it's offical my egineering degree has been awarded!

Guest buttonhook

Guest buttonhook

I finished my engineering/education classes this semester and the degrees have been awarded. I double majored and now it's off to grad school for my MBA......I start in the summer. I have 9 hours of my masters done already so I only have 27 hours left I'm planning to have it done by the spring of 2012

Edited by buttonhook
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest buttonhook

yeap! I'm a full time high school teacher, family man, and student....it's been rough but I'm very proud to say that I still managed to graduated cum laude

Edited by buttonhook

Congrats and excellent choice on the MBA. It'll help open lots of career doors for you. Be a little wary of the PhD... it tends to pigeon-hole you somewhat. Jobs become very few and far between, unless you intend to teach (and great if you do).

I have a BSME and MSME and would like to pursue an MBA but haven't found the opportunity. When I was in school I was asked about continuing on to a PhD. My response was... "A PhD? I don't need one, already know how to use a Post hole Digger." :D

Guest RevScottie
I finished my engineering/education classes this semester and the degrees have been awarded. I double majored and now it's off to grad school for my MBA......I start in the summer. I have 9 hours of my masters done already so I only have 27 hours left I'm planning to have it done by the spring of 2012

Do you know the difference between a pair of cowboy boots and a pair of engineer boots? On cowboy boots the BS is on the outside :D

Congrats!

the wife wants me to get my PhD. I dont know about that! I really dont like to write papers and I would have to write alot to finish that degree

Unless you're planning on teaching at a university or doing research for a larger company, I'm not sure it would gain you much in most job opportunities, YMMV.

BTW, in what area of engineering did you get your degree?

Kudos on getting so much done while holding a full-time+ job. Thats impressive enough, but to graduate with honors on top of that..."check out the big brain on buttonhook". Seriously, great job man.

My Computer Information Systems degree from MTSU is really a Bus. Admin. degree "with emphasis...". I've considered an MBA to get ahead in my field, but I really want a PhD, so I can teach.

Contratulations man!! I could tell you were an engineering student because of the spellling of "....egineering..."! Serously, congratulations, you have (...and are...) doung well.

All this from an old retired egineer!!

Kind regards,

Leroy

Guest Lester Weevils

Congrats, Buttonhook!

Contratulations man!! I could tell you were an engineering student because of the spellling of "....egineering..."!

True story-- The nice 30-something neighbor lady had been having trouble finding a good man. One day she told me she had met a promising local feller online who seemed nice and steady. But she had worries that he may be misrepresenting himself, because he couldn't spell and had horrible grammar. Worse than a school kid.

I said, "Don't worry. He is probably an engineer." She got the look of amazement, and said "He claims to be an engineer!" I said, "There's your proof!"

Guest buttonhook

Thanks guys....spelling(or typing) is not my strong suit. BAS Mechanical engineering and a BS secondary education are the degrees I just finished. I started a long time ago (over 19 years ago) and did three years as an aerospace Engineering major (at UTK) but I just couldn't keep going to school (too young to understand how important it was. I started college at 16 and by 19 I was still just too immature so i quit). But as you grow older you learn, I guess. A few years after that I went back to school and earned an AAS degree in CADD and a BA degree architectural design as well. (I know, I know I'm over educated and under paid, such is life) I used those for years in private industry (I designed schools) then an opportunity came along for me to teach high school students (architectural design/engineering) and I have been doing that for 8 years now.

I went back to earn a degree in education (for my current job), but the opp. came about to finish both degrees at the same time by taking a few extra classes so I did. I dont think I could have not finished the engineering degree I started so long ago, even if I had to do it when I retired.

The good thing about finishing my masters and poss. the PhD. is that each gives me an instant pay raise at my current job, (about $6,000/year for the masters and about $15,000/year for the PhD) along with more poss. options for the future. Such as teaching at the college level or even as a consultant (BIG$$$$) when I do retire or choose to do other things.

I would start the MBA program this spring but I took 18 hours this semester and I'm fried!!!!!!!

Edited by buttonhook
I would start the MBA program this spring but I took 18 hours this semester and I'm fried!!!!!!!

Good grief, man. No wonder! Did you ever get to sleep?! I took an 18 hour semester, a 21 hour semester, & another 18 hour semester in a row when I first went back to finish my degree. I was only delivering pizzas part-time and it was gruelling. I can't imagine how tough 18 hrs would be with a full-time job. You are definitely more tenacious than me.

Guest buttonhook

def. not something I want to repeat :D. I would have slept more if my three kids would have let me:bat:

BTW 21 hours your nuts!!!

Edited by buttonhook

Congratulations! That's a heck of an achievement. My son just graduated with one from UTK

and is working on a Masters, now, while being a TA and having a job in Oak Ridge. He doesn't

have a family, yet, though. Well done.

You can do more than teach or work at a large corporation with a Ph.D. It depends on what you want to do and how you market the degree. In engineering, the Ph.D. can be used to show you know how to work with large, unbounded problems and come up with workable solutions.

My recommendation is to make sure you know what you want to do with the Ph.D. Being called Dr. is cool but if that is the only reason for getting your Ph.D., it ain't worth the effort required to get the degree!

I went back to earn a degree in education (for my current job), but the opp. came about to finish both degrees at the same time by taking a few extra classes so I did. I dont think I could have not finished the engineering degree I started so long ago, even if I had to do it when I retired.

The good thing about finishing my masters and poss. the PhD. is that each gives me an instant pay raise at my current job, (about $6,000/year for the masters and about $15,000/year for the PhD) along with more poss. options for the future. Such as teaching at the college level or even as a consultant (BIG$$$$) when I do retire or choose to do other things.

If you intend on staying in academia, the the PhD is definitely the way to go. Not a requirement per se, but it will give you more opportunities. Just be prepared to move.

I did my share of 18hr semesters. But honestly, the worst one I ever had was 12hrs in a summer semester, all engineering classes. That sucked.

Guest buttonhook

yeah the summer thing was not fun I did 15 this summer....for part of that I was in KC, MO with a student (second year in a row...toot toot...My own horn).

Good thing he is a great kid and I didn't have to worry with him too much.

Guest buttonhook
You can do more than teach or work at a large corporation with a Ph.D. It depends on what you want to do and how you market the degree. In engineering, the Ph.D. can be used to show you know how to work with large, unbounded problems and come up with workable solutions.

My recommendation is to make sure you know what you want to do with the Ph.D. Being called Dr. is cool but if that is the only reason for getting your Ph.D., it ain't worth the effort required to get the degree!

I took some six sigma classes so i could market that later as well

Edited by buttonhook