what do you feel

Guest tripp

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Eagle One

I have a Ruger SP 101 and a S&W Mod. 60 and I really like both of them. They take turns being my favorite. The Mod. 60 has had a trigger job and is a little smoother and a little lighter when fired double action. Great guns but a little rude with full size grown up loads.

Guest Sgt. Joe
I had a Ruger SP101 snub nose. It would handle hand loads that your hands could not. Would recommend to anyone.

Those are my thoughts, I keep mine full of 38+p rounds but it will handle those 200grain 357's a whole lot longer than my hands and arms will.

I would recommend it, but not for a beginner nor for anything one would want to shoot a lot at the range, I am sure some folks can handle them very well but it is a handful for me.

It does have a "Last Forever" feel to it to me also.

Guest Plainsman

I'm not big on the revolver scene, but this thread has me interested enough to ask a very noob question: Whats the difference in all of these wheel guns, IE the S&W 686 vs 681 vs 66 vs 19? It seems they all can be had in the same caliber, same finish, same barrell length, etc, however with different prices.

I'm not big on the revolver scene, but this thread has me interested enough to ask a very noob question: Whats the difference in all of these wheel guns, IE the S&W 686 vs 681 vs 66 vs 19? It seems they all can be had in the same caliber, same finish, same barrell length, etc, however with different prices.

The Model 19 (Blue) and the Model 66 (SS) are the same pistol with different finishes with adjustable sights. They were an older model that was built on the K-Frame. The K-Frame is the same frame as the what the Model 10 (.38spl and what most LEO were armed with up until the 80's) is built on. The Model 681 (fixed sight) and the Model 686 (adjustable sight) are built on the newer L-Frame. Both are stainless steel. If you see a 581 (fixed sight) or a 586 (adjustable sight) then it's an L-Frame pistol but in blue.

Frames, options, caliber and finishes.

For example the 66 and 19 are the same gun; the 66 is stainless and the 19 is blue. They are K frames, and two of the most popular Police Duty Guns ever. The 686 was the new (Circa 1983) frame that was heavier than the K, but still lighter than the N frame. The 686 and the 586 took the place of the 66 and 19 as duty weapons.

A 681 is basically a 686 except with fixed sights. Owning and collecting Smith & Wesson’s is a great hobby. There are catalogs written on all the models they have made over 150 years.

I picked the 686 for the best because the OP said “All aroundâ€. To me that would mean Duty, Carry, and Competition. While I love my J frames they aren’t Duty or competition weapons.

Guest Plainsman
The Model 19 (Blue) and the Model 66 (SS) are the same pistol with different finishes with adjustable sights. They were an older model that was built on the K-Frame. The K-Frame is the same frame as the what the Model 10 (.38spl and what most LEO were armed with up until the 80's) is built on. The Model 681 (fixed sight) and the Model 686 (adjustable sight) are built on the newer L-Frame. Both are stainless steel. If you see a 581 (fixed sight) or a 586 (adjustable sight) then it's an L-Frame pistol but in blue.
Frames, options, caliber and finishes.

For example the 66 and 19 are the same gun; the 66 is stainless and the 19 is blue. They are K frames, and two of the most popular Police Duty Guns ever. The 686 was the new (Circa 1983) frame that was heavier than the K, but still lighter than the N frame. The 686 and the 586 took the place of the 66 and 19 as duty weapons.

A 681 is basically a 686 except with fixed sights. Owning and collecting Smith & Wesson’s is a great hobby. There are catalogs written on all the models they have made over 150 years.

I picked the 686 for the best because the OP said “All around”. To me that would mean Duty, Carry, and Competition. While I love my J frames they aren’t Duty or competition weapons.

Thank you very much for the information, gentlemen. I've done some searching since posting the question, and find that a 686 looks like it would have a place in my collection. I love the blued finish of the model 19, but it looks so classy I don't think I'd ever talk myself into carrying it out in the field.

Guest oldsmobile98

I have a S&W 620. I like it a lot. Very similar to the 686+, but with the two-piece barrel liner/shroud and with a semi-underlug instead of a full underlug. Best all-around in my opinion would be a Colt Python, closely followed by a S&W 686 pre-lock and a GP-100. They will all serve you well. The other S&W revolvers mentioned (27, 627, etc.) mentioned should do a great job too. If you do go with the 4" for concealed carry, make sure you get a solid gunbelt and a quality holster.

Guest Archminister01

GP100...miss it..had one for years. One day Ill get another. Owned a Smith 686 also...Guess I wouldnt say no to that one either. Both good weapons.

Guest mikedwood
rockman6, your right. I have a security six 6" barrell blued that I bought brand new 30 years ago. its been a great gun.

I was going to vote the Ruger Security Six. Just a great gun. I have a 2 3/4 and a 4" and that is my choice for all around favorite wheel gun, even though they don't make them anymore.

I think the best would be a Dan Wesson 15-2 .357 with different barrels. You can change the barrel to a 2.5" or 4" for cc, to a 6" for the range or to a 8" with scope for hunting. I have had mine for over 30 years and love it and it will still drive a tack. They are getting ready to reintroduce the pistol in stainless this year, with the interchanging barrels I think the first half of the year.