First Time Gun Buyer

wcsc12

So...unfortunately, I'll apologize before hand because this may be a bit long winded but it's the road traveled thus far.

I've been wanting a gun since Christmas. I want a full size hand gun using 40 caliber bullets. The hard part is actually find a guy at a price point that I want to pay for it. So far, I've looked at the Glock 22 which is a nice gun and is pretty much the back up plan if I can't find something else. I've looked into Sig Sauer's guns and they are just amazing. I went to Coal Creek Armory and shot the P226 9mm variant and loved that gun but it's so insanely expensive that it's just not on the list. I also looked into the Sig Sauer P2022 which had really good prices around the $370 shipped mark but the barrel is too short for my tastes (.5" shorter than the Glock 22"). From there, I pretty much drew a blank. I don't know enough about any other brands or models of guns out there.

So...any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, everyone I know either owns Glocks, Sigs, or H&K's.

Edit: interesting having to use html tags for spaces in between lines :popcorn:

Update

I orderd a Sig Sauer P226. I decided in the end to take the advice earlier in the post and get what I want at first and enjoy it.

Edited by wcsc12
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might help us, help you, if we knew what you intend to do with the pistol. Target practice, self defense at home, carry, etc?

Sorry...all of the above really. Mostly for just shooting around at a range and target practice. I may carry it on me (after the course and permit of course) at some point as well.

One piece of advice, while price is obviously a big major factor in your specific situation, don't let it be the final decision maker. If you do, you won't be satisfied for very long and you'll be looking for something else in no time. Then you're money behind on selling the first purchase. Find what you really want and save up for it however long it takes you.

My Father gave me some real good advice early on in life, "get what you really want the first time, otherwise you'll never be satisfied".

check out the glock model 30sf. sweet carry pistol with stopping power, but not the best range plinker. The m&p line is a really fun gun at the range and priced right. So many choices it is hard to pick just one.

If you can afford .40 ammo, you can affored any gun chambered for it.... its gold plated instead of copper, apparently...

All kidding aside, lets take a look.

CZ 75 in .40 has a 4.7 barrel and is 1/2 inch total longer than the glock. Its a DA, not a DAO like the glock (or whatever words to that effect). MSRP is $525. A second model is under $500, I cannot find a model name on them, but look at their site or google it.

Ruger P94 is a CHEAP GUN with a 4.5 length barrel and DA style. I have a 9mm version of this and its an awesome gun that I got used for about $250 + fees. A new one is around $500 I think.

Even cheaper is hi-point's 40/45 platform. A $200-300 price tag I think. 4.5 barrel. Lots of haters of the brand yet the site where I saw it gave it 4 out of 5 bullets for overall review.

The EAA witness is a good gun for the money, 4.5 barrel and longish frame.

The bersa thunder is also quite cheap, 4.3 barrel and a much better gun for concealed carry than most of the above monsters.

Most of them are DA, not DAO/glockish design. Is that a problem? I just listed the ones I found in a hurry from brands that I know mostly put out good products (the only questionable one was hi-point, which I am not sure of their quality, never held one). My criteria for the search was a 4.25 to 5 inch barrel and under $600 in price. There are plenty that I did not list as well, but maybe these will get you started if a DA is acceptable.

If you want a DAO or similar action, I can put that in the criteria and try again, but those are less common in .40 in the size you wanted, the large frames are DA usually.

There are certainly some very fine firearms out there at reasonable prices than can double as both a "fun" target shooter as well as a carry weapon...the Glocks are certainly one of those.

That said, before I bought anything you aren't familiar with I would (as you've already started) rent one and shoot with it and see what you really like. If you were closed to Nashville/Murfreesboro I'd be happy to go to a local range with you and let you shoot some of mine....I'm sure there are some TGO members in your area who would do the same.

I guess what I'm saying is; don't rush into a purchase...take your time...figure out what you really like...maybe if what you really like is just a "bit" out of reach then save for a little while and then get what you really want.

I've owned as Sig (P220) and it was a truly excellent gun so if that's what you want then get it even if you have to wait a while...also keep your eyes on the firearms classifieds here on TGO; there are always good deals to be had here.

For my money it's really hard to beat a Glock 23. It's a little smaller than a 22, without losing a full-size grip. Very fun at the range, easy to carry concealed, and reliable as heck. With a little looking around, they're pretty easy to find in the $400-$450 range (GlockTalk.com is where I'd start shopping). You can also join the GSSF (Glock Sport Shooting Foundation) for $35 and purchase one Glock per year at Law Enforcement price...$425 for a brand new Glock 23 (Gen3 or Gen4) with 3 magazines. Several shops around town honor the GSSF pricing, and there are a couple of good purchase options online (Ed's Public Safety, for one).

Good luck with your search!

Guest bnoland

I have a glock 23 for my personal carry and a sig229 that is my duty weapon. Both are about the same size length wise with the sig having a fatter grip. Both are great weapons. We shoot out to 25 yards with pistols for our yearly qualifications at work and I have no issues hitting on target and it can stretch out farther than that if need be. If you plan to carry it at all I would go with something around the size of a glock23. It holds plenty of rounds and still conceals well. I had a Springfield XD subcompact before my glock and it was great but the shorter grip is a pain at times and I have fairly small hands. It's going to boil down to what you plan to use it for but unless it is going to be solely a range/target gun I would go with a compact size pistol.

Over the life of the gun, you are going to spend much much more on ammo than you are the gun itself. In short, don't skimp. Also, don't get hung up on barrel length. In 99% of peoples' hands, a 3 inch bbl will be just as accurate as a five incher. There will be some difference in velocity but it is negligible. If you want to see some great shooting with a short barrel, look on YouTube for Hikock45 and his Glock 26 and 27 videos.

Guest raflomo

Well I'm no help on suggestions for a new one but I will share what I did (or am doing).I really wanted to start shooting so after reading and researching on it,I bought a Hi-point.Sure ,I may be riddiculed for saying that BUT it got me to shooting while I could learn about other guns before I spent the dough .I only paid 150 for it and have been shooting it for 2 months now while I am saving for an XD.I have shot over 400 through it without any problems.It is not one you would want to carry but it is fun for target practice.If you consider it,the HP's 40 and 45 are less than 200.

The 9mm is the cheapest pistol to shoot of all centerfire ammo. It's not a bad self defense round either. I know you didn't ask about that but I just thought, if you are new to shooting, you might not know. The 40 S&W round is like a 9mm on steriods. It has the stopping power of a 45acp, more or less. The .45acp is a big slow moving round. It has much less pressure than a 40 S&W. Before I bought a 40, I would get a 9mm and a 45acp. Although I love my Springfield XDm-40, I don't shoot it much. I shoot 9mm and 45acp mostly.

Getting back to your original post.....If you pay the extra money for a Sig, you will get it back when you sell it. They retain value better than any pistol I know of besides H&K. I consider Sig and H&K the best polymer pistols on earth, but I own Glocks and Springfileds because they are more affordable, just as reliable and to really appreciate the difference you have to be a good shot and I'm not a good shot....yet.

this is a very hard decision .. not sure what sort of person you are... what you want... etc, do you like metal or plastic? glocks are a nice choice but have no tangible safty... for the price... FNP 40 is a nice gun and has a safty (plastic of course) the beretta 96 is a nice gun all metal and has a safty, the M&P 40 is also a nice pic you can get them with or without a safty, friend of mine has a FNP 9 SAO black frame and silver slide and loves it, glocks are NOT double action what so ever, they are single action... I picked up a S&W 4006 which is the basis of the 40 cal round and what the gun was made for, i picked one up used for a little under 400 and love it, big hunk of metal, look on gunsmerica.com that's where i got mine... on target in murfreesboro has a used one in there case right now :rolleyes: and its been there for a while so u might be able to get a good deal on it... California Highway Patrol still carries them... there is a lot to choose from around the 400 range which seems what you want to hang around

Guest Sgt. Joe

You may also want to take a look at Rugers new SR40. I have not fired one as of yet myself but I have only heard good things about them in the short time that they have been on the market. I do have both of the 9mm "SR" models and if the SR40 is anything like those it should be a fine weapon and within your price range.

Ruger® SR40™ Centerfire Pistol Models

It is always best to try and rent or borrow what ever you want to buy and shoot it before you commit your $$ to it. However I would think that finding an SR40 as a rental would be hard right now as it is rather new to the market.

At any rate Good Luck to ya and I hope you are happily shooting soon.:rolleyes:

GLOCK "SAFE ACTION" PISTOL

safeaction_pistol.jpg

THE top product among the small arms of the world is without doubt the GLOCK "Safe Action" pistol. It employs innovative safety features which makes the pistol easy to operate.

Glocks have three safeties, a trigger saferty, firing pin safety and a drop safety. They are called "double action only" pistols. They are double action not single action. 1911s are single action.

safeaction_pistol.jpg

THE top product among the small arms of the world is without doubt the GLOCK "Safe Action" pistol. It employs innovative safety features which makes the pistol easy to operate.

Glocks have three safeties, a trigger saferty, firing pin safety and a drop safety. They are called "double action only" pistols. They are double action not single action. 1911s are single action.

ok sir... tell me this... say if you had a lite strike on a round, try and pull the trigger again on that SAME round with out doing anything... ? tell me did it work?

Edited by carter

Although I'm not wild about the ergonomics, I would go with a Glock as well. Just to be upfront, I hate DA/SA triggers. I prefer SAO, but I don't have any problems with Glock's safe action. The other nice thing about Glocks is there is a plethora of aftermarket parts available.

Is there any reason you have chosen .40? If I was planning on shooting a lot at the range, I would consider a 9mm.

Guest bkelm18

I can see this degrading into a brand argument real fast. To the OP, get your hands on every pistol you can. Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, Sigs, Rugers, FN, etc are all quality weapons. If you're hung up on .40SW, then go for it, but I'm a 9mm guy myself. Cheaper to shoot. Find the gun that fits YOU, not what fits other peoples' inflated egos. :)

THE top product among the small arms of the world is without doubt the GLOCK "Safe Action" pistol.

Thats really going too far. Glocks are awesome, but "the top product" is a lot to swallow on a gun that has a long, heavy trigger pull and a design that makes recoil worse instead of better (ultra light weight and small size) as well as a very odd grip angle. Glock makes a fine product, sure, but the best?! Its not *that* good.

You really do want to look at the price of ammo before you buy any gun. .40 is just not worth it. 380 is another type that is not worth it as a range gun (its ok for a pocket pistol that you rarely shoot, and little else). 9mm is your best bet for a lot of range time unless you use a .22 (even cheaper). I always recommend at least one .22 for shooting practice, its just so much money saved to use the 22 sometimes, easily save $30 a night even over 9mm.

Edited by Jonnin
this is a very hard decision .. not sure what sort of person you are... what you want... etc, do you like metal or plastic? glocks are a nice choice but have no tangible safty... for the price... FNP 40 is a nice gun and has a safty (plastic of course) the beretta 96 is a nice gun all metal and has a safty, the M&P 40 is also a nice pic you can get them with or without a safty, friend of mine has a FNP 9 SAO black frame and silver slide and loves it, glocks are NOT double action what so ever, they are single action...

I had no idea FN made a SAO FNP-9. I had a DA/SA FNP-9. The gun had fantastic ergonomics. I would have kept it if it hadn't of been a DA/SA trigger, which I absolutely hated. I wouldn't mind shooting one of the SAO FNP-9s.