firearms by law.

All serial numbers on the barrel, slide and frame are still intact. For those of you still questioning why I did this, it is for a Duracoat job for a friend. I wanted a smooth surface to work with so the stampings wouldn't work against the graphics I would later be spraying on the slide. I was just simply showing off a little and seeing some input on what others thought.

Guest The Highlander

I like the look of the smooth slide. Wouldn't mind having one of my Glocks go a little custom for the heck of it. Just gotta pick which one, and what to do to it. I've seen a couple with the markings bead-blasted off, but never one filled. Nice.

As for removing the markings, the only thing you can't remove legally is the serial number, anything else is fair game.

So I decided that I needed to take a new Glock 30SF and get rid of the "Austria" and ".45 Auto". I asked around and got pointed in the direction of using Devcon to fill the stamping. I hate stamped metal, it flairs up around the stampings and makes refilling a pain. So after an hour of so of sanding (Dremel crapped out on my last project) and getting down to 400 grit it was smooth. Now time for the Devcon, I mixed the 2 part epoxy and began to float the stampings (kinda like doing drywall but with a toothpick). Along with all that I then began the prep work for recoating. All media blasting was done before the sanding and floating. I recoated it with a nice combat black (one thing to keep in mind I was messing around and taping off the sights and noticed that the masking tape I was using discolored the Glock factory finish.) Once done this Glock will be a tribute to the Entertainment Services division of CAT. Here's what I ended up with so far:

IMG_0374.jpg

Finished pictures will be later. Also I want to thank GunTroll for telling my about Devcon and allowing me to use his stuff. He is a great guy to deal with.

Nicely done - will be interested to see your final work.

• Administrator

Hmmm. I want to like it and am appreciating it for the purpose of the project as you related it... however, the Entertainment Services lettering appears to be kind of crooked and that is just kicking my OCD right in the jewels. Is that just a trick of the camera angle? :)