Aren't we still at war?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything is OK now that the King has taken over.

BTW, the economy is also doing well and those fuel prices you see....well.....just ignore them too.

Also, remember that we still have enemies wanting to kill us and to not forget our Troops and service members. :poop:

Go watch Restrepo and you'll be more disgusted than ever over the coverage of a self-absorbed druggie or some natural disaster in another country.

America is forgetting about the brave men and women who lay it on the line every day in Afghanistan and Iraq because the media is feeding them so much bullcrap that doesn't matter on iota. The sad part is most folks think talking about these stupid fads are cool and hip, while we have people literally dying for them daily.

I'm more and more convinced every day that this country is done. We're Rome II.

I remember Katie Courik beginning every 6pm newscast with an Iraq death toll. In the last couple of years, I haven't seen her do this. What's changed? Oh yeah....I think I know the answer.:poop:

The answer is obvious. I never watch Couric or CBS for the same reason CBS &

Cronkite screwed us grunts over during 'Nam. Slants & lies from the Lib. media.

Now that Osama is wearing the crown, you don't see all the body bags the media

were lining up to show when GW was Pres.

What else is new, huh?

"We've always been at war with Eastasia"

Quote from a great book!

I did hear a newscaster on the radio Friday state that we were better prepared for the high gas prices than we were the last time it happened. Great reporting.:D

Edited by gregintenn
I'm more and more convinced every day that this country is done. We're Rome II.

I agree totally. I can't even think of a scenario where this place recovers. I am to the point I could care less about an election in 2012. All we will have is the devil we know or the devil we don't yet know. Doubt there will be much difference between the two.

To call Katie Couric a journalist is an outrage. CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN... they are all the same. Some great points made here. Why aren't we seeing the brave soldiers who have died returning from Afghanistan when their remains arrive at Dover? Wasn't that a great outcry during Bush II? Funny how it ain't so fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

I'm with Crimson.... we are destroying our great U. S. society, a la Rome. Rep. Peter King wants to check out why good Muslims are being influenced by bad Muslims and you'd think he'd killed the Pope. Didn't the lefties want to do the same thing after Oklahoma City? But this is different! Oh, right. God, this makes my blood boil. I have a son-in-law in Afghanistan on is fourth deployment. God Bless all our brave women and men in uniform around the world. (sorry for the rant but i am sick of this crap).

"Are we still at war?"

I don't think so. At least not since September 2, 1945 (VJ Day). Best I can tell everything since has been

designated a "police action" or some other nonsense. Fence riding politicians want to make sure they can duck

responsibility if things turn out bad. Clint Eastwood, for all of his other faults has got it right: As a country we have lost our will to win.

But I think there is still hope....don't know where it's at but I do believe it is still out there. Gotta have hope.

Guest bkelm18
Can someone explain to me why we have been "at war" in the same two places for close to 10 years now?

I think that's the million dollar question.

Guest bkelm18
"Are we still at war?"

I don't think so. At least not since September 2, 1945 (VJ Day). Best I can tell everything since has been

designated a "police action" or some other nonsense. Fence riding politicians want to make sure they can duck

responsibility if things turn out bad. Clint Eastwood, for all of his other faults has got it right: As a country we have lost our will to win.

But I think there is still hope....don't know where it's at but I do believe it is still out there. Gotta have hope.

Something of interest, to me at least, if you look at the votes for the multiple War Declarations for WWII (against Japan, Italy, Germany, etc.), there was only 1 dissenting vote out of the House and Senate. Only one person voted nay for going to war with Japan. That was it. The rest of the declarations were 100% for it. How times have changed.

Can someone explain to me why we have been "at war" in the same two places for close to 10 years now?

heck due that's easy stuff. Someone or many someones are making a buttload of money off of it. Money is always the answer.

if there was no money at the root we would not be there. Idealism is really dead.

We don't have a "death count" anymore because nobody cares. The average American is not moved by how many Soldiers or Marines are dying every day, so long as it isn't him or his kid. We have a professional Army now and the Average Joe out there just considers it the GI's responsibility to die, isn't that what we pay him for? I came home from Nam in 72 after my third tour "in country" and nobody cared then either. I have nephews "in country" now and nobody but our family cares what happens to them.

It is far easier to put a ribbon on your truck bumper and be a patriot than to serve in uniform. No, "we" are not at war and haven't been since 1945. The GI's are at war, "we" are at WALMART!

Edited by wjh2657
...I never watch Couric or CBS for the same reason CBS &

Cronkite screwed us grunts over during 'Nam. ...

Feller named Lydon Baines Johnson and selected cronies such as Robert McNamara were the biggest liars in the entire affair, and should have been hung for murder and treason. Of course, they tried to do that to the main whistle blower, Daniel Ellsberg instead. Typical to shoot the messenger.

- OS

It is far easier to put a ribbon on your truck bumper and be a patriot than to serve in uniform.

Wow, you're going to go there, really?

Since I didn't serve, I'm neither a true patriot or a genuine supporter of our troops?

:rolleyes:

Guest HvyMtl

Katie Couric is not a journalist, some here have stated. Yet, she jammed up Palin so much, Palin looked totally incapable. Hmm. I am still trying to figure out how, "What do you read," is such a crushing question.

Liberal media? Right. Look who owns the media. It is the Corporate Media. What the Corporations want reported is what you see... Look who owns the Representatives, by who lobbies and supports them. It sure is not "We the People" anymore.

We only have "advisers" now in Iraq (last I checked, that usually does not end well to have "advisers" in a nation.) And I wonder why we are in Afghanistan still.

I just hope NK does not take advantage of the earthquake tsunami...

(And don't get me started on the Liberal Courts - 80+% of the Federal Bench is GOP appointed...)

We have lost this nation due to the Baby Boomers.

And it seems people cannot figure out the GOP and the Dems are wings of the same vulture.

Edited by HvyMtl
Katie Couric is not a journalist, some here have stated. Yet, she jammed up Palin so much, Palin looked totally incapable. Hmm. I am still trying to figure out how, "What do you read," is such a crushing question.

I think that is more a poor reflection of Palin than Couric...

That is the point. Supporting a war and being in a war are two totally different things. In a war Support means your rifle is aimed at the enemy and covering your buddy. Being in a war means you almost got killed today in a place you don't really want to be in. The word Patriot now just means you go along with whatever your government is doing. It used to mean you were in the trenches getting shot at. I supported this war by sending one of my sons. I supported a previous war by getting shot at, many times. I don't buy it that a sticker on your bumper puts anybody in the same class.

We are not at war. The troops are at war.

Guest friesepferd
That is the point. Supporting a war and being in a war are two totally different things. In a war Support means your rifle is aimed at the enemy and covering your buddy. Being in a war means you almost got killed today in a place you don't really want to be in. The word Patriot now just means you go along with whatever your government is doing. It used to mean you were in the trenches getting shot at. I supported this war by sending one of my sons. I supported a previous war by getting shot at, many times. I don't buy it that a sticker on your bumper puts anybody in the same class.

We are not at war. The troops are at war.

I dissagree that you or your son needs to be getting shot at to support the war.

There are plenty of other things you can do. You can send items to those overseas, you can support the local VA, you can babysit for your neighbor whose husband is overseas, you can work at a plant that makes ammo, armor, tanks, etc.

Being a patriot has nothing to do with being shot at. A Patriot is a person who supports and defends their country and its citizens; not necessarily their government.

This country was full of Patriots during WWII that never saw action or even joined the military. But if it weren’t for them we probably would have lost the war.

We don’t have many of those kinds of people left today. :)

Being "at war" is not a high school play or some kind of a civic activity. I am not out to knock those who support the troops. I do everything I can to help with keeping my nephews now (son has been back for awhile now) and their buddies supplied with mail and goodies. I am good friends with many men and women who have gone and are subject to go. I talk with them frequently. But I am not "at war" as denoted in OP.

People who work in armaments don't do it to "save Democracy" (as it truly was in WW2) but to make a living. And there is no real nationwide armament effort for these wars.

This nation , as a country, has not been at war since 1945. A nation at war is totally commitment, by everybody, to the war effort. England was at war in WWII, they had the blitz. The South Vietnamese were at war, they were bombed and killed by both sides. The people of Iraq were at war, everything went bad for them. Everybody suffered in this country, either in life style or loss of loved ones in WW2.

Having been, as have many posters on this forum, on the battlefield, I wish people who have no contact or suffer no loss in war would quit saying they are "at war."

War is not a "spectator sport." If you are not directly involved , facing death or the possible loss of a loved one, you are not in the game.

Continue support of those who are in harm's way, as much as you can. Just don't go around claiming that we are actually participants.

I say it again: The troops and their families are at war, the the rest of the country are leading normal lives.