i have a question??

i dont know if this is posted any where else,but there is to many post to view them all i am a recent hand gun carry permit holder and i was wondering if you have ever been in a situation with law enforcement and how they reacted to you having your permit?i guess what im asking is do they ask to take your gun,do they freak out,etc i know every situation is differant but i wanna be prepared,also does open carry make other citizens feel uncomfortable, i carry a glock 27 and its kinda hard to hide?any comments would be greatly appreciated

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry a Glock 23 no problem concealing it either. I'm not a big guy but usually a jacket or oversized pullover conceals pretty well. If anyone sees the bulge they think it is either my cell phone or leatherman. So far haven't had anyone notice if i was printing or not.

Don't recommend open carry either. Look into the maxpedition packs or a fanny pack if you have a real problem concealing.

Never had a problem with cops noticing, ( either i look like a cop to them or i've just been lucky). Me thinks it's because i'm just lucky. But that is what the permit is for right?

If you just don't fiddle with it when you're out or adjust it all the time, nobody will notice a thing.

well im only 145 pounds im very skinny and i have a black hawk serpa level 2 holster i mean i wear tight fitting cloths its kinda hard to hide

See avatar, that's XD SC IWB, same size as G27, hides very well.

Go a size up in pants and try IWB.

We're an open carry state, so no big deal if a LEO sees your gun, assuming you aren't somewhere with it unlawfully.

However, if you want everyday folks not to see it, consider IWB like most who conceal carry anything bigger than will fit in the pocket.

- OS

i dont know if this is posted any where else,but there is to many post to view them all i am a recent hand gun carry permit holder and i was wondering if you have ever been in a situation with law enforcement and how they reacted to you having your permit?i guess what im asking is do they ask to take your gun,do they freak out,etc i know every situation is differant but i wanna be prepared,also does open carry make other citizens feel uncomfortable, i carry a glock 27 and its kinda hard to hide?any comments would be greatly appreciated

I carry a G19 OWB and can cover with loose shirt and sometimes in winter I pull out and carry my old reliable Ruger P89 and can also cover with a jacket/coat. I also agree with the OP - open carry, while a right, is not adviseable for many reasons. Also, as noted elsewhere, the small bump G27 would make would not draw attention.

And a LEO will not hassle you if you are not doing anything wrong. But I also think most people, even if you had a gun on your hip, are not likely to notice unless they are LEO or otherwise keyed to look for such things. People pay little attention to others in most situations.

well im only 145 pounds im very skinny and i have a black hawk serpa level 2 holster i mean i wear tight fitting cloths its kinda hard to hide

I would recommend a different holster. Tomorrow.

The serpa has some major issues. The release jams very easily when any debris gets behind it and it has been a factor in several negligent discharges.

Mike

well i like open carry ,every one has there opinion on it, but i thank u all for the input,as i am not against open carry i also would like to not be noticed ,so i also have a 380 with back holster.and i will look into getting a inside the pants for my g27

well i like open carry ,every one has there opinion on it, but i thank u all for the input,as i am not against open carry i also would like to not be noticed ,...

Just a note, I think you mean OWB carry (Outside The Waist Band - belt slide holster, paddle, whatever).

"Open Carry" means just that, gun carried openly, with no attempt to conceal at all.

- OS

Shooter, I don't believe the Serpas have had anymore problems then those Glocks that shoot people in the buttocks. I have have used two of them for over a year with my Sigs and have had no problems. Google "Serpa holster problems" and read a few threads on them.

Loose shirts, not tucked and larger pants size for IWB works well.

The problem isnt the cops, its the antigun idiots who call them in "hes got a GUN!" or the uninformed. Then they *have* to see your carry permit or at least approach you and talk. Cops vary, some of them very much dislike armed citizens, others are fine with it. Its best not to deal with this. Worse, you make yourself a target for a bad guy wanting to steal your gun. Worse, if you were in a situation, you have no chance to suprise the bad guy, he knows you have a gun, and if you make a move, you die. Why bother? Hide the darn thing, and if you can't, get a smaller one that you can hide.

When I first started carrying (concealed), I was thinking I was wearing a flashing neon sign that says "THIS GUY HAS A GUN!!!". I realize now that most people in a store, if asked, would say "what guy?" The more I wore it, the less I'd fidget with it. A G27 isn't heavy compared to a full-sized steel framed .45, but it's not exactly a mouse gun. There's enough weight to cause the belt/waistband to sag unless you get a good stiff belt. Once I added a gun belt to my setup, I found that I didn't fidget with my holster as much becasue I didn't need to keep readjusting it. Because the holster is kept in place better, I trust that my shirt remains tucked in, or not hung on the grip if I'm untucked, so I don't feel like I have to do the shirt-tail tug everytime I stand up from a chair.

Here's a thread that may help you see various ways of concealing. Some stuff won't be applicable since her videos are tailored for women. Based on your size and clothing preferences, the basics that she discusses will apply.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/women-firearms/47009-ccw-video-women.html

I carry a Glock 22 in the 3 O'clock position in a Cross Breed supertuck. Hides well (especially if you are wearing a jacket), and is very comfortable. I have a Serpa that I use around the house (when I don't care about concealment), and it doesn't hide anywhere close to the Crossbreed. No frightened women, children, or liberals yet. No MWAG calls either. I've not had a run in with LEOs while armed yet, so I can't say about that.

I carry a G19 in a Serpa Level 2 holster on a daily basis... You're going to hear a lot of anti-owb/open carry arguments here on TGO... There are very valid points to trying to carry concealed if possible...

My style of dress generally does not support concealment of a compact firearm such as the Glock 19, I wear slacks and a tucked in dress shirt, this makes truly concealed carry very difficult for me. (I know all about tuckable holsters and they're uncomfortable POS in my opinion)... When I have a choice, I cover up... I wear a 'Shoot me vest' or a jacket when possible... I'm in my mid-30's I'm not going to change my style of dress just to carry a firearm to protect myself, people who suggest you buy bigger clothes, or change your style of dress are wrong IMHO.

Now, here is my general rule in life, it's better to open carry than it is to leave your firearm at home. Even with the 'disadvantage' (which there is no scientific proof of) of open carry, it's better to be armed than disarmed.

So I tend to open carry a lot... almost daily, in all sorts of environments... I've come in contact dozens of times (probably nearly 100 different officers) with LEO's, I've NEVER been approached, not once, never been asked if I even have a HCP, and for sure have never had my firearm taken for 'officer safety'. I've only once been approached by anybody else, and that was a security guard in a Krogers (Nolensville Road area)... They asked where I had gotten my holster from...

Now, I suspect the way I look, my manner of dress, the firearm and holster I carry all help with not getting unwanted attention from law enforcement.

I'm my personal belief that how you look has a huge impact on how much negative attention you draw... Wear a pair of dirty jeans and a rock t-shirt that prints very badly IMHO is a lot more likely to draw the attention of the public or LEOs, than if you're wearing a nice button down long sleeve shirt and a pair of 5.11 pants and open carrying on your belt.

I carry a G19 in a Serpa Level 2 holster on a daily basis... You're going to hear a lot of anti-owb/open carry arguments here on TGO... There are very valid points to trying to carry concealed if possible...

My style of dress generally does not support concealment of a compact firearm such as the Glock 19, I wear slacks and a tucked in dress shirt, this makes truly concealed carry very difficult for me. (I know all about tuckable holsters and they're uncomfortable POS in my opinion)... When I have a choice, I cover up... I wear a 'Shoot me vest' or a jacket when possible... I'm in my mid-30's I'm not going to change my style of dress just to carry a firearm to protect myself, people who suggest you buy bigger clothes, or change your style of dress are wrong IMHO.

Now, here is my general rule in life, it's better to open carry than it is to leave your firearm at home. Even with the 'disadvantage' (which there is no scientific proof of) of open carry, it's better to be armed than disarmed.

So I tend to open carry a lot... almost daily, in all sorts of environments... I've come in contact dozens of times (probably nearly 100 different officers) with LEO's, I've NEVER been approached, not once, never been asked if I even have a HCP, and for sure have never had my firearm taken for 'officer safety'. I've only once been approached by anybody else, and that was a security guard in a Krogers (Nolensville Road area)... They asked where I had gotten my holster from...

Now, I suspect the way I look, my manner of dress, the firearm and holster I carry all help with not getting unwanted attention from law enforcement.

I'm my personal belief that how you look has a huge impact on how much negative attention you draw... Wear a pair of dirty jeans and a rock t-shirt that prints very badly IMHO is a lot more likely to draw the attention of the public or LEOs, than if you're wearing a nice button down long sleeve shirt and a pair of 5.11 pants and open carrying on your belt.

That is sound logic. Actually, an open carry guy in a suit, what my mind says is "detective". Use the TV stereotype to your advantage, in this case.

I agree with most of what you said. In the same circumstances, I went on a quest to deal with the situation and what I came up with was pocket carry. There are a lot of solid 9mm and .40 cal pistols that will fit into a man's pockets (not to mention the mouse guns) in dress pants or jeans (sorry ladies, your pockets are too small). Not to say its any better, clearly what you are doing is working for you, just saying that is how I dealt with the same issue (dress clothing). These days, with phones and pads and wallets and all the other junk a man might have, a bulged pocket is not realy remarkable so long as you disguise the shape/print (I put an empty wallet in front of mine), and I do not own a cellphone, so the amount of junk I have makes sense at a glance.

I usually wear a suit to work, so I pocket carry an LCP in those instances. In street clothes (jeans, untucked shirts, jacket now that its gotten cold) I carry the G22. My preference would be to shoulder carry a service size Glock when i wear my suits, but I usually pull my coat off when I get to the office. I'm not sure what my employers stand on CCW is - but if its hidden its not a problem.

I've got no problem with open carry, and around here, I bet that most people (assuming they even notice the firearm) would assume a well dressed individual with a gun in a nice holster is an undercover LEO. Open carry just isn't something I want to do.

I carry a P3AT as a BUG as well... but there are times that I carry deposits to the bank, or have to go to one of the businesses late at night, and I'm just not comfortable with 6+1 380 rounds plus a backup mag, I want something more :)

I'm luck I don't have the work problem :) Since I'm self employed I can carry what I want to while working.

I don't ever wear untucked shirts... when I go out it's 5.11 pants or slacks and a tucked in button down shirt... just my style of dress, when the weather permits I wear a shoot me vest or jacket to conceal :) The sumner poses a bigger problem, since I often wear shorts while out and about...

I'm not trying to sell my style of carry to anybody else :) Everybody is different and they have to find what works best for them.. what is comfortable for them... I'm a lot less concerned about open carry than I am about being caught without a firearm when I need it...

That is sound logic. Actually, an open carry guy in a suit, what my mind says is "detective". Use the TV stereotype to your advantage, in this case.

I agree with most of what you said. In the same circumstances, I went on a quest to deal with the situation and what I came up with was pocket carry. There are a lot of solid 9mm and .40 cal pistols that will fit into a man's pockets (not to mention the mouse guns) in dress pants or jeans (sorry ladies, your pockets are too small). Not to say its any better, clearly what you are doing is working for you, just saying that is how I dealt with the same issue (dress clothing). These days, with phones and pads and wallets and all the other junk a man might have, a bulged pocket is not realy remarkable so long as you disguise the shape/print (I put an empty wallet in front of mine), and I do not own a cellphone, so the amount of junk I have makes sense at a glance.

Edited by JayC

i like all inputs but jayc was the best thanks to all that responded the cop question was mostly just to see if any one had bad experiences with officers as i am going to school to become one,so open carry not a biggie for me but i love to hear input on all subjects and i like the idea that a criminal will leave me at a disadvantage if he sees my weapon in an open carry senario but as one said its better to open carry then to not have at all.great input guys and keep up the good work

I'm thin too, and it does make hiding it harder. I have found that 6 o'clock carry hides it the best with an IWB. The recess at the small of the back makes a nice space to minimize the bulging gun/holster. It's fine for walking around, but it's not very comfortable seated, so I never carry there, though it does hide better. It would also hurt like hell if you slipped on an icy sidewalk. if you go far enough towards the small of your back, consider a holster built for your opposite hand. I'm right handed, and can draw easily from about the 4:00 or 4:30 position with a right handed holster. If I were to go further around, I'd prefer a left-handed holster, but still draw with my right. The lefty will switch the direction the grip is pointed. That's true of both IWB (Inside the Waistband) and OWB (Outside the Waistband) holsters.

I would recommend a different holster. Tomorrow.

The serpa has some major issues. The release jams very easily when any debris gets behind it and it has been a factor in several negligent discharges.

Mike

I was just about to post the same thing .. . . +1