What you did for Christmas.

mav

What did you guys do for Christmas? Anything special?

Did you give or receive any cool gifts?

To answer my own question, I didn't really do all that much. Since we had a pretty decent snow, we decided not to go to my sister's house and celebrate with them this year. I have sat around the house doing some reading, watched a few 24 season 8 episodes, watched people slip and slide while trying to make it up the hill in my subdivision, made a few calls to family wishing them a Merry Christmas, and fooled around on TGO. ( I am still waiting for a response to what a Camden drop is.) :koolaid:

As far as gifts go, my mother bought me a nice jacket to go running in and a few pairs of jeans. I was gracious towards her, but it made me a little irritated because she doesn't really have the money to spend on me.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

I googled camden drop yesterday and only saw camden drop-leaf tables and camden drop desks.

Daughter is grown and didn't have to assemble any bikes or easy-bake ovens. Me and wife don't want much and whatever we want we buy, so we didn't even exchange token presents. She wants another small TV in the back room when we get EPB fiber installed. Sent a check to salvation army and cash to the kids. Cash always works.

Had christmas eve dinner with relatives yesterday noon.

Coon hounds love the snow. They were running around like maniacs in the woods, now resting up in their favorite easy chairs.

Did routine saturday house cleaning. Looks like a good day to cook a big pot of soup.

Last night wasn't anything on TV as usual. I noticed some new declassified 1950's nuclear test films and military propaganda films. I like watching old nuclear test footage and vintage cold war military propaganda.

Edited by Lester Weevils

I recieved a wonderful gift from my wife--a complete surprise. As I was unwrapping a framed picture, I was stunned...It was a picture of my dad taken about 1960 on a range with his shooting club. He was in the front of a line of four shooters with his favorite Winchester bolt-action 22; his homemade range box, that I still have by him; and in the background was his was his 56 Buick Coupe. Just a nice picture? Yes, very nice. But what's special about it? I'd never seen the picture before.

My wife and Mom had found this and planned it for me. Not only a very special gift, but the Mom's last gift for me. We lost her in August.

We all just hung out here at the house and let the kid and the dogs enjoy the day and their presents. My wife and I always do out "Christmas" in February, when we get out income tax return, so there's no gift-exchanging with us now. We did snap a few ( Well, a lot actually. It only snows on Christmas here infrequently, y'know... ) pics, watched a movie or three, and talked to some of the relatives on the phone... but in general just didn't get too wound-up over the day.

Holidays are supposed to be happy, after all, not frantic and stressful.

Edited by Jamie
I recieved a wonderful gift from my wife--a complete surprise. As I was unwrapping a framed picture, I was stunned...It was a picture of my dad taken about 1960 on a range with his shooting club. He was in the front of a line of four shooters with his favorite Winchester bolt-action 22; his homemade range box, that I still have by him; and in the background was his was his 56 Buick Coupe. Just a nice picture? Yes, very nice. But what's special about it? I'd never seen the picture before.

My wife and Mom had found this and planned it for me. Not only a very special gift, but the Mom's last gift for me. We lost her in August.

Sorry to hear about your mom. We just lost my dad on Tuesday night.

Went to my brothers house last night and exchanged gifts. Then opened gifts at my Mom's house this morning. Then went to my Grandparents house for breakfast and to exchange gifts with them. And then back to my Mom's house for dinner with her side of the family. We got about two inches of snow here so I took my camera out and took some pictures in the woods. And played some COD on xbox this afternoon. Good day.

Sorry to hear about your mom. We just lost my dad on Tuesday night.

Thanks. I 'm very sorry for your loss as well and will keep you in my prayers. A loss at any time is horrible, but around Christmas just makes it that much harder to get thru. You so much want and need to gather and comfort each other as well as commerate the memories, but it makes celebrating so very difficult as it affects everyone around you as well as the family and friends. Be strong and hold your family tightly. God Bless.

I took my wife to see her parents. It was a bit of a drive to Hazard KY. We came back today another long trip Discovered on the return trip, Need to replace her wipers again. She has not told me about having any problems, I will tell you they were a mess. It was mostly missing the passenager side. The driver side was mostly ok until I ran out of fluid with all the salt and stuff on the road.

Anyways, we are back, and wipes will be taken care of asap. Normally I would have taken care of them on the trip, but almost everything was closed.

Thanks. I 'm very sorry for your loss as well and will keep you in my prayers. A loss at any time is horrible, but around Christmas just makes it that much harder to get thru. You so much want and need to gather and comfort each other as well as commerate the memories, but it makes celebrating so very difficult as it affects everyone around you as well as the family and friends. Be strong and hold your family tightly. God Bless.

Thanks, it was a very aggressive lung cancer.

Spent the day as the only male in my house besides my dog lol Mom, Wife, Grandmother-in-law, sis-in-law, and niece were all here. Just did the normal presents and dinner thing. Had to work last night so I'm pretty fried.

Hipower ,Dralarms I'm very sorry for both your losses. I lost my Grandmother right after Christmas several years ago and it's just starting to get back to some normalcy with our Christmas stuff. Losing a loved one weighed pretty heavy on my mind today since we lost a patient at the end of my shift this morning and I spent some time with the family. I sincerely wish you guys the best and hope you find the comfort to get you through it.

After everyone else was settled and tended to this morning, I took Bella her stocking.

For those that don't know the story, this thread will fill you in on Bella, and what happened with her.

Anyway... Her stocking was hung up with everyone else's, and the things that should have been there were, this morning. She was here with us for most of this year, after all, so it only seemed appropriate to me. And once all the "dust" had settled, and all the wrapping paper was ripped, shredded, and stuffed in the trash, I took Bella's stocking down, picked up a shovel, and headed up the hill to where she now rests.

As anyone here who's read my posts on religion and such knows, I have no idea if it was a meaningless gesture... or if somewhere, somehow, an old white dog with a brown mask got a new chew rope, a tennis ball, and a couple of dog treats this morning.

Meaningless or otherwise, I had to do it.

So, standing in the falling snow, on a cold Christmas morning, I left an old, sorely-missed friend the last thing I'll ever be able to give her.

I just hope that what some people believe is true, and that she actually got it.

Edited by Jamie
After everyone else was settled and tended to this morning, I took Bella her stocking.

For those that don't know the story, this thread will fill you in on Bella, and what happened with her.

Anyway... Her stocking was hung up with everyone else's, and the things that should have been there were, this morning. She was here with us for most of this year, after all, so it only seemed appropriate to me. And once all the "dust" had settled, and all the wrapping paper was ripped, shredded, and stuffed in the trash, I took Bella's stocking down, picked up a shovel, and headed up the hill to where she now rests.

As anyone here who's read my posts on religion and such knows, I have no idea if it was a meaningless gesture... or if somewhere, somehow, an old white dog with a brown mask got a new chew rope, a tennis ball, and a couple of dog treats this morning.

So, standing in the falling snow, on a cold Christmas morning, I left an old, sorely-missed friend the last thing I'll ever be able to give her.

I just hope that what some people believe is true, and that she actually got it.

;) FWIW my friend I like to think she did.

Guest Old goat

Early gifts with wife and daughter (11 y/o).Watched the grandaughter (3 y/o) open gifts and santa in Ga(skype).Had my parents and cousin(and her family) over for late breakfast, gifts, and visit. They left about 1:00. Put standing Rib in oven low and slow. Watch movie with wife and daughter, couple of drinks. Relax. Great dinner, just the 3 of us. Very nice Day

No Jamie, it wasn't meaningless. It was a fine thing to day. I know you miss Bella and always will. Juust keep her in your heart and she wil be with you forever.

Dralarms, Hipower ... ... I never have the right words, but will keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers. My experience is that the loss never heals, but the hurt does ease with time ... ... ... makes me appreciate who I still have all the more.

Jamie, you did good. I've buried a couple of great four-legged friends over the years, but thinking of the good times we had hunting, playing, or just sitting around still brings me a smile. FWIW, I still visit the last resting place of my unassuming friends at least a couple times a year, and still talk to them. So if you made a "meaningless gesture," I guess I'm certifiable. Understand your feelings, my friend.

As for my Christmas, we had family over on Christmas eve, and visited family on Christmas day. I ate too much, laughed a lot, got emotional a couple times, ate too much, got hugs for gifts that my better half picked out and gave, ate too much, and rested well. Pretty sure I'll be eating too much for a couple more days on leftovers. Oh, and gave my son what he'd been asking for: a Henry lever action .22. Looking forward to trying it out with him.

All in all, it was good. I'm thankful.

My wife and I celebrated Christmas at 12:00:01 with a very, very fussy 2 week old in my arms. He finally settled down about 1am only to wake up hungry at 2am, 4am, 6am, and 8am. Around then, his big brother woke up and we commenced with the present opening. About noon we headed to my in-laws to celebrate with her side of the family. Back home around 6pm with a very, very tired almost 3 yr old who didn't get his customary nap because he was far too busy playing with new toys and entertaining the family. We ate a simple dinner and got big brother in bed. Little brother must have been a little tired too as he went to sleep at about 10:30pm. (But was back up hungry at 12:30am, 3am, 5am... but technically that's the day after Christmas).

A good, if very tiring day. But they're all tiring these days. The white Christmas was a nice bonus. Snow is like crack for our dog.

As of 2000 hrs on Christmas Eve we locked the doors at Ft Living Room. The Wife, I and the two children have been just hanging out and spending time together. Twenty months was a long time apart. I feel like at home again. It's a state of mind.

We hope all had a great Holiday.

Edited by R1100R

While I don't believe animals have souls like humans, I do believe God will make it possible for us to enjoy them again. Although I'm not entirely sure my Weimariner was sent from Heaven or Hell sometimes! :) Hope this

helps.

In Revelation 5:8-13 all creatures recognize Jesus as the Savior of the world and praise God right along with redeemed men.

In Psalm Psalm 145:-9-10,13,15-21 God loves all His creation and has made plans for all His children and the lesser creatures to enjoy His eternal Kingdom.

Romans 8:21-22 says "Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now"

I'm not gonna try sorting that one out, George. Like some folks say, that's well above my pay-grade, and I'm content to leave it that way. :shrug:

Besides, taking Bella her stocking probably falls a bit closer to what the Egyptians and some other cultures once believed than anything in the Christian doctrine. ;)

I'm not gonna try sorting that one out, George. Like some folks say, that's well above my pay-grade, and I'm content to leave it that way. :shrug:

Besides, taking Bella her stocking probably falls a bit closer to what the Egyptians and some other cultures once believed than anything in the Christian doctrine. ;)

Catholics have a "Blessing of Pets" every year. We like pets. I think they go to heaven! ;)

Catholics have a "Blessing of Pets" every year. We like pets. I think they go to heaven! :shrug:

I'm talking more about leaving objects in the grave or adding them later so the person/pet has them in the afterlife. Catholics do that one too?