Looking for good truck gun

Guest smokinyoda

Guest smokinyoda

I have been looking for a "beater" to leave in my truck. Requirements are less than $300, high cap mags, and very dependable. I believe a Ruger P89 fills all the requirements. Also would be interested in a P91. If anyone has one, or knows where I can find a good used one please let me know.

Edited by smokinyoda
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest smokinyoda
How accurate does a gun have to be to defend yourself from someone inches away?

Thats kind of what I thought too, just making sure there wasn't a serious problem with the P89's.

none that I know of. are you looking for something that wont hurt real bad if stolen?HI-points are good from what everyboby says about them

Yeah, but truck guns really need to be always ready to use without being too ready to fire, if you know what I mean. Something SA/DA with a de-cocker or DAO is much preferred. That's why I stopped using my XD for a car gun. Good gun, but the wrong application.

Guest smokinyoda

Thanks for all the info everyone, I think I'm going with the P89. Now if I can just find one in decent shape for the right price. Tried to place a want to buy ad in the for sale/trade section but I guess I havn't been a member long enough. So if any one has one they would consider parting with give me a holler.

I have been looking for a 9mm "beater" to leave in my truck. Requirements are less than $300, high cap mags, and very dependable. I believe a Ruger P89 fills all the requirements, just wondering about the accuracy problems others have mentioned. If anyone has any other nominations, or knows where I can find a good used one please let me know.

to be honest, if you're going to use it as a truck gun, I would think that if its accurate at 15 feet, go with it...or is my idea of a truck gun not the same as yours?

My idea of a truck gun is one that I would use to a. stop a carjacker, b. stop an assailant at my drivers side/passenger's side door from causing harm to myself or my passenger...

:woohoo:

Guest smokinyoda
Used Smith 3rd generation ex-LE gun in DAO. Reliable as hammers, stainless finish, easy to get mags, usually come with night sights.
Do you have any in stock?
Guest DrBoomBoom

I'm sure he does. My wife bought me an ex-LE Smith 4566 (DA SA Decocker) from the Rabbi as a Valentine's present last year. It shoots FMJ POA, for some reason, it shoots lead a little low. Haven't tried a whole lot of range brands, WWB, Aguila, Remington, and my reloads. For home defense, I keep either Gold Dot JHP GDHPs, or Hornady JHP/XTP +P's. Never had a jam with it. Bought mags for under twenty bucks. Looks mean.

none that I know of. are you looking for something that wont hurt real bad if stolen?HI-points are good from what everyboby says about them

I'll have to agree with this. I do not want to leave a good weapon in the truck but would not worry much if anything happened to a hi-point. They are good guns. My sons have one each. They are cheap but they shoot every time.

Smith model 10, 64, or 19. (I keep all three as car guns) I know, no high cap, no fancy crap, but it will go boom and not jam. In really tight spots (like inside a truck) I'd wonder about always having enough room for the slide to do it's job and not choke. No worries with a revo. Maybe a little burn from the cylinder gap, but heck, it'll heal!

Guest HexHead
Smith model 10, 64, or 19. (I keep all three as car guns) I know, no high cap, no fancy crap, but it will go boom and not jam. In really tight spots (like inside a truck) I'd wonder about always having enough room for the slide to do it's job and not choke. No worries with a revo. Maybe a little burn from the cylinder gap, but heck, it'll heal!

Good point. In the confined cab of a truck, you don't want to worry about how you're holding the pistol and limp wristing it causing a jam.

I'll have to agree with this. I do not want to leave a good weapon in the truck but would not worry much if anything happened to a hi-point. They are good guns. My sons have one each. They are cheap but they shoot every time.

I had a highpoint 9mm and it was semi-accurate but any kind of rapid fire and that thing jammed up quick. Have they recently improved their QC or was their some magic I didnt figure out? Too bad sawed offs are illegal lol(truck gun).

I had a highpoint 9mm and it was semi-accurate but any kind of rapid fire and that thing jammed up quick. Have they recently improved their QC or was their some magic I didnt figure out? Too bad sawed offs are illegal lol(truck gun).

Technically, a pistol-grip shotgun can be converted to an AOW, with a barrel less than 18", and might be considered a 'pistol'. Just pay the $5 tax stamp to the ATF.

ETS_Inc does these all the time.

If you dont find a good deal on a local P89, I have around 6 of them in stock(buyers choice: 309.00 out the door), along with a ton of 3rd Gen Smiths.

Other good deals that come to mind:

Gen 3 Glock 23s for 399.00 out the door

Smith and Wesson Model 65s for 299.00 out the door.