Chamber empty or one in?

Guest carbonarcher

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking for advice here,

How do you all carry your pistol?

Do you carry with one in the chamber, or full mag. and empty chamber?

Thanks

So basically you're asking, "Do you carry a gun or a rock?" ;)

Guess you know my answer. :mad:

I carry CZ75BD at half-cock with a round in the chamber. Best way to carry if you ask me.

Depends on the gun. With a Series 80 1911 there is no benefit that I know of to carrying half-cocked, unless you're the guy attacking the guy with a half-cocked pistol. And of course with many guns this isn't even an option.

[...]If you are worried about carrying a gun with no safety (glock, XD, etc.) [.]

Careful now. Glocks and XD's both have safeties. Multiple in fact. They just aren't of the "click on and off" variety.

Personally, I think carrying either one in the chamber or not is fine but whichever method is chosen, I'd advise that you always do it the same way so that if you have to face down a bad guy you don't have to remember whether you need to rack the slide or not.

That said, I think it's better to and I ALWAYS carry one in the chamber and a fully loaded magazine.

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest uofmeet
... I briefly carried with the chamber empty when I first started, but as I gained confidence in my equipment, I started carrying chambered...

I was the same way. At first I didn't carry chambered, now I Always do and don't even think twice about it. I just want to be able to aim and shoot if I ever need to. I do not want any extra steps.....

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se
I'm not a 100% on this, but I don't believe a blank will cycle a real weapon. It has to be modified. At any rate that's just a really bad idea.

Plus its not like no one has even been killed by a blank being fired to closely.

I'm not a 100% on this, but I don't believe a blank will cycle a real weapon. It has to be modified. At any rate that's just a really bad idea.

It may depend on the weapon. But in the Army we trained with blanks all the time using our assigned weapons. While in my experience you were more likely to have a misfire with blanks, they certainly would cycle.

How do you carry one in the chamber without the weapon cocked and locked?

Put one in the chamber, decock, safety off.

This is the video of the guy who can snap a Glock one handed. By his admission, he would only do this is a gaming setup, not in real life. However, there is another video somewhere of him doing this with several other pistols, M&P, different Glock models, and something else. I don't want to get into the arguement of whether his guns are modified or not, but if you want to carry without one in the chamber, practice this, and best of luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8475ocNvzw

Mac

EDIT: Personally, I carry an empty weapon, and keep the bullet in my shirt pocket. Cause I roll like that.

Edited by McAllyn

I can 100% confirm that is incorrect. I was in Nashville last month shooting a movie and talked to our armorer one night when we were shooting a crime scene. He was using a regular Beretta 92 with blanks and it was cycling just fine. From 4 feet away I was getting hit with bits of gunpowder and plenty of percussion, but then again they weren't aiming right at me, just to the left of me (I was operating camera)

I can 100% confirm that is incorrect. I was in Nashville last month shooting a movie and talked to our armorer one night when we were shooting a crime scene. He was using a regular Beretta 92 with blanks and it was cycling just fine. From 4 feet away I was getting hit with bits of gunpowder and plenty of percussion, but then again they weren't aiming right at me, just to the left of me (I was operating camera)

Then why these?

AK47 Threaded Blank Firing Adapter

Blank Firing Adapter - Yellow (fits M4)

Most auto-loaders won't cycle with blank ammunition any more than they will with bird shot or extremely light loads. There's just not enough recoil impulse. And for gas-operated rifles, there's no "plug" (the bullet) to force the gas into the gas tube. So, most "Hollywood" guns are modified to work with blanks.

Are you sure the one you were filming wasn't altered in some way? Sometimes a restrictor will be inserted into the barrel or chamber, with a smaller aperture, to increase the recoil forces. You can see it in the end of the barrel of full-auto weapons in a lot of old war movies, as a matter of fact...

Edited by Jamie